Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: Kerritent, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Between 2003 and 2005, I had weekly allergy shots for mold, among other allergens. Soon after, I moved from Washington State to Fresno, CA. My allergies have been somewhat manageable until five days ago when I moved into my newly-constructed home. Not present before, the mold suddenly appeared in areas through the house along the baseboard and edge of the carpet. The builder has brought in a specialist; they have sealed off one bedroom and have been running a dehumidifier the past two days. I have been sleeping in my home the past five nights among the mold. Meanwhile, I am beginning to experience allergy symptoms of runny nose, irritated throat (hoarse voice), sinus pressure and headache, and my right eye is showing signs of allergic conjunctivitis that I have had twice previously. I have made an appointment to see my doctor this afternoon.

Published: October 23

Mold is definitely no joke. My child got very sick from it. Luckily we caught it. Once we realized her sickness was from mold we got it taken care of and she's fine now.

Comment from: Sheila *, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

After repeatidly coming down with bronchitis, I finally was seen by an allergist. My top allergy was mold. I am taking medication daily throughout the year, and usually don't have any problems unless I forget my meds. For years I have had my hands break out and the skin actully splits open to painfully sore fingers and hands. Last year I finally put it together and realized I had touched the mold/mildew in our basement and did not wash my hands right afterwards. I told my allergist and he said you really are allergic to mold. So take precautions.

Comment from: Helpless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I worked in an environment for 6 years where mold was in the walls and ceiling. Although we were told no mold existed, I continuously had chronic sinusitis. I took Singulair and Claritin D along with steroidal nose spray. My lymph nodes were enlarged and had chronic malaise. Finally, the mold began growing out of the walls. I went to an ENT who gave me antibiotics which never cured the sinusitis and he finally referred me to an allergist. The allergist gave me allergy tests and me and said I was allergic. I went to another ENT who gave me allergy test and said I was not allergic. I went to a board certified allergist who then told me I was not allergic, but had reaction to the mold, but there was no testing to be done to prove the mold caused my problem. I have been put of the building for 4 months and no longer have any symptoms.

Comment from: Teaching in Mold, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I work as an Instructor on Wednesday nights. Every week, I get terribly sick. It starts with a very raw-like sore throat, followed by chest pains, flu-like symptoms, and general malaise. I KNOW its mold in that old building.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

After seeing numerous physicans, it was clear that many were dismissive or had little understanding of my health problems. I was referred to the mold treatment centers of America by the national mold resource center...and they gave me the testing and treatment that I had so desperately been looking for. I wish I had not had to suffer from mold sickness for so long, but I am glad I found a solution.

Comment from: Lizajane555, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

We rented a house that ended up having several types of mold. I immediately started coughing heavily at night and my boyfriend who has asthma became very ill. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months after being exposed to the mold. I would like to know if there is a strong chance that the mold caused the dysfunction of my thyroid.

Comment from: ayannailene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have burning, cloudy eyes with extreme headaches. My arms and legs take turns radiating with a burning sensation. My breathing is shallow. My back burns so bad it brings tears to my eyes. My skin has white patches on chest and back and shoulders. Last but not least, my fingers, wrist and toes cramp and feel stiff. It's so hard to find help without insurance.

Comment from: sickofmoldinalabama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

We discovered black and green mold in the window sills and along the walls of our apartment. I would wake up at night having trouble breathing, leg cramps, with nose bleeds. Our landlord claims the mold was not harmful and when I called the health department and county building inspectors they told me to get a lawyer. We contacted several lawyers but they said that it was a long shot getting any legal action since there are no real regulations at this point. We need regulations/laws to protect people from this terrible health hazard. Don't rent apartment until you look closely!

Mold - Were Can it be Found? Question: Describe where in your home mold was discovered.
Mold - Prevention Question: How do you try to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Please provide tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold.