Patient Comments: MRSA -Treatment

Question:How was your MRSA treated?

Comment from: Scooter, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Good luck on fighting MRSA. I got MRSA in 2006 and have been at war with it since then. Lots of surgeries and hospital stays. One thing to help you fight it is to have a lot of family support. I had my family then to help me, but since then all of them have passed away except my brother. Stay positive and remember to do a lot of research because you are the one fighting for your life.

Comment from: OHSU patient, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had a small lesion on the nose. Internist w/MPH said it was deep pimple and drug tested me, came up with only prescription drugs. After almost two months, dermatologist swabbed and it was MRSA Staph. I'm on doxycycline, seems to be resolving in my favor.

Comment from: patrick, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

After 20 different doctors, loads of different medications, manuka honey, tea tree oil, oil of oregano, phenomenal, Alcan and colloidal silver I had high hopes of one day illuminating the MRSA bug. It"s been over three years now and I don"t have any answers and neither does anyone else including naturopathic doctors (they don"t even call you back!). Hopefully I will be cured of this mess for I am thinking all the time who am I passing it on to.

Comment from: bax72455, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I was treated with all of the last resort antibiotics and skin creams, I can't remember all of them. I was in the hospital on and off from September 2012 to March 2013, I've been back 15 times for various MRSA infections and you have outbreaks just when you think you got it licked. I am trying natural remedies at this time, tea oil, vinegar, and Epsom salts.

Comment from: Healthy One, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

Four years ago when I was 45, I got MRSA. Mine was not on the skin. It was between the bone and muscle of my left leg. It took two weeks to finally get diagnosed after visiting 2 doctors and the ER twice. I was in incredible pain and could not walk. I spent two weeks in the hospital having surgery every other day to debride and clean out. I was on vanco for two weeks then switched to linezolid for 2 more months. The MRSA came back in the same place 4 months later. Another two weeks in the hospital on vanco, then home with a picc line with daptomyicin for 4 weeks. Then put on oral Bactrim but it made me sick so I was put on oral dyxicocyline for another 7 months. I have been healthy since but almost lost my leg when I first got it. Recover was long and I still have residual pain in my leg (and a 12 in scar!)

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

Initial lesion was deep, under left arm, swelled alarmingly within 3 days (about half tennis ball sized). Had surgery to drain and remove. MRSA was diagnosed from culture, 10 days oral antibiotics, another lesion returned on neck 10 days later. 10 more days standard oral antibiotics lesions reappeared within 4 days on neck, face, upper arms. A CDC doctor placed me on Bactrim for 90 days was not pleasant, but it worked perfectly has been 4 years, no further incidents after the 90 day treatment. Thank you doctor.

Comment from: 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

My daughter was recently diagnosed with MRSA. She is only 10 months old. About a week and a half ago she had a huge abscess on her lower back, my husband and I took her to the ER, it was lanced and drained and they took a culture. We came home and continued to drain the pus 3x a day for the next two days, it cleared up and I didn't think anything of it. Then just a few days ago the hospital called to let us know that it was MRSA, I had never heard of it before. Well, it's scary, my husband, myself, my 2 year old son and my daughter are all taking the prescribed mupirocen, and I've been cleaning away. Wish I had been educated on MRSA before, but it's here now and we have to take the necessary steps to prevent it, placing my faith in the Lord.

Comment from: harrisn144, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I first developed a boil on my right buttock a year ago. It turned into cellulitis and I had to have it lanced and packed for two weeks. I was given Bactrim which worked to heal it. Two weeks after it healed, another spot came up around the same area as the first. I immediately got put back on the Bactrim again and the second spot cleared up. A year has gone by with no problems, now this week what I believe to be another MRSA boil has appeared on my labia. It burst within only 3 days. I drained it myself, cleaned it well, and then applied a triple antibiotic ointment. It seems to be healing well. I am trying to avoid going back on the Bactrim as I don't believe it's healthy or wise to consistently be on antibiotics. Thus I'm trying to treat any outbreaks with triple antibiotic ointment, keeping the area very clean, and avoiding anything that may break my skin in sensitive areas.

MRSA - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with MRSA.
MRSA - Prevention Question: What methods do you use to prevent the spread of MRSA?