Patient Comments: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI Scan) - Diagnosis

Question:Please describe how magnetic resonance imaging (MRI scan) has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: Elephas522, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

Hi, I am 24 and a survivor of 2 unavoidable car accidents. My initial MRI showed I had 2 bulging discs from first accident in 7/06. After 3 years of physical therapy, pain meds and the feeling of things not improving, I was sent to have a follow up MRI. My back had literally degenerated with now 3 degenerated discs, spinal canal stenosis in 2 joints, a hypertrophied ligament, in one of the joints with stenosis, 2 Schmorl nodes, and 3 bulging discs. Needless to say if it weren't for the MRI in just those 2 times help me to get dramatic treatment options, as of late I had a Radiofrequency Ablation on nerves that go to my spine to prevent pain signals to return to the brain, I'd be in unbearable pain for life. Though I still have pain it has been reduced somewhat I have a fighting chance. Then due to 2nd accident in 12/09 MRI detected a herniated disc in my neck and since I have nerve damage in my hand diagnosed by my EMG I had just undergone MRI for my wrist and elbow. I have EXTREME Ulnar nerve damage and the EMG cannot determine where if not more than one place my nerve is damaged. I am waiting for the results currently so that my Orthopedic Hand Surgeon can accurately know where he needs to operate on my arm/hand in order to prevent further UNREPAIRABLE damage that occurs from my impingement. I AM SO THANKFUL I live in an era that has the ability to see these problems otherwise my hand would be clawed and eventually become utterly useless for the rest of my life yet alone unable to ever return to any possible thought of a life at all. And MRI is the only tool that will be able to detect wear my nerve is being pinched other than cut and search. Unfortunately my muscle loss in my hand is very significant already and is more than probable to be permanent, the speed and accuracy of the MRI allows to prevent further loss from occurring and get me REQUIRED SURGERICAL help a-sap. God bless magnets and the beautiful scientist who engineered this medical miracle. I am forever in gratitude for all it's done for me alone. If it were up to me Full body MRI should be part of a yearly physical due to the amount of medical information it provides doctors and the ability it has to diagnose so many conditions early on that could give SOOO much preventative care and health tactile offense. Though I've never played any physical sports in my life any one knows the BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE. Medically that is spelt MRI.

Comment from: Antigone2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was having serious pain down my leg and into my foot. At first, I was treated with steroids, as the doctor thought that I might have an inflammation of my sciatic nerve. The pain persisted and I started to have weakness in my toes. I was examined by another doctor who detected the weakness. She ordered a MRI of my spine. The MRI showed that a ruptured disc had broken, and fragments of the disc had migrated into my sacrum. Surgery did remove the fragments and prevented further damage but could not undo the damage already done to my nerves. Without the MRI, it probably would have been impossible to diagnose this problem.

Comment from: mandyjuelz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have had a headache for 28 days. I have spent the last month worrying myself crazy in fear that I had bleeding of the brain or possibly a brain tumor. I went to my doctor, and he and I both agreed that I needed to have an MRI performed ASAP. I am grateful that I had one done. I got my results in less than 24 hours, and they told me that it came up negative (which is good). Although I still do not know what is causing my headaches, at least now I know that it's nothing that could possibly be serious or fatal. I am so grateful that we have access to medical technology (like an MRI scan) in this day and time!

Comment from: 13-18 (Caregiver) Published: November 19

An MRI just recently diagnosed my daughter with bilateral periventricular nodular heterotopias (BPNH). For the past four years, her neurologist had never had an MRI performed on her and had been treating for epilepsy. Then he dumped her. Her new neurologist could not believe an MRI had not been performed on her years ago when the seizures first started. He immediately ordered an MRI for my daughter.

Comment from: y4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

About 11 years ago, I was diagnosed with a slipped disc after about 10 months of not being able to walk. The MRI scan was the only thing that showed what was wrong. Also, I liked the sound of the machine, and I nearly fell asleep. I wouldn't hesitate in having another MRI scan if I needed to.

Comment from: couchspud70, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was having trouble with seasonal colds. When it started shifting into my left ear, I went to see my doctorand I was referred to an ENT(ear nose and throat) doctor who decided to take a MRI just to be safe and get a better look at the problem. After the results came back it was shown I had swelling inside my nose. After i went through surgery, I was breathing through my nose a lot better.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had 2 MRI scans last year to check on the progression of the MS I have had most of my 61 years, I have recently had a mastectomy because of recurring breast cancer. My surgeon said I have some enlarged lymph nodes in my neck, she thought chemo-therapy would be a next step, but my oncologist doesn't think chemo would be right for me, so he checked my neck to find the lymph nodes, and couldn't feel them, and ordered 2 MRI scans for me. I don't want that; please let me know about side effects from having more than 2 MRI scans so close together. No one ever gave me a relax pill or shot.