Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis - Treatment

What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?

Comment from: aliblu2888, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was told 10 years ago I had multiple sclerosis (MS) and that I would be in a wheel chair in 10 years. Well I"m not. I think a lot has to do with staying busy. I do this around the house and yard, take family/friend places, also a lot has to do with the medicine I take (injections 3 times a week), Rebif.

Comment from: cherie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I took Avonex for about ten years. I stopped because of elevated liver enzyme levels. I have frequent urinary tract infections, muscle spasms, drag my right foot, can't walk without the aid of walkers or a power chair. I have no balance and my back is very painful when I try to stand up straight, my legs give out on me and I can't get up, I'm like limp noodle. I fatigue very fast. I have diabetes, and struggle with my blood sugar levels. I'm over weight. I had open heart surgery, valve and triple bypass, but unable to exercise or walk.

Comment from: Robyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

There is really nothing currently for secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. When I had relapse I tried Avonex. I'm also on baclofen for muscle spasms, and Norco for pain. All of these meds deal with symptoms not a cure! How about something to make these symptoms go away!

Comment from: mgoekster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at age 50. I am still mobile but now use a cane. I have balance issues and some falling. I only take baclofen as the injectable medicine did seem to help. I am about to try other oral medicines.

Comment from: Lin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have Avonex. I had one serious flare up in 2000 which led to my diagnosis. I started on Avonex then and have been on it ever since. I have had no side effects nor flare ups since I started on the Avonex.

Comment from: melissawesley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

For multiple sclerosis we got her Copaxone treatments and physical therapy with occupational therapy. She is still having problems with memory loss and very frequent confusions in thought and cognitive thinking.

Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?