Patient Comments: Mold - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with mold.

Comment from: smooter76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I just found a large amount of black mold in my bathroom while having it remodeled. Therefore I started reading about symptoms and found this site. My entire family has very bad outdoor allergies so it is hard for me to know if we have any symptoms due to the mold or not. I have only lived in this house for about 8 months so the exposure hasn't been too long.

Comment from: beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I bought a home about six months ago. Lately, I have been feeling like I have a constant cold, sore throat, headache, fever, chills, body aches, etc. I just started going through some boxes that I had stored in my basement. I noticed a white, powdery substance on a rug and the same on a box of boots is the same area. I looked above the area and notice that part of the ceiling was covered with a pressed board. when I pulled some of this down, I noticed mold. I believe this is the main source and that there was water damage in the basement before I purchased the home. I am convinced this is the reason for my ailments and will begin cleanup. Hopefully, I will begin to feel better and the damage to my health is reversible.

Comment from: kathleen, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

I'm usually a healthy forty year old female. In the last few months I've been having shortness of breath, headaches, pain in my neck and shoulders, and heart palpitations, and my skin is itchy. Sometimes I would get dizzy and my chest would feel heavy I thought I was having a heart attack or something. I couldn't find what was giving me so many problems. The other day I was cleaning my memory foam mattress and found a lot of black mold. And reading the testimonies on this site I think I found the source of my problems. Thank you for sharing!

Comment from: Guinea pig, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had been 2 weeks in hospital for surgery. During this time the drought broke and it rained nonstop. By the time of my discharge it had stopped. About a week later I noticed that I was getting a kind of cold, but it wasn't a cold. Sneezing, running nose and a pain in my nose and sinus to cause me to take to my bed. I tried aspirin and other cold remedies but nothing worked. Eventually I found the culprit. It was a patch of mould on the ceiling in the study. I had to shut the door and restrict myself from entering that room. The symptoms persisted. I had a think about it and decided that it called for drastic action. But in the meantime I tried my friend's advice she had given me in the past when I found I was infected with thrush. She advised me to eat some yoghurt. Well I tried it and it worked. The symptoms stopped. All except the dry cough. However I noticed that if I run out of yoghurt the other symptoms return.

Comment from: TWTras, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

We have been experiencing chest heaviness, sore throat, headache, running nose, sneezing, and body aches. In addition, I have been having heart palpitations and my son says he's been feeling dizzy and often feels like passing out. We thought we were just catching a cold, but we started to notice a thin layer of mold growing on our stuff in the garage. The dryer vent leads into the garage, and our rooms are directly above it. Our symptoms have never really gone away but only have gotten worse. Now I know, after reading the information on your site that we are breathing in mold and need to kill the source.

Comment from: Sandy B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I was running a fever along with a very dry cough. I had a severe reaction where my throat closed, so I took Benadryl. The doctor surprised me and told me that with my history of mold allergy that I had a snow mold allergy. I had never heard of this. He gave me two Epi-pens and told me to go to an allergist. Wow, at 72, I did not to hear this. He told me there is mold under the snow, leaves etc. So now it's back for shots. I'm happy he found the cause though.

Comment from: Nestkeeper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

A long-standing plumbing leak was not discovered until after an abundance of mold growth had occurred in the area. Unaware of the mold growth, I had developed an array of allergic reactions. I broke out in hives over my entire torso. My feet and arms were itchy as well. My eyes watered, and I began to have difficulty breathing in that I would cough, wheeze, and not be able to draw in and exhale enough oxygen. A friend commented that there was a "moldy" odor in the living room on and off. That began our search for mold, which we discovered in the kitchen behind the sink, up high and partially obscured by the sink underside itself. Meanwhile, the asthmatic symptoms increased to the point where I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room for IV steroids and albuterol inhalation therapy. I was discharged home in better shape, with oral steroids to take over a period of 7 days, and a rescue inhaler for breathing events. Scary experience. I immediately called a mold remediation company and had the mold professionally removed. None of my symptoms recurred. However, I seem to be more sensitive reactively to mold than I was before. A brief exposure will now cause enough symptoms to make me sit up and take notice.

Mold - Were Can it be Found? Question: Describe where in your home mold was discovered.
Mold - Prevention Question: How do you try to prevent mold in your home?
Mold - Cleaning Up Question: Please provide tips for cleaning up or eliminating mold.