Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Published: October 13

I am desperate. My daughter has now been diagnosed with MRSA for the second time (wound on skin). Her fiance has had it once and her year-old baby was hospitalized with this condition as well. She has seen an infectious disease specialist and all anyone does is throw antibiotics at all of them. I am very afraid. I am an RN and I feel the entire family should be decolonized and treated more aggressively. I am terrified of the "super bug" thing developing.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I acquired MRSA after a hospital stay in 2007. I have never been able to have anyone believe that I contracted it there--since then I have had 5 foot surgeries and one leg surgery ending with the amputation of 2 toes and several deep scars in my legs.

Comment from: mistreated, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was diagnosed with MRSA before having surgery and was untreated even after surgery and the weeks following. I got MRSA in my incision, causing a hole in my belly. I had to pack dressings on my wound. This took three months to heal and now they (the hospital) are denying everything, saying I was treated. MRSA is not any fun to have and hard to treat when it is so bad.

Comment from: luckyones, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Last year, my husband developed MRSA. A pimple appeared on his right buttock. When it burst, the infection went inward causing nausea and dreadful pain. A cocktail of antibiotics were given daily for three to four months while in the hospital. By it being in such a sensitive area, he needed a colostomy bag placed until infection healed. They cut away dead tissue four different times until it was all gone. He's great now, and the colostomy bag was removed. His bottom had a wide maybe 4-inch-wide opening that was 1-inch deep. The wound vac wouldn't stay on. What healed him was the cocktail of antibiotics.

Comment from: forpetessake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

This is my third time having this "nastiness". It makes me feel so dirty. The first time I was given a generic healed within 10 days. The second time was less than three days from the first...same antibiotic given and lanced open. Healed within 24 hours! This one is on my leg. It's been a week and it still hurts, they drained it in the emergency room and the doctor gave me Bactrim pills, Bactrim cream for under nails and nose. I'm walking around with a "bullet" hole in my leg, so very ugly.

Comment from: trishcooks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

The infection is inside my right ear canal/middle ear. I have had chronic ear infections for a long time. I have a suppressed immune system due to RA and the meds that go with it. My GP has given me 14 days of Bactrim. He also wants me to see an Infectious Disease doctor, but kind of left it up to me and I don't know how to find one or who is good, but my rhuematologist is helping me to find someone and I have had to postpone my treatment for RA until the MRSA is under control.

Comment from: jonnyb, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My Daughter got MRSA from a cut that came into contact with a gym floor. If you are an athlete in gyms a lot don't mess around if you see an inflamed area where a recent wound was.

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

It's been since March 2011 that I've been diagnosed with MRSA after my neuro stimulator was put in. It had to be removed due to the infection and I've been hospitalized 2x more since because the infection keeps reoccurring & they have to re-open the surgey site and clean out the infection. I've been off antibiotics for a week now and go for blood work tomorrow. Infection was all clear as of friday. My white blood cells are very low though & they're watching them. I'm also getting headaches in back of my head/base of neck, with some nausea.

Comment from: RM, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I contracted MRSA while in the hospital being treated for double pneumonia. I must have picked it up from a needle or something because I had no open wounds. It settled in a sack in my spine. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. After spinal surgery to remove as much infection as possible, I was treated for 9 weeks with Zyvox.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?