Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 21

I have been experiencing flu like symptoms along with a condition which can only be described as a chronic croup cough. I am constantly congested and I have shortness of breath. Post nasal drip, burning in my nostrils, burning in my throat and upper chest, watery eyes and chronic fatigue which is beyond what I normally feel due to my underlying condition of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). My doctor has treated my symptoms with antibiotics and steroid inhalation devises. I have been experiencing the above symptoms since I began working in a home that was discovered to be contaminated with mold. The renter of the property where I work has been tested with T2 toxin and 3 other types of toxin due to mold exposure. I cannot afford that test. I am going back to my doctor to find out if I can be tested for my prolonged exposure to mold.

Comment from: Esp3ranza89, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 29

So I need some other opinions before I go to the doctor. I was just recently laid off of work so I was not home until the evening. Now that I am not working I am home often, and since I been home I have been really sick on and off. It's getting to its worst because now my ears are constantly feeling like they're burning, my lips are so red, and I am constantly coughing to the point I'm also regurgitating. I am constantly getting very stuffy and my nose gets really itchy. I am suspecting it's a reaction from mold exposure because the townhouse next door was once occupied by myself and my family. We left due to mold being in the house and moved to where I am now. This is the first time I am experiencing this in about 4 months that we have moved here.

Comment from: Rebekkah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I live in an apartment and I have lived here for almost 3 years. About 3 months ago I noticed a water stain under my sink, and I notified the manager. The maintenance guy came but couldn't find any leak, so he didn't do anything. I started having a runny nose and a strange feeling in my hands. Also my skin feels like it always has soap on it (slimy), and my hair is falling out more than usual. On 8/25/14 I couldn't sleep so I was cleaning in my kitchen. I moved some stuff and found black mold on the wall and on the floor under the counter beneath the sink.

Comment from: Barbara J., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My son has had to stay home from school almost every other week for the last few months. Last week, he said that he needed to go home (from school) because he wasn't feeling well. That evening he had 102.7 fever. Early this week, he started showing cold/allergy symptoms and again has been home for the last couple of days. I was helping him pack his backpack this morning and noticed a foul smell; he had an old lunch or two that rotted in his backpack, who knows for how long. This is not the first time this has happened. I removed everything (binders, notebooks, etc.) and wiped them down with a Lysol wipe, then replaced the backpack. I started to look into effects of mold and found that mold exposure causes respiratory type illnesses and fevers. My son has had these type of things forever, all unexplainable. I might have found the culprit. His symptoms only last for a day, or two. I've had to replace his backpack five times in the last couple of years due to the same problem. No more lunches or snacks (bananas, sandwiches, etc.) in his backpack from now on, until he is capable of removing them after school.

Comment from: Beader, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

Two years ago, there were nodules present in a CT scan, but I was not told at the time. In the first part of November, I had to go the same E.R. for shortness of breath and coughing, hands and legs and ankles swelling. This time I was told of the nodules. In two years they had grown from a 5mm to a 13mm in size. They did a P.E.T. scan and it showed positive for solution going into the nodules. There was another nodule behind my heart and multiple others, smaller in size. The doctor wasn't sure if it was Cancer or not, so he de did the biopsy and it turned out to be BLACK MOLD POISIONING! So, he had to remove my lower lobe of my lung and go into my throat and behind my heart and then remove that one and then get the rest. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS! I knew my basement was wet and did all kinds of stuff to stop it, but just NOW finally stopped it after living in the mold for eleven years. PLEASE, if your house smells musty and your basement gets wet. Go to extreme measures to get the problem solved. This was a very scary and PAINFUL surgery. I am doing very good and hope to be released to go back to work next week! Praise the Lord!

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?