Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Published: November 07

I developed MRSA after I scratched what I thought was a pimple on my right buttock. Two days later, I got this huge lump at the area where the pimple was. The following day, I went to our Immediate Medical Center and was started on Bactrim. I was told to hot-pack the lesion. After I hot-packed the lesion, the infection spread like wild fire. The following day, I was unable to walk because my entire buttock was purple, full of pus, and extremely painful. My primary care doctor sent me right to the hospital where my surgeon performed emergency surgery on me. I now have an 8-inch surgical incision that has been laid open so it can heal from the inside out. The wound is now about 3/4 inch deep and 2 inches wide since it has healed somewhat thanks to the "Wound Pump" I will be wearing for at least another three weeks. I was hospitalized and given massive doses of antibiotics and will be on antibiotics for another three to four weeks, or more if necessary. My surgeon told me that he had seen many cases of this sort, but none that compared to the amount of necrotic tissue and pus he had to remove from me.

Published: June 24

I woke one morning with an itchy area along my jaw line. Within four days it was large; it appeared to be a "pimple - gone BAD!" It was too sore to touch or try to pop. I saw the doctor on day 5. He numbed the area, opened and drained the sore and took a sample. Due to my sensitivity to sulfa-based drugs, he prescribed Ciprodex for 10 days. That, with the several follow up appointments, changed packing and dressing, has cleared up my MRSA infection. It is now day 18, and there is a slight hardness to the area, a very small scab and an indentation in my face. I'm so glad I intervened.

Comment from: SRM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have read about people having good success with MRSA using essential oil, internally (lemongrass and Thieves oil in gel capsules) as well as topically (lemongrass, tea tree oil, oregano, Thieves, and frankincense in rotation). I hope that helps!

Comment from: jc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I recently had a total hip replacement but came out of the procedure with MRSA infection of the right hip.

Comment from: Traci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

The first time going to the doctor I was diagnosed with impetigo and was on a wash and antibiotics and ointment. I was not getting better so went back to the doctor a week later and now he has me on clindamycin topical solution to clear the MRSA up.

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have Lupus and scheduled to have a full hip replacement. In the pre-operation blood test, MRSA showed positive.

Comment from: Asl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I know I have mrsa, large pus filled boils on legs and back. I am very sick and doctor doesn't know anything about mrsa. I had to make her wear gloves to examine me. I feel I may be dying, have been trying to get help for a month.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I lived with MRSA for a decade. the symptoms began as skin lesions that later escalated into ongoing pneumonia.I went un diagnosed for many years this destroyed. my immune system the MRSA traveled from skin to lungs affecting. the heart and kidneys and ending up in my brain this damaged the left side and also destroyed. my hearing. ICU saved me after ten years of agonizing misdiagnosis I'm glad not to be part of the staph death toll.

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?