Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: love u dad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My dad is 56 with multiple myeloma (MM) stage 2. He had his first stem cell 9 months after we found out. We were told it should last about 10 years only lasted 1.5 years. He had a second stem cell done about a year after, he keeps breaking and fracturing bones and now they have given him a painful year to live. I have read a lot of positive things on this site however this cancer is terrible, with a nasty ending.

Comment from: Tricia, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My 90 year old dad has multiple myeloma. He has had 2 kyphoplasty surgeries for broken leg. Rehab helped with all this, plus home health. He is now what I call in remission. He can go to doctor visits and walk on his walker. He has had myeloma over 5 years. My Dad's attitude has helped him. He loves life and is very happy, telling jokes and loving the great grandkids! Has very little pain now. He is not doing any treatments. He does have Procrit shots as needed.

Comment from: Becky Craze, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I started down the path of MM (multiple myeloma) about three years ago. In May I went to Ohio State to check into a stem cell transplant and they are projecting that in the next two years I will need one, but my local oncologist says it won't be that long. So far I have been able to dodge chemotherapy but I am going for blood work every 6 weeks now. The last M-1 spike was 4.8 and judging from past progression my doctor thinks it will be 5.2 this time.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I had a fall at work which I did not consider serious but eventually saw my GP about as I was always tired - sleeping for hours- and had pain in my ribs and left leg; the latter I put down to the fall. The GP misdiagnosed the pain as nerve damage and prescribed a large dose of anti-inflammatories which shut down my kidneys (already damaged by the myeloma) and nearly killed me. Blood tests revealed the myeloma and the fact that my kidneys were functioning at about 10%. I have had several courses of chemo (Velcade) and I am, at the moment, stable with about 26% kidney function. I also have lumbar plexoplathy and have suffered a heart attack. So it is sometimes difficult to know which of my ailments is responsible for which symptoms.

Comment from: Joseph1946, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

Prognosis means, ultimately, "how long do I have?" But that question is not a valid use of survival statistics, which should be used primarily in assessing the best treatment for the stage that is presenting. This is because it is based on dead people. You are not dead, so you are not included. I was diagnosed with Stage III-B MM, type lambda, (- B means with kidney damage)with 90% marrow plasma cells, in March of 1993. I had a three-year remission with my first chemo of intermittent high-dose dexamethasone. After three years, when a small amount of Bence-Jones protein was found, I enrolled in a clinical trial "Intensification of Stem Cell Transplantation," in November of 1996, and have had no detectable disease since that time. I still monitor, but now at six-month intervals. Prognosis? Anything is possible, even for late stage MM like mine. When people ask me what I do, I tell them that I "rewrite medical statistics."

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

After leaving MD Anderson I continued chemo and developed a urinary tract infection which affected my ability to think and remember things. I was admitted to a local hospital and transferred to MN Anderson. They treated the UTI and put me on a strong chemo medication. I had to spend awhile in rehab to regain my strength. I had another bout of pneumonia due to anemia which required 2 units of blood. It is good to tell you I have been in remission for 4 months, have been able to have kyphoplasty yesterday which we ate hopeful will ease the pain from the fractured vertebrae. I am a happy person today!

Comment from: tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I'm 45 years old and found out two months ago that I have multiple myeloma. I went to the hospital for neck pains and my c-2 vertebra was fractured. I have been doing radiation and chemotherapy. I'm at stage 3 and they have me scheduled to have a stem cell and a bone marrow transplant. To be honest I'm very scared about this because it has not been a very comfortable ride so far. I'm a single father and really hate for my kids to see me weak and down.

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?