Patient Comments: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI Scan) - Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how magnetic resonance imaging (MRI scan) has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: trenton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I just went through 4 MRIs and have yet to be helped I have lived with chronic back pain for 20 years and thought getting the MRIs might finally get me some help. I guess I was wrong I now am the proud owner of 4 MRIs with not a bit of help from the DRs. Told I can live with the herniated disc and move on. I have never had this kind of poor treatment and I am so disgusted with the lack of treatment I cannot express how bad I feel.

Comment from: Glad'n'Greatful, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My father has been having rather painful back problems of late and recently received an MRI. Today he was showing me the results of his MRI, so I decided I'd try to figure out how to interpret it. I used an online search engine and found this web page as my first result. My father's problem was a Disc Herniation between L4 and L5. Thank you guys so much for this article!

Comment from: Phonse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

After years of suffering (multi-site body pain, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, dizziness, headaches, general weakness, neurogenic bladder, unexplained low-grade fevers, falls, and "screaming" pain when looking down) it took a psychiatrist to order a sitting-upright, flexion cervical MRI which revealed a herniated cervical disc. It has mashed the oval-shaped spinal canal into a v-shape, pinching the nerve! Also the disc underneath is bulging out following the same pattern. The neurosurgeon immediately ordered a sitting-upright lumbar MRI. Hopefully, this has been done in time to avoid permanent nerve damage. Surgery is required.

Comment from: Hoops, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Over the past year I have suffered increasing pain and discomfort in my hip. Much time has been wasted with Physiotherapy (unable to diagnose problem) and repeat visits to GP X-Ray referral (showing nothing - pain on movement or weightbearing). Each visit with gaps of a month or more before further feedback and again for next referral. At last! An MRI was suggested and taken. Lo and behold. Hip degeneration easily and obviously displayed on the scan. What a shame I have had to wait so long. The problem by now is in both hips. Perhaps useful preventative measures could have been taken with early diagnosis. Now looking at a long wait while the condition worsens enough for surgery. Let's have early MRI as a normal part of the diagnostic process.

Comment from: big dog, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My MRI results were not given to me by my primary physician. Instead I was called on the phone and told I had a bulging disk and a benign growth on my vertebra.

Comment from: Sir Brutus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

My MRI showed a lot of damage from a high impact fall six years ago that broke my neck, clavicle, and ribs. It also showed my compressed spinal cord. I have wasted muscles in my left shoulder and a lot of pain in my neck.

Comment from: mumu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have a stint in my kidney, I was passing kidney stones. The stint helps the stones to pass. I also have a mass in the abdominal cavity and was told to have an MRI, but was then told as long as the stint is in I cannot have the MRI to find out about the mass in my abdomen. I was informed that it will take 6-8 weeks recovery before I can have the MRI, my Doctor advised to have the mass removed as soon as possible, but needed the MRI to find out more about the mass before surgery.