Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

MY MOTHER IS AGE 65/ IN RENAL FAILURE /LIFE EXSPECTANCE 1-3 MONTHS DEAD BY 4MONTHS/ THANK GOD WE ARE AT 6-MONTHS WEIGHT 221 NOW 171 SOME CONFUSSION BED RIDDEN SINCE 6-1-08 IN STAGE 3 THE WHOLE TIME/LIFE LONG SMOKER/ONLY ON DYALISIS AND A DEX-STERIOD.PHONE DR ERIC BATTS OR DR KATHERYN ALGUIRE IN MUSKEGON MICHIGAN AT THE JOHNSON CANCER CENTER IF YOU CAN HELP OR ANY NEW DRUG TREATMENTS THAT CAN EXTEND LIFE/CURE MY MOM. THANK YOU.231-737-3469

Published: July 10

My father was being treated for a chest infection for six weeks but antibiotics brought no improvement. His mobility was more impaired by pain in the torso and eventually, after dramatic immobility an A & E visit showed kidney failure subsequently confirmed as a result due to Multiple Myeloma. My Dad is a 76 year old gardener who spent a lot of time with pesticides and petrol lawn mowers. His deterioration was very fast and he worked as long as possible. His rib cage and shoulder blades continue to be most affected and his lungs, although healthy, are his greatest cause of discomfort.

Published: July 09

I had anemia of unknown source. My multiple myeloma manifested itself through my kidneys. I had bone marrow biopsy and kidney biopsy to confirm. It took almost 6 months to diagnose.

Published: June 25

My mother thought she was "coming down" with something. She could not pin point how she felt different, other than feeling very tired. She was restless, but did not mention bone pain. She often was cold. After trying to "beat the bug" at home for a week we took her to the hospital to get to the bottom of her weakness. Several tests were done and the bone marrow results gave us the diagnosis along with a 24 hour urine collection.

Published: June 19

My father had severe sweating in the night time. His joints swell plus redness. He is constant pain.

Published: June 18

My symptoms were bone pain and being very tired. I also had joint swelling and nausea/vomiting at times.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had pain in my ribs which was initially misdiagnosed. Then, I became unable to walk straight because a mass was compressing my spinal cord. A few days of radiation took care of the mass and I had a stem cell transplant (2000).

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My mother had multiple myeloma. She had bone growth on collar bone and hip. The collar bone she noticed and Dr. did many tests assuming it was arthritis in the end. The doctor failed to do another test that could have added years to my mother's life (she was 83 when she passed). If you have any kind of bone growth, insist on a simple blood test that could suggest multiple myeloma. By the time they caught my Mom's it had damaged her kidneys.

Comment from: ibeatmm!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I experienced severe fatigue, unsteadiness on my feet and shortness of breath. I had gained weight and was aging, so I ignored the symptoms. I fell ill with sepsis & pneumonia and nearly died. I was then diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. My symptoms were common signs of extreme anemia. I was 5 pints low on blood. Treatment with Velcade gave me very low cancer count and a year free from treatment. Numbers are rising slightly right now and I will begin Revimid soon to keep the disease at low level. I did not have Stem Cell Transplant and hope to never have one.

Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?