Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: Horrified, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

Six months ago I found what I thought was a boil on my labia. After two days of hot soaks and no relief, I asked my Doctor to take a look; she aspirated the area and cultured it. Initially we thought it might have been a tick bite because I spend a lot of the time in the woods, the test results showed MRSA, I was put on Doxycycline and cipro for 7 days. Gone for 8 weeks and the cycle started all over again, and since then it has occurred 2 more times on my labia. One week ago I got what I thought was a small bite on my right thumb, so I went to the doctor, swabbed it, MRSA!! This time he put me on Bactrim DS. gone for now but what do we do to cleanse out bodies of this horrible disease???? I work in the healthcare field and I am scared.

Comment from: Christina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had MRSA for 10 years now and have taken every possible antibiotic, prescription body washes, bleach baths, ointments. You name it I've done it and I still have it. My grandmother actually passed away from it in April, it infected her lungs. I have children and I work in the healthcare industry and am worried about how this affects those around me.

Comment from: help123, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

My daughter was diagnosed with MSRA, we had three incident within a 30 day period. She on several antibiotic, and we're at the doctors almost every other day to drain. Does anyone know how or what should I do to house proof my home. I youngest daughter (4) got one in the buttock - really afraid for her because she is always getting hurt and cut. Any suggestions!!!

Comment from: sodone, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My husband went on dialysis five and half yrs ago. Three months into he got mrsa due to the dialysis unit not keeping his port clean. It went to the mitral value and took two years to get it under control. He has been on 5 anti bodies and now is on 3, vanco, zyvoc, trempra. It works, but the cost destroys you financially. Can not operate on mitral he is a risk. Staying out of hospitals is the best advice.

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was hospitalized the first time and given an introvienice broad-spectrum antibiotic for two weeks and continued orally for an additional two weeks. I wasn't tested further for infection or to see if it had cleared. I've had two more infections since, but no continued testing after treatment.

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have been treated several times for MRSA. Bactrim. They have lanced several and packed them. It goes away temporarily with the antibiotic, but always returns. I cannot seeem to get rid of it. I keep getting it in the same area around the buttocks. I have bleached my entire house. I wash my hands at work. Please help. I'm looking for a specialist. I have to get rid of this.

Comment from: lynmarie0123, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 18

I'm a caregiver for my 92 year old father who now has MRSA. It started as a rash type outbreak on both shoulder blades. It was so itchy he couldn't stop scratching and it later developed into shingles, then MRSA. The constant scratching is what caused it, the irritation. He was given Famvir for the shingles, then 2 oral antibiotics, doxycycline and SVM something or other, along with 60 mgs daily of Acidophillus. These 2 medications made my dad deathly ill, so now he only takes the doxy/acid together. The doctor lanced, drained the pus, and the infection over a course of 3 painful days. It continues to be extremely itchy and painful. I have to let it air dry for one hour a day, then repack for 10 consecutive days. Both he and I were also prescribed a nasal cream/ointment. It's pretty scary.

Comment from: TMRH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I believe that I contacted MRSA while in the hospital giving birth. Initially identified as a spider bite, my first experience only ended after a round of antibiotics. Bactroban/mupirocin works to a certain extent, but only after the bumps have surfaced. After suffering for more than 7 years with MRSA, I have been taking Oracea on a daily basis. It is a time-release doxycycline, that keeps the boils and pain problems at bay. It is very expensive, but I see a problem if I miss one dosage, so it is mandatory that I take it. It has given me the most relief.

Comment from: jenny, Published: March 14

I had MRSA a few months ago. It started out with what I thought was a spider bite on the back of my thigh. It was itchy and painful and had a black center. It became swollen very quickly, so I decided to go to a doctor. They prescribed me with Bactrim, which didn't seem to do anything. Eventually, the boil popped and even though I know you're not supposed to squeeze it, I knew I needed to get all of that crap out of there. A friend of mine had MRSA a few months earlier, and he told me to buy Hibiclens. This product is seriously the best on the market. I used it every day until my wound had fully closed up, and I still use it every once in a while. MRSA is so scary and I still find myself waiting for another one to pop up. So far so good though. Good luck. Popping it/getting it lanced was the most important step for me.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?