Patient Comments: Mucormycosis - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms you experienced with mucormycosis.

Comment from: lucyjune, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a sinus infection, but had severe pain that pain medication was not relieving. By the end of the week I had numbness in the right side of my face and my face was swollen. On that Sunday I could not open my eye and went to the emergency room. The doctor still thought it was a sinus infection and sent me home. I went back 5 hours later, dizzy and vomiting. I was admitted and they did a biopsy of my sinus. Cultures were done and the doctor had never actually seen the disease but had read about it. They transferred me to Los Angeles and another biopsy was done that confirmed the disease. Surgery was performed and my right eye was removed.

Mucormycosis - Risk Factors Question: If known, what were the risk factors for mucormycosis in you or someone you know?
Mucormycosis - Treatment Question: Describe the treatment and medications received for mucormycosis.