Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Published: July 02

After a bad fall, I continually felt weaker and had lower back and leg pain. I hurt so bad at the time, I felt I was doomed to suffer the rest of my life. Doctors simply told me to go home and get some rest, take pain pills and literally call them in the morning. Continued breaking ribs and back pain were no clue to them. Later that year I could no longer walk and suffered with continual back spasms. The ER found Stage III Multiple Myeloma after 1 day of tests.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I"ve been treated for multiple myeloma for 4 years. I found out I had MM because of needing transfusions on numerous occasions. So far the medications seem to be working.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

In 2002 I broke a rib, it wouldn't heal. After about 2 years the rib was removed and biopsy done. MM (multiple myeloma) was found. It's always better to get a second opinion and get treatment as soon as possible. After 8 years with my first doctor, my numbers kept going up. I changed oncologist and my blood is normal after 13 months. Kyprolis and dexamethason twice a week 3 times a month. I'm doing well now.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

MY MOTHER IS AGE 65/ IN RENAL FAILURE /LIFE EXSPECTANCE 1-3 MONTHS DEAD BY 4MONTHS/ THANK GOD WE ARE AT 6-MONTHS WEIGHT 221 NOW 171 SOME CONFUSSION BED RIDDEN SINCE 6-1-08 IN STAGE 3 THE WHOLE TIME/LIFE LONG SMOKER/ONLY ON DYALISIS AND A DEX-STERIOD.PHONE DR ERIC BATTS OR DR KATHERYN ALGUIRE IN MUSKEGON MICHIGAN AT THE JOHNSON CANCER CENTER IF YOU CAN HELP OR ANY NEW DRUG TREATMENTS THAT CAN EXTEND LIFE/CURE MY MOM. THANK YOU.231-737-3469

Published: July 10

My father was being treated for a chest infection for six weeks but antibiotics brought no improvement. His mobility was more impaired by pain in the torso and eventually, after dramatic immobility an A & E visit showed kidney failure subsequently confirmed as a result due to Multiple Myeloma. My Dad is a 76 year old gardener who spent a lot of time with pesticides and petrol lawn mowers. His deterioration was very fast and he worked as long as possible. His rib cage and shoulder blades continue to be most affected and his lungs, although healthy, are his greatest cause of discomfort.

Published: July 09

I had anemia of unknown source. My multiple myeloma manifested itself through my kidneys. I had bone marrow biopsy and kidney biopsy to confirm. It took almost 6 months to diagnose.

Published: June 25

My mother thought she was "coming down" with something. She could not pin point how she felt different, other than feeling very tired. She was restless, but did not mention bone pain. She often was cold. After trying to "beat the bug" at home for a week we took her to the hospital to get to the bottom of her weakness. Several tests were done and the bone marrow results gave us the diagnosis along with a 24 hour urine collection.

Published: June 19

My father had severe sweating in the night time. His joints swell plus redness. He is constant pain.

Published: June 18

My symptoms were bone pain and being very tired. I also had joint swelling and nausea/vomiting at times.

Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?