Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Basketball MOM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was in a Church School Gym with 2 big vent fans where I assisted at a basketball camp for two non consecutive weeks. When the fans were on I can smell a very musty smell. It was bad enough I had to cover my nose to breath until I exit the gym to get some air. I mentioned to the person running the camp (non church affiliated) there is a bad mold problem in this gym. The first week I went home tired, sneezing and with a headache everyday. I went on travel for a week and was fine. I came back to the second week of camp. By Friday, I felt real sick. Through the next week, I had a sinus headache, my cheek bones hurt, nose bleeds, coughing, sneezing, dizziness, congestion and difficulty breathing. Putting 2 and 2 together, I realized what the problem was. I was exposed to Mold. I am headed to the Doctor today, Tuesday, for confirmation and treatment. I am very concerned about the children that come through that gym everyday during school time. I will be writing the Pastor to inform him about the situation and pray he takes immediate action to remedy this mold problem.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Teresa, 55-64 Female Published: May 13

I purchased a home in Washington State from an executive secretary two months after the State department of Agriculture secretly issues a guidance document for home inspectors that since mold and mildew had no structural concerns it need not be reported on home inspections. I am the last person who would ever over react to the presence of a small amount of mold as I have worked in the field for over 40 years in the medical arena. My attic had over 1,000 square feet of a soft rot fungus which may also be referred to as a mold in general terms. It was not reported to me which delayed the diagnosis of my bloody noses, rash and cough. My cough sputum gram stained as no organisms seen, but pure macrophages with large vacuoles. The death of these cells releases cytokines which I feel led to my enlarged inflamed goiter. I was diagnosed later with adult onset asthma, wheeze, electric shocks in one leg thirteen to fourteen times a day, 8 neurological deficits as defined by my doctor. I was immunosuppressed with multiple pulmonary and urinary tract infections. One physician informed me that the peripheral neuropathy was quite common in mold exposed patients and that mold sequesters Vitamin B. I took Vitamin B and my peripheral neuropathy disappeared in one month's time and I never had an other urinary tract infection for 1.5 years. I was given a 25,000 uro/gyn surgery which failed to help me at all with the infections, but only made matters worse. I will be on Advair for life, I suffer from multiple chemical sensitivity and can not work around perfume without becoming faint and nauseated as well as it serves to aggravate my asthma. Physicians should become aware of the non-allergic effects of mold. This ignorance is costing our health care system far too much.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: aienello, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a bad experience with mold primarily because I didn't know for several months that my breathing problems were from the large amount of mold spores circulating in my home's air. A friend of mine mentioned that I should check and see if there may be areas in my home that were damp and dark. I did find some areas that looked like they might have been the source for mold spores and had a mold inspection company take a look at it. They did find mold and removed it for me. In about a couple of weeks my breathing was much improved.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: skyhopper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I worked in a recycling facility where there are hundreds of pails full of mold. We had to wash these pails with improper PPE (personal protective equipment).

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: dena marsch, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

My washing machine drain has a small leak and I keep putting rags around the drain pipe. After a while the rags and the floor around the leak starts to turn black and slimy, I wonder if this is black mold and if it is dangerous.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: poto, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My daughter has lived in her home for 20 years. She and her husband have been ill most of that time. Within the last year, she has developed food allergies and asthma. Doctor's diagnosis is adult onset asthma brought on by allergies. I have thought for years that they have a mold problem. She has had serious respiratory issues for a year. Her husband developed an unknown muscle disease that has taken him out of work. He has had sinus surgeries and tubes in his ears several times over the years.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.