Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Rebekkah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I live in an apartment and I have lived here for almost 3 years. About 3 months ago I noticed a water stain under my sink, and I notified the manager. The maintenance guy came but couldn't find any leak, so he didn't do anything. I started having a runny nose and a strange feeling in my hands. Also my skin feels like it always has soap on it (slimy), and my hair is falling out more than usual. On 8/25/14 I couldn't sleep so I was cleaning in my kitchen. I moved some stuff and found black mold on the wall and on the floor under the counter beneath the sink.

Comment from: Barbara J., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My son has had to stay home from school almost every other week for the last few months. Last week, he said that he needed to go home (from school) because he wasn't feeling well. That evening he had 102.7 fever. Early this week, he started showing cold/allergy symptoms and again has been home for the last couple of days. I was helping him pack his backpack this morning and noticed a foul smell; he had an old lunch or two that rotted in his backpack, who knows for how long. This is not the first time this has happened. I removed everything (binders, notebooks, etc.) and wiped them down with a Lysol wipe, then replaced the backpack. I started to look into effects of mold and found that mold exposure causes respiratory type illnesses and fevers. My son has had these type of things forever, all unexplainable. I might have found the culprit. His symptoms only last for a day, or two. I've had to replace his backpack five times in the last couple of years due to the same problem. No more lunches or snacks (bananas, sandwiches, etc.) in his backpack from now on, until he is capable of removing them after school.

Comment from: Beader, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

Two years ago, there were nodules present in a CT scan, but I was not told at the time. In the first part of November, I had to go the same E.R. for shortness of breath and coughing, hands and legs and ankles swelling. This time I was told of the nodules. In two years they had grown from a 5mm to a 13mm in size. They did a P.E.T. scan and it showed positive for solution going into the nodules. There was another nodule behind my heart and multiple others, smaller in size. The doctor wasn't sure if it was Cancer or not, so he de did the biopsy and it turned out to be BLACK MOLD POISIONING! So, he had to remove my lower lobe of my lung and go into my throat and behind my heart and then remove that one and then get the rest. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS! I knew my basement was wet and did all kinds of stuff to stop it, but just NOW finally stopped it after living in the mold for eleven years. PLEASE, if your house smells musty and your basement gets wet. Go to extreme measures to get the problem solved. This was a very scary and PAINFUL surgery. I am doing very good and hope to be released to go back to work next week! Praise the Lord!

Comment from: Tonya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My daughter believes mold is in her car. She is throwing up blood. I wonder if that could be a side effect. She went to the doctor last week, she was blowing her nose and blood came out. She was treated for sinus congestion.

Comment from: sissiso, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was exposed to black mold after my septic tank backed up. After using Clorox by the gallons for months, I moved while another home was built. It has been 6 years and my sinus issues have worsened in the last 3 years. I know my son's smoking has added to the problem, however the main issue now are holes in my nasal cavities and I will see an ENT and head surgeon this week. This is a miserable condition. I can smell mold and the smell of smoke drives me crazy. I am hoping they do not find cancer, since there is a large amount of blood in my nose all the time.

Comment from: jessy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

My apartment recently flooded. My landlord slowed around in the cleanup and they put in new carpet. It's been 2 months and now I'm having trouble sleeping, I have a cough and I had a cold I just couldn't seem to shake for about a month. I have a fever at the moment and I've started getting headaches. I suspect it is mold.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?