Patient Comments: Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Treatment

What treatment have you had for multiple sclerosis?

A Doctor's View on Multiple Sclerosis Treatment

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Multiple sclerosis (MS) treatment consists of medications and lifestyle modification. There is no cure for MS but appropriate treatment can slow or stop attacks and relapses. Medications to treat multiple sclerosis can have serious side effects so you and your doctor need to discuss all the potential complications of treatments before choosing the one that's right for you. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Ron V, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 95 but had my first symptoms in 87. I tried Betaseron for about 6 years or so. In 2012 I went to a care facility, life was too difficult at home for my wife and family. I have tried several types of medications. I think you just have to let it run its course; currently both my legs are spasming mostly at night which makes sleeping difficult.

Comment from: sukh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Symptoms of multiple sclerosis occurred in 2013 but not understood. I was diagnosed in July 2014 (MRI). Treatment started with 1 gm steroid injection IV with 100 ml saline for 5 days tapered to oral 50 mg for 10 days, 40 mg for 10 days, 30 mg for 10 days, 20 mg for 10 days, 10 mg for 10 days 5 mg for 10 days, and finally 5 mg alternate days 10 times. I had improved walking balance, increased appetite, increased sugar demand, improved eyesight blurring, and improved mood swings. I also had interferon (glatiramer acetate (GA) 20 ml) injections in stomach/thigh region for 6 months, daily initially. Now the steroids are almost over, the appetite has gone down, and mood swings increased a bit. Urine urgency improved a bit after 7 GA injections, constipation is chronic and no improvement. I'm still using laxatives. Homeopathy medicine to improve symptoms is being started alongside today (10/10/2014).

Comment from: Alecia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 1 month after I turned 50. My grandma is 96 and had it since she was in her 20s. I have been on Copaxone, the first year was daily and now I am on 40 mg, 3 times a week. It has made a tremendous difference for me. Although the fatigue is what really gets to me. When I do too much, I do start to feel weak.

Comment from: Nini, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My 42 year old daughter was diagnosed with the relapsing-remitting form of multiple sclerosis (MS) 10 years ago. During the interview back then, it was suggested that she probably was first affected during college in 1990 when she suffered from hypothermia. Fast forward to some 5 months ago, Gilenya was discontinued by her insurance [she was never notified]; when she contacted the medical center, she was told her neurologist was no longer there and she was scheduled for an appointment April 29th 2014! About February 26th, she started the mother of all relapses, and still suffers from every possible symptom, but for memory loss [so far]. She was prescribed Copaxone and is on her 2nd week of medications. Sadly, this medicine has no impact on her current relapse. I am hoping and waiting. She has a wonderful new neurologist and we await any sign of improvement.

Comment from: laurelin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I have had multiple sclerosis for half my life, I am 34. I recently started Tecfidera. I see no mental side effects, but I feel really wrong and family and friends don't want to be around me.

Comment from: aliblu2888, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was told 10 years ago I had multiple sclerosis (MS) and that I would be in a wheel chair in 10 years. Well I"m not. I think a lot has to do with staying busy. I do this around the house and yard, take family/friend places, also a lot has to do with the medicine I take (injections 3 times a week), Rebif.

Comment from: cherie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I took Avonex for about ten years. I stopped because of elevated liver enzyme levels. I have frequent urinary tract infections, muscle spasms, drag my right foot, can't walk without the aid of walkers or a power chair. I have no balance and my back is very painful when I try to stand up straight, my legs give out on me and I can't get up, I'm like limp noodle. I fatigue very fast. I have diabetes, and struggle with my blood sugar levels. I'm over weight. I had open heart surgery, valve and triple bypass, but unable to exercise or walk.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Prognosis Question: What's the prognosis with your multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Diagnosis Question: How was your multiple sclerosis diagnosed?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Causes Question: Were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with MS? What do you think the cause might be?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of multiple sclerosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) - Type Question: What type of multiple sclerosis do you have? How do you cope with the symptoms and your condition?