Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: gigi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

When visiting St Louis just weeks ago, I experienced severe swelling of the hands and feets and hives on my legs and arms. I have some allergies here in Colorado, but nothing has ever happened to me like this. Watching the local news, the mold count was very high and now I'm worrying if this was my trouble. Upon returning to Colorado I haven't had any problems.

Comment from: smooter76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just found a large amount of black mold in my bathroom while having it remodeled. Therefore I started reading about symptoms and found this site. My entire family has very bad outdoor allergies so it is hard for me to know if we have any symptoms due to the mold or not. I have only lived in this house for about 8 months so the exposure hasn't been too long.

Comment from: mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I found out 3 months ago that the people who sold me my house never disclosed that there had been a sewerage backup in the house from city sewers and they also never had it cleaned up properly, leaving the sewerage in the walls and under the floors. Then they sold the house to me, I am having some symptoms associated with breathing in mold. I had air tests done and the results were bad very elevated levels of 3 different forms of mold. My attorney tells me I am not entitled to anything for emotional distress or damages, I have had to move out because the house is now classified as unlivable. How can these people get away with this!!!! This is wrong.

Comment from: kathleen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

I'm usually a healthy forty year old female. In the last few months I've been having shortness of breath, headaches, pain in my neck and shoulders, and heart palpitations, and my skin is itchy. Sometimes I would get dizzy and my chest would feel heavy I thought I was having a heart attack or something. I couldn't find what was giving me so many problems. The other day I was cleaning my memory foam mattress and found a lot of black mold. And reading the testimonies on this site I think I found the source of my problems. Thank you for sharing!

Comment from: Guinea pig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had been 2 weeks in hospital for surgery. During this time the drought broke and it rained nonstop. By the time of my discharge it had stopped. About a week later I noticed that I was getting a kind of cold, but it wasn't a cold. Sneezing, running nose and a pain in my nose and sinus to cause me to take to my bed. I tried aspirin and other cold remedies but nothing worked. Eventually I found the culprit. It was a patch of mould on the ceiling in the study. I had to shut the door and restrict myself from entering that room. The symptoms persisted. I had a think about it and decided that it called for drastic action. But in the meantime I tried my friend's advice she had given me in the past when I found I was infected with thrush. She advised me to eat some yoghurt. Well I tried it and it worked. The symptoms stopped. All except the dry cough. However I noticed that if I run out of yoghurt the other symptoms return.

Comment from: TWTras, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

We have been experiencing chest heaviness, sore throat, headache, running nose, sneezing, and body aches. In addition, I have been having heart palpitations and my son says he's been feeling dizzy and often feels like passing out. We thought we were just catching a cold, but we started to notice a thin layer of mold growing on our stuff in the garage. The dryer vent leads into the garage, and our rooms are directly above it. Our symptoms have never really gone away but only have gotten worse. Now I know, after reading the information on your site that we are breathing in mold and need to kill the source.

Comment from: Sandy B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I was running a fever along with a very dry cough. I had a severe reaction where my throat closed, so I took Benadryl. The doctor surprised me and told me that with my history of mold allergy that I had a snow mold allergy. I had never heard of this. He gave me two Epi-pens and told me to go to an allergist. Wow, at 72, I did not to hear this. He told me there is mold under the snow, leaves etc. So now it's back for shots. I'm happy he found the cause though.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?