Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Causes

Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MS? What do you think the cause might be?

Comment from: Patience, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I think all our diseases that involve our nervous system is caused by chemicals that are sprayed in the air, on the ground and put in our foods. Chemicals that are not to be meant be consumed by human beings. I have a rare disease that leads back to pesticides and herbicides.

Comment from: nena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was diagnosed in 1986, before symptoms started. I am a pianist, suddenly unable to open my hands wide enough to get 8 keys. Nobody in my family had MS, nor my grandparents. Now a cousin younger than me has MS, she is 40. I have primary progressive MS. I do not walk for the last 18 years, I was born in 1952. I have had 6 strokes and 1 heart attack.

Comment from: mashaddy, 45-54 Female Published: February 18

Yes my ex-husband was diagnosed with MS and died after 7 years.

Comment from: Lwhit66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a number of attacks starting when I was 40. It started with a numbness that was terrifying, from the neck down, feelings of blacking out, pain in the back of the head, muscle spasms in stomach area, and the tightness in that area, then popping in the head, and pain behind my eyes. I also have had symptoms making it difficult to walk and days of lowered functioning. It began after we stayed in a house with mold in the basement. I was unable to sleep, and panicking, did go to the hospital several times. They were not able to make a diagnosis, and thought it was psychiatric, but couldn't diagnose, as I haven't those type of symptoms. Funny, because I had a scrape mark on arm and wrist and a mark from a dog bite (as well as marks on forehead and knee but it probably caused confusion). I did go to a neurologist who said it may be years before they can diagnose multiple sclerosis and can be a stress episode for 2 years. I have been feeling better except chronic tiredness, stabbing pains occasionally and small areas where it feels hot or cold. I have stopped panicking luckily, but I do think it could have been the mold exposure.

Comment from: zman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 06

In 2000 I underwent cancer surgery. While recovering, I noticed I needed to lift my left leg into my van. Over the next 2 - 3 years severe leg drag and numbness in my right hand ocurred. The next symptom was excruciating back pain while bending as I assisting my grandfather getting ready for bed. Additionally I was having trouble swallowing. Things would get stuck in my throat. My family doctor suggested seeing a neurologist. At the age of 51 I had 2 MRI's where plaque was finally discovered on my brain. My penmanship went from beautiful to scribble. I have taken daily injections of Copaxone since 2004 but it doesn't seem to help much. But if it helps retarding the loss of Myelin I will continue the injections. In 2010 I lost the function of my legs and need constant help getting in and out of bed or moving from room to room. I get depressed at times but I WILL NOT LET THIS DISEASE GET THE BETTER OF ME. For those of you who are angry or depressed just remember that you will NEVER receive more than you can handle!

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Diagnosis Question: How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Type Question: What type of multiple sclerosis do you have? How do you cope with the symptoms and your condition?