Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: Healthy One, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Four years ago when I was 45, I got MRSA. Mine was not on the skin. It was between the bone and muscle of my left leg. It took two weeks to finally get diagnosed after visiting 2 doctors and the ER twice. I was in incredible pain and could not walk. I spent two weeks in the hospital having surgery every other day to debride and clean out. I was on vanco for two weeks then switched to linezolid for 2 more months. The MRSA came back in the same place 4 months later. Another two weeks in the hospital on vanco, then home with a picc line with daptomyicin for 4 weeks. Then put on oral Bactrim but it made me sick so I was put on oral dyxicocyline for another 7 months. I have been healthy since but almost lost my leg when I first got it. Recover was long and I still have residual pain in my leg (and a 12 in scar!)

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Initial lesion was deep, under left arm, swelled alarmingly within 3 days (about half tennis ball sized). Had surgery to drain and remove. MRSA was diagnosed from culture, 10 days oral antibiotics, another lesion returned on neck 10 days later. 10 more days standard oral antibiotics lesions reappeared within 4 days on neck, face, upper arms. A CDC doctor placed me on Bactrim for 90 days was not pleasant, but it worked perfectly has been 4 years, no further incidents after the 90 day treatment. Thank you doctor.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My daughter was recently diagnosed with MRSA. She is only 10 months old. About a week and a half ago she had a huge abscess on her lower back, my husband and I took her to the ER, it was lanced and drained and they took a culture. We came home and continued to drain the pus 3x a day for the next two days, it cleared up and I didn't think anything of it. Then just a few days ago the hospital called to let us know that it was MRSA, I had never heard of it before. Well, it's scary, my husband, myself, my 2 year old son and my daughter are all taking the prescribed mupirocen, and I've been cleaning away. Wish I had been educated on MRSA before, but it's here now and we have to take the necessary steps to prevent it, placing my faith in the Lord.

Comment from: harrisn144, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I first developed a boil on my right buttock a year ago. It turned into cellulitis and I had to have it lanced and packed for two weeks. I was given Bactrim which worked to heal it. Two weeks after it healed, another spot came up around the same area as the first. I immediately got put back on the Bactrim again and the second spot cleared up. A year has gone by with no problems, now this week what I believe to be another MRSA boil has appeared on my labia. It burst within only 3 days. I drained it myself, cleaned it well, and then applied a triple antibiotic ointment. It seems to be healing well. I am trying to avoid going back on the Bactrim as I don't believe it's healthy or wise to consistently be on antibiotics. Thus I'm trying to treat any outbreaks with triple antibiotic ointment, keeping the area very clean, and avoiding anything that may break my skin in sensitive areas.

Comment from: Horrified, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 03

Six months ago I found what I thought was a boil on my labia. After two days of hot soaks and no relief, I asked my Doctor to take a look; she aspirated the area and cultured it. Initially we thought it might have been a tick bite because I spend a lot of the time in the woods, the test results showed MRSA, I was put on Doxycycline and cipro for 7 days. Gone for 8 weeks and the cycle started all over again, and since then it has occurred 2 more times on my labia. One week ago I got what I thought was a small bite on my right thumb, so I went to the doctor, swabbed it, MRSA!! This time he put me on Bactrim DS. gone for now but what do we do to cleanse out bodies of this horrible disease???? I work in the healthcare field and I am scared.

Comment from: help123, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 17

My daughter was diagnosed with MSRA, we had three incident within a 30 day period. She on several antibiotic, and we're at the doctors almost every other day to drain. Does anyone know how or what should I do to house proof my home. I youngest daughter (4) got one in the buttock - really afraid for her because she is always getting hurt and cut. Any suggestions!!!

Comment from: sodone, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My husband went on dialysis five and half yrs ago. Three months into he got mrsa due to the dialysis unit not keeping his port clean. It went to the mitral value and took two years to get it under control. He has been on 5 anti bodies and now is on 3, vanco, zyvoc, trempra. It works, but the cost destroys you financially. Can not operate on mitral he is a risk. Staying out of hospitals is the best advice.

Comment from: susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was hospitalized the first time and given an introvienice broad-spectrum antibiotic for two weeks and continued orally for an additional two weeks. I wasn't tested further for infection or to see if it had cleared. I've had two more infections since, but no continued testing after treatment.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?