- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Pictures Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Mucormycosis - Risk Factors
- Patient Comments: Mucormycosis - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Mucormycosis - Treatment
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Mucormycosis (zygomycosis) facts
- What is mucormycosis?
- What causes mucormycosis?
- What are risk factors for mucormycosis?
- What are symptoms and signs of mucormycosis?
- How is mucormycosis diagnosed?
- What is the treatment of mucormycosis?
- What are complications of mucormycosis?
- What is the prognosis of mucormycosis?
- Can mucormycosis be prevented?
- What research is being done on mucormycosis?
- Where can people find more information on mucormycosis?
What research is being done on mucormycosis?
Unfortunately, very little research is being done on this disease. Most studies available discuss the two major factors. First is the data showing the increasing incidence noted in patients with debilitating diseases, currently with a focus on those who are immunocompromised by diseases or by medical treatment. Second are studies comparing treatment plans of surgery combined with antifungal medication. Currently, surgery and amphotericin B still seem to be the treatments that give the best results. As the incidence and recognition of zygomycosis (mucormycosis) increases, more research may be done.
Where can people find more information on mucormycosis?
Readers who are not familiar with fungal infections are advised to read any short summary or overviews about the classification, growth, and diseases caused by fungi.
Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease
Sun, Y., and N. Singh. "Mucormycosis: Its Contemporary Face and Management." Lancet Infect. Dis. 11.4 (2011): 301-311.