Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Published: June 20

I'm a college student, and I contracted MRSA at the middle of my first semester freshman year. I had what I thought was a pimple on the back of my thigh, right where my rear comes in contact with my bike seat. It got a little nasty, but it drained a few days later. I had several small abscesses through the course of the year; I just assumed everyone got them once in a while. A month before my spring semester exams, I found another abscess in roughly the same spot where my very first sore appeared. I figured if I left it alone, kept it clean and kept it dry, it would take care of itself. Not so much, I found -- a few weeks later it had swelled to the size of my fist. The pressure was so intense I had to sit cross-legged leaning over so I could minimize the pain. I couldn't walk without limping. Right before my exams, I began feeling so nauseated that I couldn't get off the floor. I laid in our bathroom and alternated sobbing and vomiting for an entire Saturday. My poor roommate had to watch me crawl around the room and cry because walking was now impossible being that it was extremely painful. I went home to my parents so I could have some privacy and soak my leg in the bathtub and apply hot rags. Three days of rest, no activity whatsoever -- that's the only thing that got that terrible thing to drain. It's debilitating. I have had two more mild ones since the huge one, all on the back of my legs right below my rear. I'm waiting on the results of a nasal swab that is supposed to determine if I'm a carrier. I don't know what I'm going to do if I have to deal with these terrible nasty things for the rest of my life.

Published: June 19

I have been diagnosed with MRSA and I have a friend that will not come near me. My two sons, niece and son and other family members do not seem to be afraid. Initially, I was afraid of the diagnosis - still am. I try to take plenty of precautions but it hurts that my best friend is just letting me to deal with this alone. She works at a school and has a new grandson - which she states are her main concerns, but the main concern is that I am not healthy.

Published: June 18

I was hospitalized at the end of January with double pneumonia. Early February, I had a small 'pimple' on my right eye brow. It hurt like hell, kind of an intense throbbing feeling. Almost overnight, my face swelled to the point where my right eye was half shut. I went to the doctor and the wound was cultured. Turned out to be MRSA. I was put on Septra and after about a week, with hot compresses etc it seemed to clear. Since then, I have had 7 other bouts of MRSA (face, feet, neck, and most recently the back of my head. It is a very painful condition that I'm afraid will continue to re-emerge.

Published: June 18

My grandson came down with MRSA and had to have it drained and about 1 month later the MRSA came back same leg/area, we got him on medication and it went away but he has been getting the rest of use [people] we are all getting MRSA. We have cleaned the house, washed everything with bleach, but no help it spreads like fire, how can we get it gone? Doctors here in Ohio don't know much about this MRSA, it took us 2 months to know what my grandson came down with, doctor told us not to worry it was only a abscess, it is something to worry about this can kill doctors don't tell you that, we found info on this site thank you I opened my doctors eye, we knew something was wrong.

Published: June 12

Sleeping 20 hours a day. No energy. Swelling & knots at the sight of infection in arm. Diarrhea now. MISERABLE. Can't work

Published: June 11

Two years ago I contracted CA-MRSA. I was only 14. The infection was in the soft tissue of my left shoulder. The doctors didn't catch it for three days. By the time someone decided to do an exploratory surgery, I had a fever of 104.3 and had lost 20 lbs. I almost lost my arm because I was sent home three times from the ER. I was on antibiotics for six weeks after I got out from my month-long hospital stay. This completely ruined my swimming career now that my left arm is too weak. I really want doctors to start cracking down on this diagnosis.

Published: June 11

I have been dealing with boils for many years. I was told to just go in and have them lanced and everything will be fine. I was told by a doctor that I need to have a complete Hysterectomy and that will help with the boils. I had the surgery done and about 2 months after I got a boil again. Well I was going to a doctor that was lancing them but I got tired of going in every two weeks to have that done plus the last time he didn't numb me enough and started to cut and I told him and he continue to cut. So for the past three years I have been treating them with triple antibiotic ointment and gauze. They will usually break and release the pus out within 24-48 hours. Well I have no insurance so I went to the area clinic two days ago to have my feet looked at because I have diabetes. Well she saw my bandage on my leg and asked to look at it. I showed it to her and she is the one that told me that I have MRSA. I was like what? She explained to me what it was and put me on Cipro 500 mg for a month. She told me to continue what I am doing for it plus make sure I wash my hands all the time and wipe things down in the bathroom. I do that anyway when one of these flare up.

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?