Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: MomwithMRSA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had MRSA multiple times, numbering in double digits, since I was a junior in high school. My two year old has now battled it twice landing her in the hospital both times. Sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim) has started losing its potency and it was the only thing that helped in my case. I"m battling a current infection on my upper thigh. I had it looked at and incised. It healed but I thought it was still too fiery and tender. The doctor looked at it, said it was fine, and sent me home, twice! Now it"s back again with a vengeance and has split open the original surgical scar to drain on its own. I have found nothing that works besides draining and pain pills, but I have found something that hurts. Do not use those antibacterial washes and Betadine baths! It hurts more than helps. It strips your body of the good bacteria more than the bad so you"re actually more susceptible to a recurrence. I also thank this site and blog so much. I was despairing that I was one of the only ones this happened to. My family has all gotten it, one or maybe two times and it has gone away for them. I hope they find a cure or something to help people going through this soon.

Comment from: Bayoujoe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

After my second knee replacement in 2010 (no problems with the first one in 2009) I started rehab three days a week. After twelve sessions my knee wasn't much stronger so my rehab was extended to twelve more sessions. I was getting progressively worse and could barely lift my leg. I was in so much pain that I was sent to the hospital where they drew fluid from the knee and sent me home. A couple of days later they called me and told me to get to the hospital right away, that the tests showed that I had two different infections in my knee, one of which was MRSA. I stayed in that hospital for 25 days. They put a peripherally inserted central catheter (PIC line) into my heart to pump antibiotics into my system. While I was there, I returned to surgery and they removed my knee prosthesis and placed a medicated cement in the vacant joint. I was transferred to a long-term facility and stayed there for 34 more days for a total hospital stay of 59 days. They told me that there was the possibility that they would have to amputate my leg. I did everything they told me to do so I could get better. My roommate had MRSA also but they had already amputated one of his legs and he eventually succumbed to the infection. He wouldn't always follow the doctor's instructions and it cost him his life. I received my antibiotics through my PIC line for a total of six weeks. Two months after being released from my 59-day hospital stay, they removed the medicated joint and placed a new prosthesis in my knee. I am not living in the constant pain as I was before I had the knee replacements but I had to pay a heck of a price to get there.

Comment from: Phil, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Infection area was large and required lancing and removal of necrotic tissue and then packing to allow drainage. The incision site was large and healing lasted for nearly 10 weeks starting with repeated packing until it started closing and then cleaning area with antibiotic soap and application of a bandage changed twice daily. Oral antibiotics were administered for 10 days each using clindamycin and Bactrim. They also swabbed my nasal passages to determine if I may be a carrier. They did a sensitivity test on the samples taken to determine the best course of treatment. After the infection site was closed, they gave me Bactroban Cream to apply to the infection site and surrounding skin area to assure that any residual bacteria on the skin was killed. I experienced two episodes of MRSA infections and the first time the antibiotic treatment period with Bactrim was only 7 days and apparently not long enough to kill the infection and it recurred. It has not recurred from the 2nd longer treatment and use of the Bactroban Cream.

Comment from: OHSU patient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had a small lesion on the nose. Internist w/MPH said it was deep pimple and drug tested me, came up with only prescription drugs. After almost two months, dermatologist swabbed and it was MRSA Staph. I'm on doxycycline, seems to be resolving in my favor.

Comment from: patrick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

After 20 different doctors, loads of different medications, manuka honey, tea tree oil, oil of oregano, phenomenal, Alcan and colloidal silver I had high hopes of one day illuminating the MRSA bug. It"s been over three years now and I don"t have any answers and neither does anyone else including naturopathic doctors (they don"t even call you back!). Hopefully I will be cured of this mess for I am thinking all the time who am I passing it on to.

Comment from: bax72455, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I was treated with all of the last resort antibiotics and skin creams, I can't remember all of them. I was in the hospital on and off from September 2012 to March 2013, I've been back 15 times for various MRSA infections and you have outbreaks just when you think you got it licked. I am trying natural remedies at this time, tea oil, vinegar, and Epsom salts.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had MRSA for 10 years now and have taken every possible antibiotic, prescription body washes, bleach baths, ointments. You name it I've done it and I still have it. My grandmother actually passed away from it in April, it infected her lungs. I have children and I work in the healthcare industry and am worried about how this affects those around me.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?