Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I bought a home about six months ago. Lately, I have been feeling like I have a constant cold, sore throat, headache, fever, chills, body aches, etc. I just started going through some boxes that I had stored in my basement. I noticed a white, powdery substance on a rug and the same on a box of boots is the same area. I looked above the area and notice that part of the ceiling was covered with a pressed board. when I pulled some of this down, I noticed mold. I believe this is the main source and that there was water damage in the basement before I purchased the home. I am convinced this is the reason for my ailments and will begin cleanup. Hopefully, I will begin to feel better and the damage to my health is reversible.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: native, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 09

On the bottoms of my I feet have had red itchy skin, i have had rashes, on my arms and back are moles, and i get foggy vision occasionally. A house we used to live in had 2 holes in the floor, windows needing sealed, and drafty doors. My father only made enough to pay grocery and utilities. Both parents recently passed. She had lung infection, and heart trouble,including water retention. He had incontinence and heart trouble. Thanks to a natural diet program, I am getting detoxed from my mold poisoning. Please spread the word to those with finances to assist those who need help with home repair to prevent drafty residences. I am on a no sugar, no yeast, no cheese diet until I am free.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: meangreenpittsburgh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I am currently living in a building that has black mold growing on the walls at an alarming rate. I was on the Channel 11 news hoping that someone will listen. I am taking business and green construction classes. It is a shame that innocent children are exposed to this. People have got to understand that our houses can make us very ill. I am on a personal crusade to right this wrong!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Kerritent, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Between 2003 and 2005, I had weekly allergy shots for mold, among other allergens. Soon after, I moved from Washington State to Fresno, CA. My allergies have been somewhat manageable until five days ago when I moved into my newly-constructed home. Not present before, the mold suddenly appeared in areas through the house along the baseboard and edge of the carpet. The builder has brought in a specialist; they have sealed off one bedroom and have been running a dehumidifier the past two days. I have been sleeping in my home the past five nights among the mold. Meanwhile, I am beginning to experience allergy symptoms of runny nose, irritated throat (hoarse voice), sinus pressure and headache, and my right eye is showing signs of allergic conjunctivitis that I have had twice previously. I have made an appointment to see my doctor this afternoon.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Published: October 23

Mold is definitely no joke. My child got very sick from it. Luckily we caught it. Once we realized her sickness was from mold we got it taken care of and she's fine now.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Sheila *, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

After repeatidly coming down with bronchitis, I finally was seen by an allergist. My top allergy was mold. I am taking medication daily throughout the year, and usually don't have any problems unless I forget my meds. For years I have had my hands break out and the skin actully splits open to painfully sore fingers and hands. Last year I finally put it together and realized I had touched the mold/mildew in our basement and did not wash my hands right afterwards. I told my allergist and he said you really are allergic to mold. So take precautions.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Helpless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I worked in an environment for 6 years where mold was in the walls and ceiling. Although we were told no mold existed, I continuously had chronic sinusitis. I took Singulair and Claritin D along with steroidal nose spray. My lymph nodes were enlarged and had chronic malaise. Finally, the mold began growing out of the walls. I went to an ENT who gave me antibiotics which never cured the sinusitis and he finally referred me to an allergist. The allergist gave me allergy tests and me and said I was allergic. I went to another ENT who gave me allergy test and said I was not allergic. I went to a board certified allergist who then told me I was not allergic, but had reaction to the mold, but there was no testing to be done to prove the mold caused my problem. I have been put of the building for 4 months and no longer have any symptoms.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.


Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.