Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: SeaDog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been diagnosed with MRSA and have had 4 surgeries to open, drain and flush the openings. My MRSA colonized in my pubic area and I was told it was only a result of the many hernia surgeries I have had. I am a urostomate (where I got the MRSA in 2003) and have herniated around the ostomy site as well as along my abdominal scar lines. I am diabetic, and have 5 discs in my back that are degenerative. I cannot now have surgery or any injections in my back to relieve the pain. MRSA will be the cause of my death, my doctors all tell me I am in the best health I will ever be. Depression rules my life. I live on antibiotics which have destroyed my bladder and caused the urostomy, overtreatment by antibiotics.

Comment from: Hodema, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I somehow contracted MRSA about 8 or 9 years ago. I'm not exactly sure how because it could have been from using the bathroom after an extended family member with a leaking boil used it (I didn't know though). I ended up getting a boil on my right butt cheek which grew to about the size of a quarter within three days and was very, very painful. So I ended up going to the emergency room since it was the weekend and they asked me questions pertaining to a possible spider bite. Then they told me it was a boil and lanced it. I followed up with my doctor and he prescribed me Bactrim. Then after a few months and a lot of boils later he told me he found out it was MRSA. At that time he prescribed me Cefzil and cefuroxime one after the other. I can say it helped, but didn't stop me from getting boils. Since then I have moved and have found out I have other diseases so I've kind of put it on the back burner until now. Now my job is on the line because I work in a cheese factory. I always have at least one boil at all times, mostly on my face and jaw because I am already prone to acne and also on my shoulders and back and occasionally on my butt, arms and vagina. I am tired of suffering from this and my other diseases and I wish more people, especially doctors, knew more about it. I really don't know what it has done to the inside of my body all these years of no treatment, but I also have endometriosis so I may never know because my insides don't look very good now anyway.

Comment from: christinal4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had problems with strep throat and plantar wart in my feet as a kid. In my late 30s I had a bite on my stomach, which ended up getting so bad the doctor drained it and gave antibiotics. I thought nothing of it. Now at 43 I had a small bump in my armpit. I thought nothing of it until a month later. By the way I was not shaving on that area due to the bump. Anyway, the thing got bigger and bigger, and next thing I knew my entire arm was swollen. I ended up in hospital. That is when the first out of three doctors told me I had MRSA. I was in isolation and confused. Now, a month later, I still have severe pain in my elbow. My armpit has pain, more like a burn sensation. I don't use my typical Dial soap anymore, I use Hibiclens and baby shampoo. It is frustrating. It is painful and hard to explain to people.

Comment from: annonymous, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I haven't yet been diagnosed but the pictures I have seen of MRSA is exactly what I have under my arm pit. My gynecologist told me I had another skin disorder, can't get the name. It keeps getting worse. A friend asked me if I had been tested for MRSA and I haven't. I will now. I see the doctor on Wednesday and I will request that test. I am in so much pain. I have spent a great amount of time in the hospital sitting with my husband. He had a lot of trouble with his heart and I was there with him a lot. It has gotten worse within the past 5 years which is around the time I met him.

Comment from: newtoMRSA, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

I contracted MRSA by touching the skin of another person who is colonized with MRSA or by touching a contaminated surface from the emergency room that I went in to visit a family member. I had a scratch on my left leg and that is where the MRSA infection went into. Mine became a carbuncle very quickly, within 3 days. I went to the Health Department and was tested for MRSA with a culture. I had CA-MRSA. I was given the antibiotic, clindamycin to be taken twice daily for 14 days. Also I was prescribed clindamycin gel to put on the boil. I was prescribed Mupirocin to put in my nose and washed with Hibiclens. I also used Lysol in my home and bleach where I could. I also took and am still taking bleach baths. I used the alcohol pads inside my bandage daily changing the bandage 2 times per day and that helped the most! I used 90% alcohol on my boil after it drained on its own by spraying it on and around the area of the boil as the nurse at the Health Department did not want to drain mine from fear it would go septic. It has been a month and it is almost healed. It is scabbed over with a color of red and no swelling or hardness under the area. Alcohol was the key to getting mine under control as the antibiotics did not seem to help mine. Bleach baths seem to have kept anymore from showing up on my body as well as taking proper care of the boil until all the infection came out. I spray alcohol on any cut, scrape, ant bite, or bruise that I get on my body, and I haven't gotten any more MRSA outbreaks so far. Note: I still have not shaved my legs or underarms yet and will not for a few more months. I eat raw garlic also. I try to avoid sugar and white flour, bread and do not drink sodas. I drink a lot of water. I get a lot of rest at night and take a nap when I can in the daytime. I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone as it was very painful. I had chills and a small fever the first 2 weeks.

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?