Patient Comments: Mold - Location in Home

Describe where you found mold in your home.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 23

There was a leak in the ceiling in the kitchen which caused the mold. The leasing office has fixed the leak and informed me that I can relocate to another apartment or move out without breaking my lease. My last option is to remain in my apartment.

Comment from: Concord6533, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My husband and I owned a home east of Cleveland, Ohio with bad black mold before knowing anything about the health risks. The home was very shaded (had trees overhanging the roof), had poor drainage (gutters growing saplings, green moss on roof, tree roots blocking downspouts and drain tiles, backyard was swampy until mid-June, crawl space not graded correctly and no vapor barriers, and very drafty due to poor insulation) and had a high water table (about 4 feet below ground). We lived in this home for 12 years when we were 23 to 35 years old (1985 to 1997). We battled the mold with diluted bleach on a weekly basis as it took us years to determine the multiple sources and fix, on a limited budget. I developed severe allergies and numerous bouts of bronchitis. Long term effects, my husband died at 48 of an oligodendroglioma (brain cancer similar to glioblastoma) and I was diagnosed with aplastic anemia at 48. Coincidence? I think not. Do whatever you can to detect and eliminate.

Comment from: rufussings, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I live in the home I was raised. The basement has had a musty smell for a few years. Last year I started coughing a lot. But this year after it rained so hard in June, some water, more than usual, leaked into my basement. It stayed very humid and damp most of this summer. The smell was worse and worse. I coughed more and more and I was also throwing up. I have been using a fan and opening a window in the basement and using moisture remover, until I can get a dehumidifier. I have also been removing floor tiles and some of the paneling and spraying it with Tilex mold spore killer. I also bought a mold bomb that I will use before winter. It seems to be getting better. It will travel through the vents with central air. So, I try not to have it on and use room air conditioners.

Comment from: sunyalive, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

Looking at all symptoms I thought it was pneumonia starting but found mold spores in air conditioner. It is just a year old but where I live is very humid! I'll make sure I clean it more frequently, at least the screens monthly; yes monthly, not 6 months as I was told!

Comment from: Butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I went to my physician today after having difficulty breathing. One diagnosis he gave me was inflammation of my airways and I was prescribed steroids to alleviate the problem. We know the mold is behind our shower wall. Lately I have been seeing small black specks on floor of shower. A while back my boyfriend used bleach and water to try to remove the mold. He also used caulking to seal around this wall in the shower. This he did around six months ago.

Comment from: Loretta, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

We have black mold in the bathroom and under our carpet.

Comment from: Suri, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

We moved in to a rental house and after using the washer/dryer to wash the cloths and bed covers, we got irritations all over the body. Skin got red and itchy and started to be swollen as well. For a week I was taking allergy medication and spent enough money on it until I found out this is because of the dark black mold that was in the washer rubber that connects the steel frame. After having contacted medical agencies they advised me how to get rid of this mold and related allergies.

Mold - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with mold.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?