Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: Tarhe54, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I had a sore in my nose and used Polysporin on it, which seemed to cure my problem. At the recent doctor visit, he wanted to test it and it came back as MRSA. The doctor prescribed SMZ-TMP DS 800/160, a sulfur drug and rifampin capsules 300mg, which I am taking two per day for 14 days. The rifampin causes dizziness and almost unbearable bad stomach pain.

Comment from: Butterfly Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have been quite sick since August, 2012. In December 2012 I was hospitalized for surgery. Within days, of being back home, recuperating from surgery, I saw two red raised sores on my abdomen; then on my right upper arm, then the sores spread to my other arm, and both legs, which I was told was cellulitis, on my legs, It took weeks to heal the legs, but now, almost one year later I have MRSA like sores all over both arms and my abdomen again; I was swabbed on one area a few months ago and it came back I had a staph infection, I was put on antibiotics and antibiotic cream and the sores went away, but only for a short while. Now the sores are all over both arms! I am very concerned as I have the chills frequently and low grade temperature and generally do not feel well!

Published: November 07

I developed MRSA after I scratched what I thought was a pimple on my right buttock. Two days later, I got this huge lump at the area where the pimple was. The following day, I went to our Immediate Medical Center and was started on Bactrim. I was told to hot-pack the lesion. After I hot-packed the lesion, the infection spread like wild fire. The following day, I was unable to walk because my entire buttock was purple, full of pus, and extremely painful. My primary care doctor sent me right to the hospital where my surgeon performed emergency surgery on me. I now have an 8-inch surgical incision that has been laid open so it can heal from the inside out. The wound is now about 3/4 inch deep and 2 inches wide since it has healed somewhat thanks to the "Wound Pump" I will be wearing for at least another three weeks. I was hospitalized and given massive doses of antibiotics and will be on antibiotics for another three to four weeks, or more if necessary. My surgeon told me that he had seen many cases of this sort, but none that compared to the amount of necrotic tissue and pus he had to remove from me.

Published: June 24

I woke one morning with an itchy area along my jaw line. Within four days it was large; it appeared to be a "pimple - gone BAD!" It was too sore to touch or try to pop. I saw the doctor on day 5. He numbed the area, opened and drained the sore and took a sample. Due to my sensitivity to sulfa-based drugs, he prescribed Ciprodex for 10 days. That, with the several follow up appointments, changed packing and dressing, has cleared up my MRSA infection. It is now day 18, and there is a slight hardness to the area, a very small scab and an indentation in my face. I'm so glad I intervened.

Comment from: Asl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I know I have mrsa, large pus filled boils on legs and back. I am very sick and doctor doesn't know anything about mrsa. I had to make her wear gloves to examine me. I feel I may be dying, have been trying to get help for a month.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I lived with MRSA for a decade. the symptoms began as skin lesions that later escalated into ongoing pneumonia.I went un diagnosed for many years this destroyed. my immune system the MRSA traveled from skin to lungs affecting. the heart and kidneys and ending up in my brain this damaged the left side and also destroyed. my hearing. ICU saved me after ten years of agonizing misdiagnosis I'm glad not to be part of the staph death toll.

Comment from: ,o,skid, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My mom was diagnosed with MRSA when she was hospitalized for a radical double mastectomy. The diagnosed it by taking swabs of her nasal passages. After being put on the antibiotic, which she used religiously, she got a staph infection in the incisions from the surgery. She is a dialysis patient - has been for a little over 3 years. About 8 months ago, they had difficulty getting the fistula for the dialysis to work and they sent her to the hospital. She was admitted for a procedure to unclog the fistula, place a stent and place a couple of balloons up there as well. She was put into an isolation room with no telephone or bathroom. She was told it was because of her history of MRSA. Why not do the rapid test and see if she is carrying it? It was very demeaning for her to have to call and have a porta-potty brought in - to say nothing about the lack of privacy. And when she wanted to use a phone, we had to go out and find one from a nurse. Is it always going to be this way when she is admitted to a hospital now? She hates the isolation rooms because they are primitive!

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?