Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: curious mom, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 24

I am a mother of 3 young children, 7 years, 5 years, and 1 year. I moved into our apartment 2 years ago. I found black mold under the padding of the rugs in both bedrooms. The landlord said to spray bleach on it and it will go away. I never changed the old padding in family room. Recently I saw black mold on my bathroom wall when a piece of paint chipped. So I pulled a decent amount off and found that it is more than I thought. It is hidden under scrapple tape. My new landlord won't help, I wonder how serious this is.

Comment from: Co-oper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I felt some pain that started in the right side of my back, I was thinking it may be a stone, and over a month it grew worse and now circled my pelvic area into the scrotum. The clinical indication was gross hematuria. Here are the findings from the CT scan. Multiple diverticula in the colon, without evidence of acute diverticulitis, negative exam for renal or ureteral calculi, multilevel degenerative changes in the spine, at least 3 small lung nodules in the right lower lobe, measuring up to 7 mm, atherosclerosis and cholelithiasis.

Comment from: Kahlistarr21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I am a tenant, my landlord and maintenance man will not clean up my apartment. I am suffering from mold poisoning, I reported it several times and sent a letter to my landlord. Still nothing was done, I am disabled and can't afford to move. I am trying to find the best vitamins, and herbal ways that are not too expensive.

Comment from: Jan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I got stung by a stingray 9 days ago on Catalina Island. It felt like a hot ice pick into the top of my foot. I knew what it was immediately. It bled profusely and I read that the ray also injects an anticoagulant with the venom. The hot water soak for 1.5 hours helped immensely with the pain that was shooting from my foot up my leg, and after letting it bleed some, pressure stopped it right away. I sent a photo to a doctor and he prescribed 500 mg of Keflex 4 times per day. I also got Hibiclens antibacterial skin wash hoping to avoid secondary infection. The barb was not left in my foot and I hope no debris since I was hiking on an island and didn't have professional cleansing of the 1.5 inch wound. Being an avid, swimmer, diver, and surfer for 65 years, and never being stung is pretty good I guess. It's now itching like crazy! I see that others mentioned this too.

Comment from: countrylady10, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

My husband has been having diarrhea and nausea and he has been at home since he is retired. I have found places with mold and cleaned them up. However the other day I was at home for 3 straight days and I started with the nausea and vomiting. I wonder if this is mold poisoning.

Comment from: bearylynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

Biggest clue I had mold allergy was stepping outside on a damp, humid day (surrounded by swamps, etc.), I could feel the inside of my face swell up.

Comment from: Ray P, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

Bleach does not really kill mold, it mostly changes the color from black to what looks clear. Borax mixed in water is more effective. Mold likes a low pH, whereas borax has a high pH.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?