Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Initial lesion was deep, under left arm, swelled alarmingly within 3 days (about half tennis ball sized). Had surgery to drain and remove. MRSA was diagnosed from culture, 10 days oral antibiotics, another lesion returned on neck 10 days later. 10 more days standard oral antibiotics lesions reappeared within 4 days on neck, face, upper arms. A CDC doctor placed me on Bactrim for 90 days was not pleasant, but it worked perfectly has been 4 years, no further incidents after the 90 day treatment. Thank you doctor.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My daughter was recently diagnosed with MRSA. She is only 10 months old. About a week and a half ago she had a huge abscess on her lower back, my husband and I took her to the ER, it was lanced and drained and they took a culture. We came home and continued to drain the pus 3x a day for the next two days, it cleared up and I didn't think anything of it. Then just a few days ago the hospital called to let us know that it was MRSA, I had never heard of it before. Well, it's scary, my husband, myself, my 2 year old son and my daughter are all taking the prescribed mupirocen, and I've been cleaning away. Wish I had been educated on MRSA before, but it's here now and we have to take the necessary steps to prevent it, placing my faith in the Lord.

Comment from: harrisn144, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I first developed a boil on my right buttock a year ago. It turned into cellulitis and I had to have it lanced and packed for two weeks. I was given Bactrim which worked to heal it. Two weeks after it healed, another spot came up around the same area as the first. I immediately got put back on the Bactrim again and the second spot cleared up. A year has gone by with no problems, now this week what I believe to be another MRSA boil has appeared on my labia. It burst within only 3 days. I drained it myself, cleaned it well, and then applied a triple antibiotic ointment. It seems to be healing well. I am trying to avoid going back on the Bactrim as I don't believe it's healthy or wise to consistently be on antibiotics. Thus I'm trying to treat any outbreaks with triple antibiotic ointment, keeping the area very clean, and avoiding anything that may break my skin in sensitive areas.

Comment from: Horrified, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

Six months ago I found what I thought was a boil on my labia. After two days of hot soaks and no relief, I asked my Doctor to take a look; she aspirated the area and cultured it. Initially we thought it might have been a tick bite because I spend a lot of the time in the woods, the test results showed MRSA, I was put on Doxycycline and cipro for 7 days. Gone for 8 weeks and the cycle started all over again, and since then it has occurred 2 more times on my labia. One week ago I got what I thought was a small bite on my right thumb, so I went to the doctor, swabbed it, MRSA!! This time he put me on Bactrim DS. gone for now but what do we do to cleanse out bodies of this horrible disease???? I work in the healthcare field and I am scared.

Comment from: Scooter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Good luck on fighting MRSA. I got MRSA in 2006 and have been at war with it since then. Lots of surgeries and hospital stays. One thing to help you fight it is to have a lot of family support. I had my family then to help me, but since then all of them have passed away except my brother. Stay positive and remember to do a lot of research because you are the one fighting for your life.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had MRSA for 10 years now and have taken every possible antibiotic, prescription body washes, bleach baths, ointments. You name it I've done it and I still have it. My grandmother actually passed away from it in April, it infected her lungs. I have children and I work in the healthcare industry and am worried about how this affects those around me.

Comment from: help123, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

My daughter was diagnosed with MSRA, we had three incident within a 30 day period. She on several antibiotic, and we're at the doctors almost every other day to drain. Does anyone know how or what should I do to house proof my home. I youngest daughter (4) got one in the buttock - really afraid for her because she is always getting hurt and cut. Any suggestions!!!

Comment from: sodone, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My husband went on dialysis five and half yrs ago. Three months into he got mrsa due to the dialysis unit not keeping his port clean. It went to the mitral value and took two years to get it under control. He has been on 5 anti bodies and now is on 3, vanco, zyvoc, trempra. It works, but the cost destroys you financially. Can not operate on mitral he is a risk. Staying out of hospitals is the best advice.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?