Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: JD's caretaker, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My husband is a runner and runs every day! I watched as he kept scratching his upper inside thigh. I took a look and there was a 1" x 2" welt. I took him to a vascular surgeon I work with. She did an ultrasound scan. The vein was one big clot from groin to ankle! He had blood tests done every year for years. The results were sent to the primary care physician but it was never caught. It took four months to diagnose with bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. The diagnosis was that he had high risk, Stage III multiple myeloma.

Comment from: heartbroken in London, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My father was diagnosed with multiple myeloma last October 2007. He had a very loose stool for a couple of days; later on he went to an urgent care facility. They told him it was a virus and to go home and take Imodium A-D. That was Saturday. Monday, he went to his primary care doctor. He checked him and said, “I think you have a virus too. But I want to do some blood tests before you go.” After receiving the blood tests, the doctor then sent him for X-rays. In just a couple of hours he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma, and now the fun begins!

Comment from: Roger, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My multiple myeloma was spotted very early through a blood test. The first real symptoms were excessive tiredness, noticeable tachycardia, and hyperventilation.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I found out that I had multiple myeloma (MM) when I was 39 years old. I was always tried and just could not get enough energy to do much of anything. When I fell and could not walk for more than a month is when my family found out something was wrong. During this time, I almost lost my life because my kidney was shutting down, and I still could not walk. My husband then took me to another hospital where they found out that I had MM. We have been dealing with this for seven years, and we just found out that I am out of remission. I have to find a new treatment to go with now after already going through one bone marrow transplant, 17 treatments of radiation, a blood transfusion, and chemo. Now we have to go through this all over again.

Comment from: greenlady1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For about a year and a half I had been very tired, and I kept getting sick and it took so long to get well that I would be sick all over again I also started throwing up which is something I never do I was working 7 days a week but had to drop down to 5 days and almost couldn't do the 5 days, I have always been a hard worker when I had a job, my boss got real mean with me and started loading me down with impossible work loads, which I did but not easily, I was barely able put one foot in front of the other. I never went to the doctor. I kept thinking I would get better until I went to work at 5:30 am and by 9:00 I had to call my boss I was so sick, I went home and lay down for 2-3 hours and when I awoke my neck was so swollen I didn't look human and I couldn't breathe my daughter took me to the hospital my kidneys were shutting down along with a long list of other things that is how I found out that I have this cancer.

Published: July 02

After a bad fall, I continually felt weaker and had lower back and leg pain. I hurt so bad at the time, I felt I was doomed to suffer the rest of my life. Doctors simply told me to go home and get some rest, take pain pills and literally call them in the morning. Continued breaking ribs and back pain were no clue to them. Later that year I could no longer walk and suffered with continual back spasms. The ER found Stage III Multiple Myeloma after 1 day of tests.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

In 2002 I broke a rib, it wouldn't heal. After about 2 years the rib was removed and biopsy done. MM (multiple myeloma) was found. It's always better to get a second opinion and get treatment as soon as possible. After 8 years with my first doctor, my numbers kept going up. I changed oncologist and my blood is normal after 13 months. Kyprolis and dexamethason twice a week 3 times a month. I'm doing well now.

Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?