Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis - Diagnosis

How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?

Comment from: policy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) when I lost total sight in one eye from optic neuritis. I had an MRI which confirmed what I had suspected for years - I had MS. If you think you have it, seek another opinion if the doctor you see doesn't believe you. I went back to original doctor who still didn't think I had MS; until he saw the MRI. A small victory, since I was the one with MS and not the doctor. Get a second opinion, your instincts just might be right. It started out with numb hands, the doctor thought it was crimped spinal cord.

Comment from: melissawesley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

Her multiple sclerosis was diagnosed with an MRI spinal tap and an optic eye exam.

Comment from: Basseteer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

The 2nd neurologist got it right.

Comment from: mhle, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My 43 year old female friend loses her sight in her right eye, sometimes the left eye as well. She is very fatigued (she use to run half marathons), has nausea and headache. The doctor doesn"t think it is multiple sclerosis (MS), and ran tests to rule out a million other diseases. She had MRI done which shows nothing abnormal. She suffers daily and I don"t know what to do. I just have a feeling it is MS, she shows all the symptoms.

Comment from: 26+, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with MS at age 19, more than 25 years ago by my eye doctor, the first doctor I went to. In that time, water has been found on Mars, but no cure has been found for MS, cancer, arthritis, or Alzheimer's. Does anyone have their priorities straight?

Comment from: msgoetz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I honestly went through over 100 doctors if not more. I suffered what seemed to be a stroke but was told it wasn't a stroke. I found out in 2005 through a spinal tap that I had MS.

Comment from: RKelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I saw two primary care doctors, one infectious disease specialist, and five neurologists before I was diagnosed. I actually figured out that I had MS before the doctors did. I'm a pharmacist and did some online research. I am still amazed at how difficult it was to get a diagnosis. The first three neurologists wanted to call me an 'anxious female.' The last two neurologists were MS specialists and diagnosed me with 'probable MS' and then MS after watching me for a year.

Comment from: wandabond2000, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I went to seven different doctors until I finally found one who would listen to me. She referred me to a neurologist. After five MRIs and two spinal taps, they found the spot on my brain. I had been having MS symptoms for more than 10 years before I actually knew what was wrong with me.

Comment from: reddwine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm just turning 65 and have had back problems for years. I went to five different doctors over the years and finally the fifth doctor x-rayed my back. The results were startling. I would Google each coded diagnosis in "doctor talk" and all I could do was cry. I'm going to a Neuron Surgeon to get -I'm guessing- an MRI to find out if I have MS. Like my doctor said I probably had it; I hope I can begin to treat this illness with medication and others exercise which can help.

Multiple Sclerosis - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis - Causes Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MS? What do you think the cause might be?
Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Multiple Sclerosis - Type Question: What type of multiple sclerosis do you have? How do you cope with the symptoms and your condition?