Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: meangreenpittsburgh, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I am currently living in a building that has black mold growing on the walls at an alarming rate. I was on the Channel 11 news hoping that someone will listen. I am taking business and green construction classes. It is a shame that innocent children are exposed to this. People have got to understand that our houses can make us very ill. I am on a personal crusade to right this wrong!

Comment from: Kerritent, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Between 2003 and 2005, I had weekly allergy shots for mold, among other allergens. Soon after, I moved from Washington State to Fresno, CA. My allergies have been somewhat manageable until five days ago when I moved into my newly-constructed home. Not present before, the mold suddenly appeared in areas through the house along the baseboard and edge of the carpet. The builder has brought in a specialist; they have sealed off one bedroom and have been running a dehumidifier the past two days. I have been sleeping in my home the past five nights among the mold. Meanwhile, I am beginning to experience allergy symptoms of runny nose, irritated throat (hoarse voice), sinus pressure and headache, and my right eye is showing signs of allergic conjunctivitis that I have had twice previously. I have made an appointment to see my doctor this afternoon.

Published: October 23

Mold is definitely no joke. My child got very sick from it. Luckily we caught it. Once we realized her sickness was from mold we got it taken care of and she's fine now.

Comment from: Sheila *, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

After repeatidly coming down with bronchitis, I finally was seen by an allergist. My top allergy was mold. I am taking medication daily throughout the year, and usually don't have any problems unless I forget my meds. For years I have had my hands break out and the skin actully splits open to painfully sore fingers and hands. Last year I finally put it together and realized I had touched the mold/mildew in our basement and did not wash my hands right afterwards. I told my allergist and he said you really are allergic to mold. So take precautions.

Comment from: Helpless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I worked in an environment for 6 years where mold was in the walls and ceiling. Although we were told no mold existed, I continuously had chronic sinusitis. I took Singulair and Claritin D along with steroidal nose spray. My lymph nodes were enlarged and had chronic malaise. Finally, the mold began growing out of the walls. I went to an ENT who gave me antibiotics which never cured the sinusitis and he finally referred me to an allergist. The allergist gave me allergy tests and me and said I was allergic. I went to another ENT who gave me allergy test and said I was not allergic. I went to a board certified allergist who then told me I was not allergic, but had reaction to the mold, but there was no testing to be done to prove the mold caused my problem. I have been put of the building for 4 months and no longer have any symptoms.

Comment from: Teaching in Mold, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I work as an Instructor on Wednesday nights. Every week, I get terribly sick. It starts with a very raw-like sore throat, followed by chest pains, flu-like symptoms, and general malaise. I KNOW its mold in that old building.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

After seeing numerous physicans, it was clear that many were dismissive or had little understanding of my health problems. I was referred to the mold treatment centers of America by the national mold resource center...and they gave me the testing and treatment that I had so desperately been looking for. I wish I had not had to suffer from mold sickness for so long, but I am glad I found a solution.

Comment from: Lizajane555, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

We rented a house that ended up having several types of mold. I immediately started coughing heavily at night and my boyfriend who has asthma became very ill. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months after being exposed to the mold. I would like to know if there is a strong chance that the mold caused the dysfunction of my thyroid.

Comment from: ayannailene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have burning, cloudy eyes with extreme headaches. My arms and legs take turns radiating with a burning sensation. My breathing is shallow. My back burns so bad it brings tears to my eyes. My skin has white patches on chest and back and shoulders. Last but not least, my fingers, wrist and toes cramp and feel stiff. It's so hard to find help without insurance.

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Mold - Where Can it be Found? Question: Describe where in your home mold was discovered.
Mold - Prevention Question: What steps do you take to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Do you have any tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.