Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?

Comment from: DEENA, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My father has diagnosed with multiple myeloma in July 2013, and undergone treatment. Stem cell transplantation has been carried out in May 2014. Now he is in full remission stage.

Comment from: Yogesh, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

Well, since October 2016 we were going through doctors to address the pain in stomach and weight loss, and finally found that our father had multiple myeloma. We are getting ready to fight thinking how to tell this to my dad, he is very sensitive person. I don't want to lose him.

Comment from: wife of, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 17

My husband was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in the fall of 2014. He began chemotherapy treatments and had a stem cell transplant in July 2015. He is in a remission now, but still has so much pain. The doctors say that his pain should not be bad now, since he is in remission. I am not sure how to help him. The doctors just seem to say the same thing over and over. Maybe something else going on. The oncologist refers to rheumatologist, rheumatologist refers to neurologist, neurologist refers back to oncologist, so on, and so on.

Comment from: Rough Ride, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I had severe lower back strains three separate times. I thought it was due to my workouts and getting older. A few months later I was feeling very badly and soon after was hit with the most extreme pain I've ever felt. At first I thought it was a kidney stone but the next day pain moved from my side to center back area. The pain was so intense my family had to slowly lift me off of bed. After a couple weeks, I finally went to doctor. (Don't be stubborn like me!) X-rays were negative. Two more weeks of misery and doctor scheduled an MRI and that's when they found multiple myeloma (MM) stage III cancer. Fractured vertebra, fractured a total of four, and lost two inches in height so far. I had radiation for nine weeks to remove multiple tumors in my back. An extremely long and painful journey I believe very few would be able to withstand. I have now gone through stem cell transplant and now on maintenance Velcade chemotherapy. I'm lucky to be alive but I will be disabled for the rest of my life from a much damaged spine. Family and good doctors (Veterans Affairs doctors) got me through it. Note, a blood test from treatments for pre-diabetes about six months prior, did show an elevated protein level. (A sign of this type of cancer.) MM is not an easy cancer to spot and if caught late like in my case, a very nasty cancer it is!

Comment from: Rough Ride, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Comment from: Emily, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

Summer 2010, my symptoms of multiple myeloma were, 'electric charges' shooting down both legs when reclining and weird lower back pain upon sitting. Most of the summer, I could not sit down. I worked full/overtime, doing everything standing up. I did not feel fatigued. All of my blood work was normal. I did not have a urine test, however. I visited my physician's assistant several times and got medications for back pain and muscle relaxers. She finally did do an MRI of lower back in October, which was misread as normal by the radiologist. Being a healthy person, I insisted on seeing a back specialist, took my MRI with me and he insisted I have MRI of full spine (because he felt the MRI was suspicious), which revealed a tumor had totally eroded my T-9 (upper back) vertebra and was pressing on my spinal cord, causing all of my symptoms. Honestly, I thought I was going nuts. Later on, total body x-rays revealed every bone in my body was 'moth-eaten' by tumors. It is now summer 2014. I've had radiation 26 times, chemotherapy (Velcade, dexamethasone, Revlimid), for three months, stem cell transplant in 2011 (with melphalan), and treatment with Zometa to rebuild bones (and they look good now). I am currently on maintenance Revlimid and doing well.

Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?