Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: skippy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I developed MRSA in October 2012 and have had 6 recurring infections since then. The most recent, in the past week, has been the worst on my right top thigh that had a red, swollen, hot area near the abscess that extended to the middle of the thigh to my hip. My doctor put me on 10 days of Bactrim twice daily and 10 days of cephalexin four times daily and it is clearing up nicely. He did, however, explain it may or will happen again, so I need to contact him as soon as something pops up that's sore or expands to any extent quickly, so he can treat it immediately. Thank goodness, because I was able to avoid the surgeon--this time.

Comment from: PrettySenshi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I started getting these cysts several years ago, and had one on my chin, which I was able to drain myself, luckily. My doctor wasn't able to determine if it was MRSA or not, but a couple years later, I got another one on my chest, which the doctor lanced, tested it, and it was confirmed positive for MRSA. Little did she know, there were actually two cysts on top of each other that I only discovered after I started streaking red. Ended up getting it busted and drained myself, but extremely painful. I have one on my forehead in between my eyes right now, and one on my cheek and it's extremely painful. My head is pounding and it's pressing on one of my eyes, but because of its location, the doctor can't lance it and test it to be 100% its MRSA, but due to my history, it's strongly believed to be. I am starting on two different antibiotics and I hope this takes care of it. MRSA does not play around. You can notice a bump one day, and the next, it's a size of a silver dollar. Definitely get it checked out if you think you may have it. Not only can I get MRSA, but I am also a carrier a swell.

Comment from: Boppy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had a scab on my knee. Fell on a gravel path at a dog park. Knee bled but I ignored it as it was very minor. It seemed to "heal" but about 4 or 5 days later when I tried to get out of bed in the morning I had pain in my back and legs so bad my wife called 911 and ambulance took me to a hospital. I don't remember the next four days but my wife said a doctor there took samples of my blood for a 2-day test and determined I had MRSA. It was attacking my lower spine. They performed surgery and "removed" the growing MRSA. Recovery was 7 weeks in rehab to learn to walk.

Comment from: Euodia, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I am a nurse who was giving wound care services at home. The patient"s postoperative ORIF (open reduction andinternal fixation) last year turned into a diagnosis of osteomyelitis and after tests of blood and pus culture, results were found to be MRSA. A few days ago when I was taking care of his wound, I got splashed in the eyes, with the pus from the patient. Then I immediately stopped my work and washed my eyes immediately with water. The next day I had sore throat, runny nose and headache, but no fever. My mucus changed color to dark yellow for 2 days, I did not take antibiotics, only consumed a lot of fruits and vegetables and took a multivitamin. Now I still have itchy throat, mucus has changed color to white.

Comment from: Tarhe54, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 17

I had a sore in my nose and used Polysporin on it, which seemed to cure my problem. At the recent doctor visit, he wanted to test it and it came back as MRSA. The doctor prescribed SMZ-TMP DS 800/160, a sulfur drug and rifampin capsules 300mg, which I am taking two per day for 14 days. The rifampin causes dizziness and almost unbearable bad stomach pain.

Comment from: Butterfly Lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have been quite sick since August, 2012. In December 2012 I was hospitalized for surgery. Within days, of being back home, recuperating from surgery, I saw two red raised sores on my abdomen; then on my right upper arm, then the sores spread to my other arm, and both legs, which I was told was cellulitis, on my legs, It took weeks to heal the legs, but now, almost one year later I have MRSA like sores all over both arms and my abdomen again; I was swabbed on one area a few months ago and it came back I had a staph infection, I was put on antibiotics and antibiotic cream and the sores went away, but only for a short while. Now the sores are all over both arms! I am very concerned as I have the chills frequently and low grade temperature and generally do not feel well!

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?