Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Kimberly K., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have just moved from an apartment I lived in for 2 years. While I was there I became very ill and began breaking out in a rash and some kind of a fungus. Upon going to the doctor and moving, my symptoms were very bad cough, bloody nose, throat swelling, running nose, unable to hold food down, loose stools, memory loss, and many more mold related issues. I am being treated by my doctor now but still feel that he is not getting it.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 29

I work in home help care. I have noticed that the wall above his shower is black. I am concerned. He is a triple amputee and after his shower I get him ready. I noticed my nose running and I am sneezing like crazy. I have had to stay there for a couple of days and came home sick with coughing and nausea.

Comment from: Katz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I recently moved into a new apartment and had a leak under the sink in the kitchen. They fixed the leak only to find that it still leaked. Finally it is fixed and I can still smell the scent of water. I have been having severe headaches and aches all over my body. I had a series of blood tests and nothing but high B 12 in my blood.

Comment from: Breathless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

In an effort to clean a relative's home, I found that every visit there left me wheezing, coughing, and even breathless with itchy watery eyes. I thought it was a reaction to dust, so I always sprayed Lysol, wore gloves and a mask. This did not help. My doctor said I had allergies, but I had not had allergies before. Then one day, my brother noticed that the ceiling in the living room had water pockets with small holes. He said, 'I bet there's mold in that ceiling and that's what is making you sick.' I knew he was correct because there was a roof leak and the ceiling had been that way for a while. I checked various articles on the effects of exposure to household mold and discovered that my symptoms were classic. I should also add that the relative who lives in the house suffers from upper respiratory ailments and frequently uses albuterol in a breathing machine.

Comment from: Tammy Diane, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have been a caregiver in a home that was flooded 2 years ago. I get sick every time I go to that house, sore throat, difficulties breathing, bad nasal issues, and my body has started shaking, and I have hair loss. I am concerned there is black mold growing in the house.

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been dealing with mold exposure for about ten years. I am at the end of my rope, it seems like every home I move to has mold. I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, diabetes type 2, and skin lesion from the mold all over in my mouth, feet, hands, and nose. I do not know where to turn now. The problem is, everybody brushes me off; they all say mold is everywhere. A little bit about me, I worked in the medical field for 22 years, was a bodybuilder and ran marathons up until 10 years ago. Now I am just trying to live.

Comment from: stuart, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I lived in this block for a year and knew nothing of mold when I moved here. My son and I have been ill on an off the whole time we have lived here. To start with, we found a strip of mold in the cupboard and treated it and thought that was the end of it. Two days ago I saw a small damp patch on the bathroom linoleum and investigated. It turns out that the whole bathroom floor, every inch of it was thick with black mold under the linoleum; may be a slow leak somewhere did it. I have killed all the mold now and cleaned the floor right back to the concrete. I feel so flipping ill right now the last two weeks my whole body is a mess. I have no energy, head ache, it hurts to urinate and I have dizziness bad lungs. My little boy is throwing up, but he is not as bad I think, because we swapped bedrooms. I want to move soon and find a place in the countryside for a few months. Mold is bad news; find it and destroy it.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?