Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: HOG, riding girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was admitted to the hospital ICU for severe swelling of the face and throat, of unknown origin. Long story short, I had to have surgery, and during surgery I got MRSA. I was discharged with MRSA. About 4 weeks later I noticed 2 scabbed lumps at the incision sites. I scraped the one I could reach. Pus flowed from the lump, and as the day and night went on the pain was so severe I couldn't sleep and sat in my bed rocking back and forward. My Dad took me back to the emergency room at 6:00 am. I was put back in the ICU for 10 days and started on IV vancomycin twice a day. Between the 2 stays in the hospital I was there 25 days. I was discharged on IV for 2 more weeks. All in all, total nightmare.

Comment from: SeaDog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been diagnosed with MRSA and have had 4 surgeries to open, drain and flush the openings. My MRSA colonized in my pubic area and I was told it was only a result of the many hernia surgeries I have had. I am a urostomate (where I got the MRSA in 2003) and have herniated around the ostomy site as well as along my abdominal scar lines. I am diabetic, and have 5 discs in my back that are degenerative. I cannot now have surgery or any injections in my back to relieve the pain. MRSA will be the cause of my death, my doctors all tell me I am in the best health I will ever be. Depression rules my life. I live on antibiotics which have destroyed my bladder and caused the urostomy, overtreatment by antibiotics.

Comment from: Hodema, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I somehow contracted MRSA about 8 or 9 years ago. I'm not exactly sure how because it could have been from using the bathroom after an extended family member with a leaking boil used it (I didn't know though). I ended up getting a boil on my right butt cheek which grew to about the size of a quarter within three days and was very, very painful. So I ended up going to the emergency room since it was the weekend and they asked me questions pertaining to a possible spider bite. Then they told me it was a boil and lanced it. I followed up with my doctor and he prescribed me Bactrim. Then after a few months and a lot of boils later he told me he found out it was MRSA. At that time he prescribed me Cefzil and cefuroxime one after the other. I can say it helped, but didn't stop me from getting boils. Since then I have moved and have found out I have other diseases so I've kind of put it on the back burner until now. Now my job is on the line because I work in a cheese factory. I always have at least one boil at all times, mostly on my face and jaw because I am already prone to acne and also on my shoulders and back and occasionally on my butt, arms and vagina. I am tired of suffering from this and my other diseases and I wish more people, especially doctors, knew more about it. I really don't know what it has done to the inside of my body all these years of no treatment, but I also have endometriosis so I may never know because my insides don't look very good now anyway.

Comment from: christinal4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had problems with strep throat and plantar wart in my feet as a kid. In my late 30s I had a bite on my stomach, which ended up getting so bad the doctor drained it and gave antibiotics. I thought nothing of it. Now at 43 I had a small bump in my armpit. I thought nothing of it until a month later. By the way I was not shaving on that area due to the bump. Anyway, the thing got bigger and bigger, and next thing I knew my entire arm was swollen. I ended up in hospital. That is when the first out of three doctors told me I had MRSA. I was in isolation and confused. Now, a month later, I still have severe pain in my elbow. My armpit has pain, more like a burn sensation. I don't use my typical Dial soap anymore, I use Hibiclens and baby shampoo. It is frustrating. It is painful and hard to explain to people.

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?