Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Diagnosis

How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?

Comment from: rnnomore, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I awoke one morning in 2010 just prior to my 30th birthday with symptoms of stroke. Being a registered nurse, I knew my symptoms weren't typical. I couldn't control my arms, had no balance, couldn't see straight ahead (my face was literally missing in the mirror), freezing cold on one side, and had no taste sensation. Symptoms were so severe that stroke or brain tumor were top of the list for the doctors when I got to the emergency room. MRI showed neither, but many lesions and with brain stem involvement and swelling. Symptoms actually worsened with difficulty breathing, loss of speech, and seizures the first month, but gradually improved over 6 months. That was 6 years ago, but I am still here. I had to leave nursing this past year due to flares/progression, but now able to focus on quality of life and family. I have also stopped all multiple sclerosis medicines due to side effects. I am not sure if it is good or bad, but right for me.

Comment from: policy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with MS (multiple sclerosis) when I lost total sight in one eye from optic neuritis. I had an MRI which confirmed what I had suspected for years - I had MS. If you think you have it, seek another opinion if the doctor you see doesn't believe you. I went back to original doctor who still didn't think I had MS; until he saw the MRI. A small victory, since I was the one with MS and not the doctor. Get a second opinion, your instincts just might be right. It started out with numb hands, the doctor thought it was crimped spinal cord.

Comment from: sknarf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1995 after a 2nd bout with optic neuritis (right eye). Same neurologist/same treatment (Avonex) until just last month! So many other doors are open since seeking a specialist. Starting on Tysabri in the next couple of weeks. Never give up!

Comment from: melissawesley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

Her multiple sclerosis was diagnosed with an MRI spinal tap and an optic eye exam.

Comment from: Basseteer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

The 2nd neurologist got it right.

Comment from: mhle, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 22

My 43 year old female friend loses her sight in her right eye, sometimes the left eye as well. She is very fatigued (she use to run half marathons), has nausea and headache. The doctor doesn"t think it is multiple sclerosis (MS), and ran tests to rule out a million other diseases. She had MRI done which shows nothing abnormal. She suffers daily and I don"t know what to do. I just have a feeling it is MS, she shows all the symptoms.

Comment from: 26+, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with MS at age 19, more than 25 years ago by my eye doctor, the first doctor I went to. In that time, water has been found on Mars, but no cure has been found for MS, cancer, arthritis, or Alzheimer's. Does anyone have their priorities straight?

Comment from: RKelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I saw two primary care doctors, one infectious disease specialist, and five neurologists before I was diagnosed. I actually figured out that I had MS before the doctors did. I'm a pharmacist and did some online research. I am still amazed at how difficult it was to get a diagnosis. The first three neurologists wanted to call me an 'anxious female.' The last two neurologists were MS specialists and diagnosed me with 'probable MS' and then MS after watching me for a year.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Treatment Question: What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Causes Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MS? What do you think the cause might be?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Type Question: What type of multiple sclerosis do you have? How do you cope with the symptoms and your condition?