Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: forpetessake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

This is my third time having this "nastiness". It makes me feel so dirty. The first time I was given a generic antibiotic...it healed within 10 days. The second time was less than three days from the first...same antibiotic given and lanced open. Healed within 24 hours! This one is on my leg. It's been a week and it still hurts, they drained it in the emergency room and the doctor gave me Bactrim pills, Bactrim cream for under nails and nose. I'm walking around with a "bullet" hole in my leg, so very ugly.

Comment from: trishcooks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

The infection is inside my right ear canal/middle ear. I have had chronic ear infections for a long time. I have a suppressed immune system due to RA and the meds that go with it. My GP has given me 14 days of Bactrim. He also wants me to see an Infectious Disease doctor, but kind of left it up to me and I don't know how to find one or who is good, but my rhuematologist is helping me to find someone and I have had to postpone my treatment for RA until the MRSA is under control.

Comment from: jonnyb, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My Daughter got MRSA from a cut that came into contact with a gym floor. If you are an athlete in gyms a lot don't mess around if you see an inflamed area where a recent wound was.

Comment from: Hopeful, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

It's been since March 2011 that I've been diagnosed with MRSA after my neuro stimulator was put in. It had to be removed due to the infection and I've been hospitalized 2x more since because the infection keeps reoccurring & they have to re-open the surgey site and clean out the infection. I've been off antibiotics for a week now and go for blood work tomorrow. Infection was all clear as of friday. My white blood cells are very low though & they're watching them. I'm also getting headaches in back of my head/base of neck, with some nausea.

Comment from: RM, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I contracted MRSA while in the hospital being treated for double pneumonia. I must have picked it up from a needle or something because I had no open wounds. It settled in a sack in my spine. It was the worst pain I have ever felt. After spinal surgery to remove as much infection as possible, I was treated for 9 weeks with Zyvox.

Comment from: michellek, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My treatment began with high doses of keflex but the levaquin was added as we waited for culture results. When I began running a fever, I went to the e.r. and had it drained and packed and cultured again. I then started a high dose of bactrim along with keflex. Currently, I am treating the open wound as they removed my packing yesterday. The fevers are the worst part of this process.

Comment from: Tee Tee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My infection was treated with doxycycline hyclate 100mg and sulfameth/trimethoprim.

Comment from: jobee, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

After initially being misdiagnosed with shingles, my two year old was given a 30 day prescription of Bactrim. Three areas on her buttocks opened and drained for a few days and now are dried up and healing. There is a fourth spot that is still red and swollen. I hope it doesn't have to open and drain before it will get better.

Comment from: mari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

This my second time with the outburst but this time doctor told me it is MRSA. I am not happy this is very painful. I am now taking antibiotics for 2 more weeks then surgery I pray this is it.

Comment from: dawn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I went in for a simple carpal tunnel and trigger finger surgery and came home with MRSA. Not only was it upsetting for me I'm a nurse who takes extreme caution to care for patients who have infections and not to spread them and I catch it in the very place I work from having surgery.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?