Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: SHALL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

My multiple myeloma (MM) started with a compressed vertebra. I bent down to pick up dirty laundry. It was painful but bearable. Within a week I had extreme pain and was admitted to the hospital for a Band-Aid fix. Blood tests taken prior to the surgery showed extremely high levels of calcium. By the time I would have been coming out of anesthesia from the Band-Aid surgery I was in full blown hallucinations from the high calcium level. While in that state for a week in hospital, the doctors couldn't tell me about the MM. As I got better they were able to tell me about the MM. I have been in treatment for a little over a year. No date of getting off treatment as of now but the doctor says things are looking good (whatever that means).

Comment from: Lydia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I fractured a vertebra while jogging in 2013. I thought I pulled a muscle, so it took months to find out it was a fracture. In November 2015, I fractured two more vertebrae by sneezing. I had kyphoplasty done on those vertebrae, but soon after, I fractured several more vertebrae. I lost 5 inches in height. The orthopedic doctor sent me to an oncologist who specializes in treating bones (thinking I only had severe osteoporosis, but I was only 57). She noted that lesions were mentioned on one of my reports. She performed a blood test and bone marrow biopsy and determined that I was in stage III multiple myeloma.

Comment from: Leo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I had undergone an operation to remove my appendix and was showing signs of anemia. My hemoglobin was very low and I had two transfusions done to correct it. I was still feeling fatigued and had pain in my left thigh. An MRI was done and showed an infiltration into my pelvis. After two bone marrow biopsies I was told I had multiple myeloma and was put on a regimen of dexamethasone, Revlimid and Velcade. I am scheduled for a stem cell transplant at the end of this month. I have had previous cancers, Merkel cell in 2003, oral in 2008 and skin in 2013, I do not want anymore, I am going to beat this one also and then retire. Peace.

Comment from: Blessed59, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 13

My mother started to feel pain in her ribs in early 2015, a garage door fell on her. All the time we thought it was related to that. Later she started to have pain in her pelvis around 06, 2015. She lives in Venezuela. There is a civil crisis going on. Later, from October 2015 she stayed in bed until December 7 when I arrived and took her to the hospital. Diagnosis was pancreas cancer, then the MRI didn't show anything. At least 6 MRIs were done. Nothing wrong. She got dengue fever in February 2016. In addition she has hypertension, and pulmonary disease (from years of smoking). Later in March 2016 she went back to the hospital for pneumonia. Hematologists, rheumatologists, and all kind of lab tests. Nothing was showing. She had lost 50 pounds, was very weak, had pain in her bones, was retaining fluids, and stopped walking around April 2016. Back to the hospital in May 2016 when she had a high fever. I finally found a traumatologist and then he did surgery. Biopsy sample was taken. Result on 06/2016, multiple myeloma. Now I am in the process of bringing her to the US.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have had diabetes type II since I was 40, and every time there was a medical problem it was blamed on my diabetes. I worked in medical offices for many years. It started with having no energy. I would have to stop many times just to rest before clocking in. My heart had irregular heartbeats. I had neuropathy in my feet and hands. They said it is my diabetes. I had gynecologic cancer ten years earlier and had radiation and I thought I was home free. Then one day there was a lump on the middle of my forehead, it was the size of a small egg. I asked nurses, doctors, and nurse practitioners. I kept getting infections. 'It's the diabetes,' or 'did you bump your head?' That's what they kept asking. I kept telling them no. I knew something was wrong. It was a first year resident that did the right tests, and listened to my symptoms instead of saying it is diabetes. I have stage III multiple myeloma and I am thankful this doctor came my way. The other doctors gave him a hard time, but he didn't give up.

Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?