Patient Comments: Multiple Myeloma - Diagnosis

Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of multiple myeloma.

Comment from: Hansd, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 06

My doctor suspects multiple myeloma from blood tests done recently. For 4 days I had been tired when walking and then I fainted in the bathroom, was taken to emergency and received 3 bags of blood. This brought the hemoglobin level up from 55 to 91. Further tests are now being done (blood, urine and skeletal X-ray to determine what the further treatment should be. I am 90 years old and consider myself healthy (never had any major disease). For 30 years I have worked out at a fitness center and walk 2 times for 20 minutes each day. I am interested in knowing what further to expect.

Comment from: shnkle54, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

An ER doctor did X-rays because I fell. I was in lots of pain and having problems breathing. The doctor on duty just happened to be an oncologist. He looked at the X-rays and had more blood tests done. He recommended that I make an appointment to see him in his office. I had a biopsy, which did confirm the multiple myeloma.

Multiple Myeloma - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you, a friend, or loved one received for multiple myeloma?
Multiple Myeloma - Follow-up care Question: What type of follow-up care do you or a relative receive for multiple myeloma?