Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Type

What type of multiple sclerosis do you have? How do you cope with the symptoms and your condition?

Comment from: Sya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am a patient with 9 relapses of multiple sclerosis. It took me sometime to accept but I guess I am a bit okay from the rest. I am happy, enjoying my life right now. It is just that I can't handle any stress for the time being. Being an RRMS (relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis) patient makes me feel more grateful with all the parts of the body that can be fully occupied.

Comment from: harleygirl13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

My first multiple sclerosis (MS) symptom was numbness in the fingers on my left hand. It only happened once in a while and I didn't think too much about it until I had nystagmus about 1 1/2 years ago. Then the balance and dizziness issues started as well as tingling in my left arm and right foot. The ophthalmologist I saw asked me how much I drink in a week! My answer was a firm 'nothing'! I also developed a headache that lasted about 2 weeks. The first neurologist I saw diagnosed me with migraines even though I've never had one in my life! I had no typical symptoms of that. I had all the standard testing for MS which only showed a small brain lesion. The second neurologist ordered different tests for other diseases, all of which showed nothing. My symptoms subsided until recently. I began dropping things and losing the dexterity in my fingers, have severe fatigue and muscle weakness. A horrible itch began on my chest with no rash present. I sometimes can't walk straight and fall onto walls and I get random prickles in my hands and legs. I am getting a new MRI tomorrow and hope to get a firm diagnosis from that. My neurologist is also testing me for myasthenia gravis disease.

Comment from: amartin7199, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I have primary progressive MS, and I'm 46 years old. I was diagnosed in 2005. I tried a lot of different medications, and now I'm taking Gilenya. I have 49 lesions on my brain. I also have a pain pump, which is a Godsend, to help deal with the pain. I also suffer a lot of fatigue, cramping, spasms in my neck, my hands, feet, calves, and thighs, and I'll spasm on either the right or the left side of my upper back. I have balance issues, memory problems, and headaches. I take it one day at a time. I pray for Christ's strength to get me through the day. That is the only way I can get through this. Christ gives me courage and faith.

Comment from: Emma, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My multiple sclerosis (MS) pain is so bad that the doctor prescribed fentanyl patches and oxycodone. They are the only things that help with the pain.

Comment from: Karenwhite911, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with progressive MS in 2004. I had a flare-up in 2010 that caused my left arms to stop functioning. I've tried therapy, but it is not helping. I am seeking something to help regain my life to be able to do things for myself. It is frustrating when it feels like nobody is trying to help you find some relief.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Diagnosis Question: How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Causes Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MS? What do you think the cause might be?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?