Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Katz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I recently moved into a new apartment and had a leak under the sink in the kitchen. They fixed the leak only to find that it still leaked. Finally it is fixed and I can still smell the scent of water. I have been having severe headaches and aches all over my body. I had a series of blood tests and nothing but high B 12 in my blood.

Comment from: Breathless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

In an effort to clean a relative's home, I found that every visit there left me wheezing, coughing, and even breathless with itchy watery eyes. I thought it was a reaction to dust, so I always sprayed Lysol, wore gloves and a mask. This did not help. My doctor said I had allergies, but I had not had allergies before. Then one day, my brother noticed that the ceiling in the living room had water pockets with small holes. He said, 'I bet there's mold in that ceiling and that's what is making you sick.' I knew he was correct because there was a roof leak and the ceiling had been that way for a while. I checked various articles on the effects of exposure to household mold and discovered that my symptoms were classic. I should also add that the relative who lives in the house suffers from upper respiratory ailments and frequently uses albuterol in a breathing machine.

Comment from: Tammy Diane, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have been a caregiver in a home that was flooded 2 years ago. I get sick every time I go to that house, sore throat, difficulties breathing, bad nasal issues, and my body has started shaking, and I have hair loss. I am concerned there is black mold growing in the house.

Comment from: stuart, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I lived in this block for a year and knew nothing of mold when I moved here. My son and I have been ill on an off the whole time we have lived here. To start with, we found a strip of mold in the cupboard and treated it and thought that was the end of it. Two days ago I saw a small damp patch on the bathroom linoleum and investigated. It turns out that the whole bathroom floor, every inch of it was thick with black mold under the linoleum; may be a slow leak somewhere did it. I have killed all the mold now and cleaned the floor right back to the concrete. I feel so flipping ill right now the last two weeks my whole body is a mess. I have no energy, head ache, it hurts to urinate and I have dizziness bad lungs. My little boy is throwing up, but he is not as bad I think, because we swapped bedrooms. I want to move soon and find a place in the countryside for a few months. Mold is bad news; find it and destroy it.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 21

I have been experiencing flu like symptoms along with a condition which can only be described as a chronic croup cough. I am constantly congested and I have shortness of breath. Post nasal drip, burning in my nostrils, burning in my throat and upper chest, watery eyes and chronic fatigue which is beyond what I normally feel due to my underlying condition of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). My doctor has treated my symptoms with antibiotics and steroid inhalation devises. I have been experiencing the above symptoms since I began working in a home that was discovered to be contaminated with mold. The renter of the property where I work has been tested with T2 toxin and 3 other types of toxin due to mold exposure. I cannot afford that test. I am going back to my doctor to find out if I can be tested for my prolonged exposure to mold.

Comment from: Esp3ranza89, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 29

So I need some other opinions before I go to the doctor. I was just recently laid off of work so I was not home until the evening. Now that I am not working I am home often, and since I been home I have been really sick on and off. It's getting to its worst because now my ears are constantly feeling like they're burning, my lips are so red, and I am constantly coughing to the point I'm also regurgitating. I am constantly getting very stuffy and my nose gets really itchy. I am suspecting it's a reaction from mold exposure because the townhouse next door was once occupied by myself and my family. We left due to mold being in the house and moved to where I am now. This is the first time I am experiencing this in about 4 months that we have moved here.

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?