Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: 1224, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My best friend's sister who is 12 has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma and she has been given 5 years.

Comment from: Husband and father, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2011 and received his first stem cell transplant. He was in remission for 2 short years. When it came back he developed spinal cord tumors causing permanent damage. In two short weeks he went from walking to wheelchair. He had a 2nd stem cell transplant and we are hoping this one lasts a little longer. A year ago we didn't think he would see our youngest graduate from college, now it looks like he may get the chance to see her graduate with her masters.

Comment from: cesar.2, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 03

My husband was diagnosed in 2011 with multiple myeloma. His first presenting symptoms were fractured rib and back pain. After numerous tests, x-ray and MRI, he had bone marrow biopsy and we had his diagnosis. We struggled through chemotherapy for 6 months including pneumonia. He had a stem cell transplant in 2012, and his remission lasted 1.5 years. He has had a terrible 10 months. He started chemotherapy again but developed arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in colon, had bleeding issues which have resulted in 30 plus units of blood. His oncologist suggested in-house chemotherapy, which he had 3 individual times. His m-spike got down to 0.1 and we decided to try for stem cell again. Since they didn't get enough for 2 the first time he had to try again. Long story short-yesterday we found out due to all the chemotherapy his bone marrow is not making enough stem cells. So we go home disappointed I n tears and hope is slowly circling the drain. We have been told there are other treatments and we have an appointment with his oncologist soon. Please, if you are going through stem cell, make sure they get enough for at least 2. Maybe if we had insisted they keep trying to get enough for 2 he wouldn't be in this fix.

Comment from: love u dad, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My dad is 56 with multiple myeloma (MM) stage 2. He had his first stem cell 9 months after we found out. We were told it should last about 10 years only lasted 1.5 years. He had a second stem cell done about a year after, he keeps breaking and fracturing bones and now they have given him a painful year to live. I have read a lot of positive things on this site however this cancer is terrible, with a nasty ending.

Comment from: Tricia, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My 90 year old dad has multiple myeloma. He has had 2 kyphoplasty surgeries for broken leg. Rehab helped with all this, plus home health. He is now what I call in remission. He can go to doctor visits and walk on his walker. He has had myeloma over 5 years. My Dad's attitude has helped him. He loves life and is very happy, telling jokes and loving the great grandkids! Has very little pain now. He is not doing any treatments. He does have Procrit shots as needed.

Comment from: KvMum, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: August 31

My mum was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2011 December and had her autologous stem cell transplant done in January 2012. The results have been good since then. The doctor has reduced her medicine dosage too, but since last one month she is having nagging pain in her leg and she is having difficulty in walking.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

My doctor thinks I have multiple myeloma (MM). My blood work and urine are normal but x-rays showed lucency in my hip and pelvic bones which apparently points to MM. I have an MRI scheduled next week. I have pain in shoulder, back, hip and thigh. I lost a bit of weight, not a massive amount, and feel very fatigued. And I have severe headaches that last for days.

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?