Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: kathleen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

I'm usually a healthy forty year old female. In the last few months I've been having shortness of breath, headaches, pain in my neck and shoulders, and heart palpitations, and my skin is itchy. Sometimes I would get dizzy and my chest would feel heavy I thought I was having a heart attack or something. I couldn't find what was giving me so many problems. The other day I was cleaning my memory foam mattress and found a lot of black mold. And reading the testimonies on this site I think I found the source of my problems. Thank you for sharing!

Comment from: Guinea pig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had been 2 weeks in hospital for surgery. During this time the drought broke and it rained nonstop. By the time of my discharge it had stopped. About a week later I noticed that I was getting a kind of cold, but it wasn't a cold. Sneezing, running nose and a pain in my nose and sinus to cause me to take to my bed. I tried aspirin and other cold remedies but nothing worked. Eventually I found the culprit. It was a patch of mould on the ceiling in the study. I had to shut the door and restrict myself from entering that room. The symptoms persisted. I had a think about it and decided that it called for drastic action. But in the meantime I tried my friend's advice she had given me in the past when I found I was infected with thrush. She advised me to eat some yoghurt. Well I tried it and it worked. The symptoms stopped. All except the dry cough. However I noticed that if I run out of yoghurt the other symptoms return.

Comment from: TWTras, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

We have been experiencing chest heaviness, sore throat, headache, running nose, sneezing, and body aches. In addition, I have been having heart palpitations and my son says he's been feeling dizzy and often feels like passing out. We thought we were just catching a cold, but we started to notice a thin layer of mold growing on our stuff in the garage. The dryer vent leads into the garage, and our rooms are directly above it. Our symptoms have never really gone away but only have gotten worse. Now I know, after reading the information on your site that we are breathing in mold and need to kill the source.

Comment from: Sandy B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I was running a fever along with a very dry cough. I had a severe reaction where my throat closed, so I took Benadryl. The doctor surprised me and told me that with my history of mold allergy that I had a snow mold allergy. I had never heard of this. He gave me two Epi-pens and told me to go to an allergist. Wow, at 72, I did not to hear this. He told me there is mold under the snow, leaves etc. So now it's back for shots. I'm happy he found the cause though.

Comment from: Nestkeeper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

A long-standing plumbing leak was not discovered until after an abundance of mold growth had occurred in the area. Unaware of the mold growth, I had developed an array of allergic reactions. I broke out in hives over my entire torso. My feet and arms were itchy as well. My eyes watered, and I began to have difficulty breathing in that I would cough, wheeze, and not be able to draw in and exhale enough oxygen. A friend commented that there was a "moldy" odor in the living room on and off. That began our search for mold, which we discovered in the kitchen behind the sink, up high and partially obscured by the sink underside itself. Meanwhile, the asthmatic symptoms increased to the point where I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room for IV steroids and albuterol inhalation therapy. I was discharged home in better shape, with oral steroids to take over a period of 7 days, and a rescue inhaler for breathing events. Scary experience. I immediately called a mold remediation company and had the mold professionally removed. None of my symptoms recurred. However, I seem to be more sensitive reactively to mold than I was before. A brief exposure will now cause enough symptoms to make me sit up and take notice.

Comment from: blondie, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My daughter lives in housing off base, and the air conditioner and vents were loaded with mold. The apartment complex removed the AC, but did not clean anything. My daughter now has severe swelling in face, and has been getting tested for a heart condition. Which, she did not have prior to moving into this place. When the health department was contacted, nothing would be done. As a matter of fact they were rude to her.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?