Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My father is 75 and started feeling backaches. He consulted with an orthopedic doctor who started giving him pain killers, but the pain kept increasing. Another orthopedic doctor was consulted, but no treatment was given. The pain continued to increase for three months. A new doctor advised to go for some tests and a bone scan, which immediately diagnosed multiple myeloma. Accordingly treatment was started and now it is totally under control. I advise that when pain in your body persists for more than two weeks to get it investigated.

Comment from: Sandi2009, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was a Caucasian 42 year old female when diagnosed with multiple myeloma. I have had 2 stem cell transplants I have been in remission for 13 years chemo and stem cell saved my life I am in Stage 3 kidney disease which does not seem to be progressing. I do exercise in the water 2 days weekly I do have osteoarthritis in much of my body. I have had 9 broken bones from hips, to ribs to arms, I also have flagrant fibromyalgia, I was diagnosed with stage 3 in 1998 but I'm still here recently my oncologist has stopped all preventive treatment for MM and feels that I have a good chance at even a longer remission there are survivors out here I wish I had known that 13 years ago when I was looking for hope.

Comment from: angelbaby120, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 18

Disease was found Feb. 12, 2010, with Multiple Myeloma of the spin. He was on maintenance medication called Thalomid but now cannot tolerate the medication given. Pain is over a 10 in both legs. He was taking 200 mg of Thalomid then it was changed to 100 mg. His doctor has taken him off the thalomid to see if the pain in his legs goes away.

Comment from: outlaw--43, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I was diagnosed in Sept, 2010 and have been going thru with a regimen of doxil infusions, revlimid for 28 days a month and dexamethasone. I now have to decide on having bone marrow transplant.

Comment from: jack, 55-64 Male Published: February 27

I am on the edge between smothered myeloma and multiple myeloma. The doctor wants to monitor blood tests and X-rays every three months without any drug treatment yet.

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?