Patient Comments: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI Scan) - Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how magnetic resonance imaging (MRI scan) has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: Take My Pain Away, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I was in a bike accident brought to the trauma unit. They gave me ex-rays, MRIs and CAT scans and when all was said and done, they told me I was very lucky nothing was broken. Three weeks later my doctor ordered another MRI and found nothing. Four weeks later I got another MRI and this time with contrast they found 5 broken ribs, fractured scapula, torn rotor cuff (these were 3 separate MRIs)! So as far as I'm concerned they are not foolproof.

Comment from: loving life, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

Postpartum, I encountered body numbness without the ability to move my entire left side except my face. They sent me to see a neurologist first. That doctor said I am sure it is nothing, but let's do a MRI. Through this, I was diagnosed with a very large arterial venous malformation in my brain that was inoperable related to its location. This would never have been diagnosed without a MRI, and I probably wouldn't be here today to tell you.

Comment from: cheryl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Having the MRI done showed just how much damage has been done to my back whereas the x-rays only showed a fraction of the damage. It was a rather scary experience even though I thought I was not claustrophobic, but this was a minor hiccup.

Comment from: bev, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

My mother fell and was x-rayed - negative. She came home but continued to experience pain while walking. A week later, was x-rayed again - negative. A cat scan was negative. The MRI showed hairline fractures of the pelvis and hip. A small plate with a pin was put in place to provide stability to the pelvic bone with great results.

Comment from: A. Abid, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I had headache for almost three years and doctors would say you have migraine, ENT problem or pain due to stress and prescribed all type of pain killers and medicines. I was tired of this problem, myself I went to a hospital and done MRI. The report showed a big tumor in brain and advice immediate surgery. Micro surgery was done in 2004 after one more MRI followed by Gama Knife treatment. It was MRI only, from which doctor came to know about real problem. Thanks to the pioneer of MRI system.

Comment from: BigMike211, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I thought my husband was having a heat stroke with the weather being 100 for days. About 3 weeks of headaches, kind of loopy, numbness in the right hand, foot, face, lips, gums, and nose. With no relief we went to ER and they did an EKG, Ct scan then MRI. They found a mass on his brain stem. Now what? Thank God doctors know what to look for. Or what could be wrong. Nobody even said something was wrong. They just kept doing tests.

Comment from: SAM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I got the MRI scanning done to detect my back pain. The result of the MRI scanning said that i am 100 percent fit but I still have back pain.

Comment from: prissy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have had a headache every day for a year. I thought it was stress. Then my doctor ordered an MRI. I had a ruptured disc at c4-c5. It was pinching my spinal cord in half its size. I had to have a bone fusion and instrumental. The headaches went away, but I still can't do certain things, like holding my head down while I read or keep my head turned to the side for long. Now I have DDD in my lower back and am getting ready to have more tests done for that area. MRIs are great! I think anyone having pain should have to get one!

Comment from: KSim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was going through fertility process and was given an ultrasound that showed I had 2 fibroids. The nurse suggested surgery which I did not want to have. So I resolved to live with the 2 fibroids until some months later I heard about another procedure that is non-surgical that can eliminate fibroids. The doctor automatically requests an MRI. To my shock and amazement, the MRI showed that I didn't just have 2 fibroids, I have approx. 15!!!! The doctor said the surgery she suggested was a myomectomy which would only have allowed them to remove a few fibroids at once in order to sew my uterus back together. But he said it is possible that once they got in and saw how many there were they may have performed an entire hysterectomy because there are so many. I am just so thankful that he ordered the MRI and I was able to see this has been causing me problems for years and I did not know this. It's important to be proactive with your own health because many times some doctors are not concerned with taking the next step to properly diagnose you.