Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: Alive, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I was born with exstrophy of the bladder and associated anomalies (midline defect). The first five years of life was dealing with a primary closure process with extensive surgeries. From through 11 years of age an attempt was made to create normal physiology during which time it was observed that one ureter was longer than the other and surgery was performed to shorten it and connect to the 2nd one creating a 'Y' with only one going directly into the bladder. This and additional other tissue were set aside in the abdominal cavity for future re-creative development. It was that tissue that actually created additional internal problems as it created major adhesions to the small intestine causing digestive problems over the years. At the age 15 years, having developing major nephritis, the 15 years of constructive surgery was disconnected and an ileal conduit was created. At age 17 years I developed bacterial kidney stones which involved 81 days in the hospital going into each kidney twice and rebuilding ileal conduit. Result was having 5 surgeries in 4 1/2 months. From that point on kidney function declined, which resulted in a kidney transplant. From September to December 2000 I had both kidneys removed, one in October and one in November. Then I had dialysis for 10 weeks, and then transplant in December, ten hours on the operating table. Over all over 88 surgeries. Cumulative surgeries resulted in adhesions and chronic urinary infections and now chronic bowel blockage issues. I was hospitalized for 12 days in ICU for major blockage in large intestine. Hernias repaired throughout the years were totally seven. I had multi-surgeries from 2000 to 2008, totaling 8 surgeries. Additional degenerative conditions from reflex infections over the years with the onset of hypertension swelling, gout type arthritis, venous sinus thrombosis, sever migraine headaches, various drug reactions, continued to take their toll on the body and kidneys and other parts of the body severely limiting activity. When the adhesions are hurting I use heating pad, hot showers, stretching, massage, and eat small amounts at a time, vegetables, not meat. I walk everyday even if it is just 10 minutes and do meditation.

Comment from: Tuhin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have had psoriasis. I had psoriasis at 15 years, on my leg, hands and elbow, but it was never given that name by a doctor and 46 years later I still have that. I use some medicine like Dermasol ointment and taken antihistamine tablets. In the past 15 years I have inverse psoriasis in my groin area and arm pits. Medications work some but it is a constant battle.

Comment from: NJ, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 28

My dad got MRSA in his amputation, in the last of the incisions to heal. We have been worrying with it for months, but doctors say that we are fortunate to be containing it. We soak it in a small hot tub of Epsom salts twice a day, following that with a soak in clear hot water, then fizz it with drops of hydrogen peroxide cleaned with a cotton swab, and then Bactroban (mupirocin ointment) applied with cotton swabs. We cover it with a clean bandage, anchored by some paper tape on both sides. Every day, twice a day, and I can tell you that this only contains it, never heals it.

Comment from: Patmadmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have used chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) to cleanse my skin when I get an MRSA pimple or boil. Get it at Walgreens or online. It kills the bacteria and doesn't sting. It works to manage MRSA. I am a registered nurse and have had this for almost 10 years. It does work.

Comment from: MomwithMRSA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had MRSA multiple times, numbering in double digits, since I was a junior in high school. My two year old has now battled it twice landing her in the hospital both times. Sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) has started losing its potency and it was the only thing that helped in my case. I"m battling a current infection on my upper thigh. I had it looked at and incised. It healed but I thought it was still too fiery and tender. The doctor looked at it, said it was fine, and sent me home, twice! Now it"s back again with a vengeance and has split open the original surgical scar to drain on its own. I have found nothing that works besides draining and pain pills, but I have found something that hurts. Do not use those antibacterial washes and Betadine baths! It hurts more than helps. It strips your body of the good bacteria more than the bad so you"re actually more susceptible to a recurrence. I also thank this site and blog so much. I was despairing that I was one of the only ones this happened to. My family has all gotten it, one or maybe two times and it has gone away for them. I hope they find a cure or something to help people going through this soon.

Comment from: Big Dennis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I take medicines for high blood pressure, thyroid, water, heart rhythm, potassium and acid reflux. Being 50 lb. overweight really messed me up!

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?