Patient Comments: Mucormycosis - Treatment

Describe the treatment and medications received for mucormycosis.

Comment from: lucyjune, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Surgery was done to remove my right eye. I was on Amphotericin B and Posaconazole. They took me off the Amphotericin because it was affecting my kidneys, which I was told was normal; which is also why many patients do not survive. Posaconazole had been approved six months before I was diagnosed but there were not a lot of studies because most patients don't survive. But I responded well to it, and was on it for one year to insure I was fungus free. That was 7 years ago.

Comment from: sad, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My wife is currently being treated; she is a 39 year old mother of 2 and had uncontrolled diabetes and got this infection. She is being given amphotericin B antibiotic through IV and Noxafil liquid. The doctors are prolonging her life a little but she was just told she is going to die from this.

Mucormycosis - Risk Factors Question: If known, what were the risk factors for mucormycosis in you or someone you know?
Mucormycosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms you experienced with mucormycosis.