Patient Comments: MRSA - Prevention

What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?

Comment from: KChurch623, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 16

My daughter was 6 months old when she was first diagnosed with MRSA. She is 2 years old now and has had about 4 more confirmed cases and probably another 4 that we've detected and began treatment at home with no culture. After the first case, we thought it was just a crazy incident, until about a month later when she got another abscess a couple of inches away, both in her diaper area. The infections always clear right up after the first few doses of the oral antibiotic. The topical ointment seemed to have made it worse, so we don't put that directly on the site, but for preventative measures, swipe it in her nostrils with a cotton swab. We also give her 3 baths with a cap full of bleach per week and use Hibiclens wash a few times per month. We've seen an immunologist to see if a suppressed immune system was to blame for the continuing number of recurring infections, but all of that checked out fine. We are waiting to be scheduled to see an infectious disease specialist, because with all of the preventative measures we take, the poor baby just keeps getting these painful abscesses.

Comment from: Lone Ranger, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I had an MRSA boil, about 3 inches under my umbilicus. Who knows how it got there! It started out looking like a 'spider bite'; within 48 hours it was a big purple nasty boil that had to be incised and drained. Standard antibiotic therapy got rid of it, but I did not want this recurring, so based on the CDC's (Centre for Disease Control) 16 page white paper, here's what I've done to prevent reinfection. 1.) Disinfect all surfaces with bleach solution, especially bathroom and kitchen. It doesn't have to be that strong; one cup of bleach to a gallon of water is more than sufficient. Mop the floor with it as well. Along the same lines, use bleach with any towels you've used. You're trying to keep from re-infecting yourself, plus you're trying to keep anyone else from getting it. 2.) This isn't pleasant, but it's not too bad: You don't want this staph permanently colonizing your skin. I took bleach baths. One cup of bleach to a bath tub full of water is sufficient. Soak the affected area and all other surfaces of your skin. Don't get it in your eyes. 3.) In addition to the antibiotics, I applied silver chloride aqueous solution into my nose, both sides, as far up as I could get it. You can get it at any drug store. Doing these 3 things, I have beat the odds. Once you've had it, you're supposed to be a carrier for life, and prone to reinfection, and/or infecting others. I've not had another bout, nor have any of my family members gotten it. If you've had this, you know how badly you don't want anyone else to get this, so better to do the things above!

Comment from: kamith, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I've been in and out of the hospital for months and just recently I was diagnosed with MRSA. I don't know how I got it but I did and now I have to do a 10 home infusions for 10 days. It worries me that my family can get sick from it.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?