Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis - Treatment

What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?

A Doctor's View on Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Multiple sclerosis (MS) treatment consists of medications and lifestyle modification. There is no cure for MS but appropriate treatment can slow or stop attacks and relapses. Medications to treat multiple sclerosis can have serious side effects so you and your doctor need to discuss all the potential complications of treatments before choosing the one that's right for you. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Nini, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My 42 year old daughter was diagnosed with the relapsing-remitting form of multiple sclerosis (MS) 10 years ago. During the interview back then, it was suggested that she probably was first affected during college in 1990 when she suffered from hypothermia. Fast forward to some 5 months ago, Gilenya was discontinued by her insurance [she was never notified]; when she contacted the medical center, she was told her neurologist was no longer there and she was scheduled for an appointment April 29th 2014! About February 26th, she started the mother of all relapses, and still suffers from every possible symptom, but for memory loss [so far]. She was prescribed Copaxone and is on her 2nd week of medications. Sadly, this medicine has no impact on her current relapse. I am hoping and waiting. She has a wonderful new neurologist and we await any sign of improvement.

Comment from: aliblu2888, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was told 10 years ago I had multiple sclerosis (MS) and that I would be in a wheel chair in 10 years. Well I"m not. I think a lot has to do with staying busy. I do this around the house and yard, take family/friend places, also a lot has to do with the medicine I take (injections 3 times a week), Rebif.

Comment from: cherie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I took Avonex for about ten years. I stopped because of elevated liver enzyme levels. I have frequent urinary tract infections, muscle spasms, drag my right foot, can't walk without the aid of walkers or a power chair. I have no balance and my back is very painful when I try to stand up straight, my legs give out on me and I can't get up, I'm like limp noodle. I fatigue very fast. I have diabetes, and struggle with my blood sugar levels. I'm over weight. I had open heart surgery, valve and triple bypass, but unable to exercise or walk.

Comment from: Robyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

There is really nothing currently for secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. When I had relapse I tried Avonex. I'm also on baclofen for muscle spasms, and Norco for pain. All of these meds deal with symptoms not a cure! How about something to make these symptoms go away!

Comment from: mgoekster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at age 50. I am still mobile but now use a cane. I have balance issues and some falling. I only take baclofen as the injectable medicine did seem to help. I am about to try other oral medicines.

Comment from: melissawesley, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

For multiple sclerosis we got her Copaxone treatments and physical therapy with occupational therapy. She is still having problems with memory loss and very frequent confusions in thought and cognitive thinking.

Comment from: Lin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have Avonex. I had one serious flare up in 2000 which led to my diagnosis. I started on Avonex then and have been on it ever since. I have had no side effects nor flare ups since I started on the Avonex.

Comment from: Tina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I was diagnosed with MS in 2005 at the age of 44. I woke up one morning with numbness in my lower back and right leg. This was on a Thursday. By the weekend I was totally numb from the waist down. I couldn't feel my feet touching the floor. I saw my doctor on Monday and had an MRI to see if I had a disc problem. It was negative and she told me she feared MS. I was sent to a neurologist, had two more MRIs, and was told that night that I have four lesions on my spine – MS. I did the steroid treatments for three days, got my feeling back, then went numb from the waist up. I received more steroid treatments. My neurologist and I decided to go with the Rebif therapy. I have been taking shots since 2005 and nobody would ever know that I have MS. I lead a totally normal life. My doctor started me on medication immediately and I believe that is why my symptoms are gone. My lesions have even shrunk.

Multiple Sclerosis - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?
Multiple Sclerosis - Causes Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MS? What do you think the cause might be?
Multiple Sclerosis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Multiple Sclerosis - Type Question: What type of multiple sclerosis do you have? How do you cope with the symptoms and your condition?