Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Teaching in Mold, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I work as an Instructor on Wednesday nights. Every week, I get terribly sick. It starts with a very raw-like sore throat, followed by chest pains, flu-like symptoms, and general malaise. I KNOW its mold in that old building.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

After seeing numerous physicans, it was clear that many were dismissive or had little understanding of my health problems. I was referred to the mold treatment centers of America by the national mold resource center...and they gave me the testing and treatment that I had so desperately been looking for. I wish I had not had to suffer from mold sickness for so long, but I am glad I found a solution.

Comment from: Lizajane555, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

We rented a house that ended up having several types of mold. I immediately started coughing heavily at night and my boyfriend who has asthma became very ill. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months after being exposed to the mold. I would like to know if there is a strong chance that the mold caused the dysfunction of my thyroid.

Comment from: ayannailene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have burning, cloudy eyes with extreme headaches. My arms and legs take turns radiating with a burning sensation. My breathing is shallow. My back burns so bad it brings tears to my eyes. My skin has white patches on chest and back and shoulders. Last but not least, my fingers, wrist and toes cramp and feel stiff. It's so hard to find help without insurance.

Comment from: sickofmoldinalabama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

We discovered black and green mold in the window sills and along the walls of our apartment. I would wake up at night having trouble breathing, leg cramps, with nose bleeds. Our landlord claims the mold was not harmful and when I called the health department and county building inspectors they told me to get a lawyer. We contacted several lawyers but they said that it was a long shot getting any legal action since there are no real regulations at this point. We need regulations/laws to protect people from this terrible health hazard. Don't rent apartment until you look closely!

Comment from: Lillian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

A family member lives in a 60 year old cement block house that has been vinyl sided. Evidence of a moldy green/black substance was visible on the blocks all around the house in some areas as high as 2 feet. The moldy substance is again visible on the siding over much larger areas. There is a musty moldy smell in the house at all times and is present on their clothing especially noticeable when they come to visit. Numerous almost continuous health issues are present in all household members including sore throat scratchy throat coughing with phlegm, runny nose and respiratory congestion.

Comment from: need to breathe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Oh my, I have had allergies through the years and upon occasion had to use Albuterol, and medication. In January of 2010, I became severe. Steroids, Advair, Albuterol, and a Nebulizer. In March 2010, it was discovered I had a water leak between my master bath and living room walls upon knock down, 4 1/2 to 5 foot high of mold, some black. My home repaired, but needless to say, my health has deteriorated and continue to use daily treatments, less the steroids. The mold was there for some time. My quality of life has been severely inhibited to even perform simple tasks.

Comment from: pomp7122, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with a lump in my right lung middle lobe last Nov 14 and by Nov 25th I had major surgery to remove the complete middle lobe. Two week later, when the results came back, I was told I had a "mold spore" that have lodged and grown to the size of a golf ball. I asked and was told I could have breathed it in anywhere.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?