Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Tammy Diane, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

I have been a caregiver in a home that was flooded 2 years ago. I get sick every time I go to that house, sore throat, difficulties breathing, bad nasal issues, and my body has started shaking, and I have hair loss. I am concerned there is black mold growing in the house.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: stuart, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I lived in this block for a year and knew nothing of mold when I moved here. My son and I have been ill on an off the whole time we have lived here. To start with, we found a strip of mold in the cupboard and treated it and thought that was the end of it. Two days ago I saw a small damp patch on the bathroom linoleum and investigated. It turns out that the whole bathroom floor, every inch of it was thick with black mold under the linoleum; may be a slow leak somewhere did it. I have killed all the mold now and cleaned the floor right back to the concrete. I feel so flipping ill right now the last two weeks my whole body is a mess. I have no energy, head ache, it hurts to urinate and I have dizziness bad lungs. My little boy is throwing up, but he is not as bad I think, because we swapped bedrooms. I want to move soon and find a place in the countryside for a few months. Mold is bad news; find it and destroy it.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 21

I have been experiencing flu like symptoms along with a condition which can only be described as a chronic croup cough. I am constantly congested and I have shortness of breath. Post nasal drip, burning in my nostrils, burning in my throat and upper chest, watery eyes and chronic fatigue which is beyond what I normally feel due to my underlying condition of SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). My doctor has treated my symptoms with antibiotics and steroid inhalation devises. I have been experiencing the above symptoms since I began working in a home that was discovered to be contaminated with mold. The renter of the property where I work has been tested with T2 toxin and 3 other types of toxin due to mold exposure. I cannot afford that test. I am going back to my doctor to find out if I can be tested for my prolonged exposure to mold.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Esp3ranza89, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 29

So I need some other opinions before I go to the doctor. I was just recently laid off of work so I was not home until the evening. Now that I am not working I am home often, and since I been home I have been really sick on and off. It's getting to its worst because now my ears are constantly feeling like they're burning, my lips are so red, and I am constantly coughing to the point I'm also regurgitating. I am constantly getting very stuffy and my nose gets really itchy. I am suspecting it's a reaction from mold exposure because the townhouse next door was once occupied by myself and my family. We left due to mold being in the house and moved to where I am now. This is the first time I am experiencing this in about 4 months that we have moved here.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Rebekkah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I live in an apartment and I have lived here for almost 3 years. About 3 months ago I noticed a water stain under my sink, and I notified the manager. The maintenance guy came but couldn't find any leak, so he didn't do anything. I started having a runny nose and a strange feeling in my hands. Also my skin feels like it always has soap on it (slimy), and my hair is falling out more than usual. On 8/25/14 I couldn't sleep so I was cleaning in my kitchen. I moved some stuff and found black mold on the wall and on the floor under the counter beneath the sink.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Barbara J., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

My son has had to stay home from school almost every other week for the last few months. Last week, he said that he needed to go home (from school) because he wasn't feeling well. That evening he had 102.7 fever. Early this week, he started showing cold/allergy symptoms and again has been home for the last couple of days. I was helping him pack his backpack this morning and noticed a foul smell; he had an old lunch or two that rotted in his backpack, who knows for how long. This is not the first time this has happened. I removed everything (binders, notebooks, etc.) and wiped them down with a Lysol wipe, then replaced the backpack. I started to look into effects of mold and found that mold exposure causes respiratory type illnesses and fevers. My son has had these type of things forever, all unexplainable. I might have found the culprit. His symptoms only last for a day, or two. I've had to replace his backpack five times in the last couple of years due to the same problem. No more lunches or snacks (bananas, sandwiches, etc.) in his backpack from now on, until he is capable of removing them after school.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Mold - Location in Home Question: Describe where you found mold in your home.
Mold - Prevention Question: What do you do to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.