Patient Comments: MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

Comment from: kwolfe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I ended up getting two golf ball sized cysts in my right arm pit. There was pus everywhere when the doctor cut them open. They sat there wide open for about 45 minutes. Two weeks later I had blood infection, red stripe all the way from my hand to my right armpit. I ended up getting blood poisoning.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a hysterectomy in 2011 and shortly after my surgery I started to develop small blisters on my lower arms. My doctor could not figure out what it was at first. It took until September of 2013 to get diagnosed as MRSA. Since my diagnosis both my arms have been covered from shoulder to the tops of my hands several times. I am allergic to sulfur so I was prescribed clindamycin and Bactroban ointment. Three weeks ago the MRSA infection started to attack my joints. I am a mother of 2 and I could not even lift my arms to hug my children. I went to the doctor and he gave me prednisone steroid which helped immensely, my arms were clear and joint pain was gone within 3 days, only to wake up this morning to another flare up on my arms, and the joint pain back. This is a terrible awful disease to have and I feel for each and every person who is suffering with it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: strangerthanur, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been dealing with MRSA now for over 5 years. I have had it on my eye, my chin, buttocks, hip, knee, back of my thigh and I am getting an outbreak on my eyebrow bone. I have been dealing with breakouts for the last 2 months on my face and I have been doing it all, sanitizing all the areas I am in and keeping my infected area clean and mostly covered because the areas I get it in, it is hard to put a band aid on sometimes. So I put a big blob of triple antibiotic ointment on it and mostly hope it won't get full blown. I have even resorted to straight Clorox bleach drenched on a cotton ball directly on the infected area before it gets full blown. I know when I am getting a symptom of MRSA and I immediately go into prevention mode. I have too many scars from this nasty infection so I try to keep it from getting full blown. My infections only take 3days to be full blown then it's too late and it's a longer recovery time. I have done all the hospitals and doctors and medical bills that are outrageous, so I started treating myself and I let my immune system help fight it off. The prevention procedures I battle it with also help so the out breaks don't get as nasty and painful like before and the recovery time is about a week; but I must be diligent the whole time during the infection. I will say I am getting tired because it's been nonstop for me now for almost 2 months but I will not let this bug win no matter what.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

This past July I developed a small sore on my forehead. It was really itchy and I kept scratching at it. It started to get better but then got worse. I finally saw my doctor and he put me on some antibiotic. The next day the right side from my forehead to just below my right eye was swollen and my right eye was closed. It then got worse so I went to the emergency room because I was so sick. The sore on my forehead was huge with black stuff leaking out of the sore and most of my face was swollen. I couldn't see out of my right eye. At the emergency room they hooked me up to IV antibiotics and told me that I would be staying at the hospital for at least 3 days. They did a swab test and I was told I had MRSA. It also had gotten into my blood stream and they were worried about that. I was treated with 2 IV antibiotics. I also had a surgery done on my forehead and head to open up the sore and clean it out. Then a wound VAC was hooked up to the sore. I spent 9 days in the hospital and after I got out I had 2 weeks or oral antibiotics. A month later I had surgery done on my forehead and head by a plastic surgeon to put my scalp back together. I have a 4 inch scar from my forehead to the back of my head and another 3 inch one from my left ear to the middle of my head. I still get bad headaches from that surgery. Since the first MRSA experience I've had 3 other episodes. One on the left side of my jaw and it wasn't too bad. It cleared up with oral antibiotics. The second episode was along the 4 inch scar from the first episode and was a bad abscess. It hurt a lot and took days of hot packing it and getting the pus out, along with oral antibiotics before it would clear up. The most recent one (now Dec 2013) started as a small sore by the side of my mouth caused by shaving. By that evening the right side of my face next to my mouth and including my lips, were swollen and a large hard bump developed. I saw my doctor the next day and he put me on oral antibiotics and I've been hot packing the large bump. The swelling and bump has gone down a little bit but I've only taken 3 doses of the antibiotics. I'm hadn't gotten any pus from the sore yet. I may end up having to go to the hospital if it doesn't get better. It is very painful too.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Grumpy Dad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I contracted MRSA in May 2012 (3 weeks into recovery) when my right hip was replaced. I had a surgery to clean out incision infection and was put on intravenous antibiotics for 6 weeks and oral antibiotics until the end of the year (my blood "markers" were all good). In March 2013 the MRSA surfaced again in the hip incision. I had surgery again to clean out the infection and it appeared the infection had not reached the hip implant. At a follow up appointment in July, X-rays showed the implant had failed due to infection in the femur. Surgery in August confirmed MRSA in the femur. I currently have a medicated spacer in the femur and am receiving intravenous antibiotics. I have surgery scheduled for October 10th. If a frozen tissue sample shows that the infection is gone, I will receive a new hip. If the MRSA is still present, a new medicated spacer will be put in and the intravenous regimen will begin again. I was forced to take a medical retirement in January 2013. I have been on crutches or a walker since January. This has been a nightmare for me and my family. I am hoping for this treatment plan to be successful so that the 6th surgery on my right hip in 17 months will be the last.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors