Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: sickofmoldinalabama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

We discovered black and green mold in the window sills and along the walls of our apartment. I would wake up at night having trouble breathing, leg cramps, with nose bleeds. Our landlord claims the mold was not harmful and when I called the health department and county building inspectors they told me to get a lawyer. We contacted several lawyers but they said that it was a long shot getting any legal action since there are no real regulations at this point. We need regulations/laws to protect people from this terrible health hazard. Don't rent apartment until you look closely!

Comment from: Lillian, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

A family member lives in a 60 year old cement block house that has been vinyl sided. Evidence of a moldy green/black substance was visible on the blocks all around the house in some areas as high as 2 feet. The moldy substance is again visible on the siding over much larger areas. There is a musty moldy smell in the house at all times and is present on their clothing especially noticeable when they come to visit. Numerous almost continuous health issues are present in all household members including sore throat scratchy throat coughing with phlegm, runny nose and respiratory congestion.

Comment from: need to breathe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Oh my, I have had allergies through the years and upon occasion had to use Albuterol, and medication. In January of 2010, I became severe. Steroids, Advair, Albuterol, and a Nebulizer. In March 2010, it was discovered I had a water leak between my master bath and living room walls upon knock down, 4 1/2 to 5 foot high of mold, some black. My home repaired, but needless to say, my health has deteriorated and continue to use daily treatments, less the steroids. The mold was there for some time. My quality of life has been severely inhibited to even perform simple tasks.

Comment from: pomp7122, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with a lump in my right lung middle lobe last Nov 14 and by Nov 25th I had major surgery to remove the complete middle lobe. Two week later, when the results came back, I was told I had a "mold spore" that have lodged and grown to the size of a golf ball. I asked and was told I could have breathed it in anywhere.

Comment from: Mackenna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

We bought a new house 5 years ago, had an expensive humidifier installed. We paid a maintenance fee so that we had 2 inspections a year of the system. Over the past 3 years I have developed skin rashes, muscle pain in the shoulder and neck area, cough, and many urinary tract infections, breathing problems, a general feeling of being poisoned. I am allergic to mold The outcome was the humidifier had never been serviced and when it was finally done, it was full of slimy water, mold, rust..And I would assume bacteria. The sensor had stuck so the humidifier kept going, and this rubbish kept circulating through the house. The excuse from the company is that cleaning the humidifier wasn't included in the maintenance fee. Nobody told us about that we were told the fee covered the whole system. So if anyone out there is having allergy problems please get your humidifier on your furnace checked, mold is a very serious allergy. I learned one thing we will never have a humidifier on our furnace, I shall buy one that I can control and check.

Comment from: Edd, 65-74 Female Published: December 28

After having a gas heater (hangs on wall) installed because my floor furnace no longer could be used because of a crack in it. My windows have had water just running down them on to the window sills and I have mold forming on sills and the sheet rock on walls. I have cleaned this off with chlorox cleanup but the problem returns.

Comment from: reeree, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My house has had a musty/mildew smell for the past several months. I noticed last month that black stuff is growing around the A/C vents on the ceilings. I have seasonal allergies and bronchial asthma when my allergies are acting up. When I am in my house my eyes tear up, my lungs close up, I sniffle and my nose gets stopped up.

Comment from: EMG, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

After two weeks of having a Christmas tree in the house my daughter has been coughing and wheezing. She suffers from seasonal allergies. So I kicked that tree to the curb never again will I have a moldy dead tree in my house.

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Mold - Where Can it be Found? Question: Describe where in your home mold was discovered.
Mold - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.