Patient Comments: MRSA - Prevention

What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?

Comment from: Lone Ranger, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 09

I had an MRSA boil, about 3 inches under my umbilicus. Who knows how it got there! It started out looking like a 'spider bite'; within 48 hours it was a big purple nasty boil that had to be incised and drained. Standard antibiotic therapy got rid of it, but I did not want this recurring, so based on the CDC's (Centre for Disease Control) 16 page white paper, here's what I've done to prevent reinfection. 1.) Disinfect all surfaces with bleach solution, especially bathroom and kitchen. It doesn't have to be that strong; one cup of bleach to a gallon of water is more than sufficient. Mop the floor with it as well. Along the same lines, use bleach with any towels you've used. You're trying to keep from re-infecting yourself, plus you're trying to keep anyone else from getting it. 2.) This isn't pleasant, but it's not too bad: You don't want this staph permanently colonizing your skin. I took bleach baths. One cup of bleach to a bath tub full of water is sufficient. Soak the affected area and all other surfaces of your skin. Don't get it in your eyes. 3.) In addition to the antibiotics, I applied silver chloride aqueous solution into my nose, both sides, as far up as I could get it. You can get it at any drug store. Doing these 3 things, I have beat the odds. Once you've had it, you're supposed to be a carrier for life, and prone to reinfection, and/or infecting others. I've not had another bout, nor have any of my family members gotten it. If you've had this, you know how badly you don't want anyone else to get this, so better to do the things above!

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA -Treatment Question: How was your MRSA treated?