Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: dmo8647, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had a pile of mulch outside... wet underneath. I cannot handle myself so got help having it ground up. But the mold is still there and I"m coughing all the time for over a week. I have runny nose and aches and pains in shoulders and arms.

Comment from: Collette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I had been suffering from mold sickness for years. The doctors kept bouncing me around from this person to that person. They gave me lots of different tests but none that confirmed that I had mold or toxins from the mold in my body. So I started to do my own research and found a clinic that specialized in this type of environmental illness. Needless to say, they treated me as a whole not basing their conclusions based just on my symptoms which could have been any number of things. It is 2 months later and I am feeling almost my normal self again. Until the doctors out there get of their high horse start listening to their patients and re-educate themselves on this subject, many people are going to remain sick, as long as that arrogance and ignorance is continued to be permitted by the medical profession.

Comment from: SandyB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Hello and mold problems began in the 60's after the ER doctor told me I would have been dead within the hour from an allergy. He asked what I had been doing and I told him riding a horse when the attack of not breathing properly began. He told me not to do it again or I could die and get to an allergist ASAP. He gave me some little white pills to put under my tongue until the allergist could get the problem under control. I have shots through the years. Until last year I had no attacks at all and a violent attack. Thank God one of the allergist told me never to be without Benadryl ever in my life in case of an attack. I am so happy I listened and was never without Benadryl. It saved my life. Now after a year of shots I had another awful attack with throat closing and throwing up. The doctors, family and allergists had me keep an EpiPen near me at all times and thank God also Benadryl. It appears tea is a big mold issue as I was always drinking tea when the attacks happened but I never suspected black tea. Then I read about mold on black tea leaves and it all made a pattern over the last 59 years. Mold always proved to be the offended with allergy tests etc. So now I am better not ever touching tea again. I drank about 5 cups of hot tea a day plus iced tea. So the allergist told me another year of shots for mold recently. Thank you for this site.

Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I found out 3 months ago that the people who sold me my house never disclosed that there had been a sewerage backup in the house from city sewers and they also never had it cleaned up properly, leaving the sewerage in the walls and under the floors. Then they sold the house to me, I am having some symptoms associated with breathing in mold. I had air tests done and the results were bad very elevated levels of 3 different forms of mold. My attorney tells me I am not entitled to anything for emotional distress or damages, I have had to move out because the house is now classified as unlivable. How can these people get away with this!!!! This is wrong.

Comment from: kathleen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

I'm usually a healthy forty year old female. In the last few months I've been having shortness of breath, headaches, pain in my neck and shoulders, and heart palpitations, and my skin is itchy. Sometimes I would get dizzy and my chest would feel heavy I thought I was having a heart attack or something. I couldn't find what was giving me so many problems. The other day I was cleaning my memory foam mattress and found a lot of black mold. And reading the testimonies on this site I think I found the source of my problems. Thank you for sharing!

Comment from: Guinea pig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had been 2 weeks in hospital for surgery. During this time the drought broke and it rained nonstop. By the time of my discharge it had stopped. About a week later I noticed that I was getting a kind of cold, but it wasn't a cold. Sneezing, running nose and a pain in my nose and sinus to cause me to take to my bed. I tried aspirin and other cold remedies but nothing worked. Eventually I found the culprit. It was a patch of mould on the ceiling in the study. I had to shut the door and restrict myself from entering that room. The symptoms persisted. I had a think about it and decided that it called for drastic action. But in the meantime I tried my friend's advice she had given me in the past when I found I was infected with thrush. She advised me to eat some yoghurt. Well I tried it and it worked. The symptoms stopped. All except the dry cough. However I noticed that if I run out of yoghurt the other symptoms return.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?