Patient Comments: Mohs Surgery - Scars

Did your surgery result in a scar? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: missm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Yes, I definitely have a scar from my surgery. I had Mohs surgery on the right side of my face. It was a brown spot the size of a quarter. I had had it for years. I went to my dermatologist and asked him to check it, he took 3 biopsies, and asked me for another one 2 weeks later because it looked suspicious. Well, it was squamous cell melanoma, and my doctor sent me to a specialist for Mohs. I ended up having the flap along with more than 75 stitches; the nurse lost count. On top of that my hairline has changed. What used to be my sideburns are now beside my eye; I have to keep it shaved. The scar is in the shape of a V about 8 inches overall. I had 2 laser treatments that couldn't possibly take care of a scar this big and insurance didn't pay anymore. So it's been 2 years and it stings, itches and yet it feels numb too.

Comment from: Red, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I had Mohs surgery about three months ago to remove a small basal cell carcinoma from my face. I had to go through three stages and it took 3 1/2 hours. I could hear every snip of my skin and smell my flesh burning between every stage as they cauterized my skin. I wasn't able to stay for the repair, so I have a hypertrophic scar between my nose and upper lip that will be a constant reminder of my Mohs surgery experience. Since the wound has healed, my insurance now considers it cosmetic and won't pay for plastic surgery to correct it. Without the repair, my total bill was still over USD 10,000. After the surgery, I was told that there is such a high chance that the cancer will return that I have to go in to have the wound checked every six months for the rest of my life. Personally, I would never go through Mohs surgery again; I think it is barbaric and a huge rip-off. I wish I had found a plastic surgeon that would have removed my cancer with a simple excision and then sewn up the wound. I could get rid of my ex-husband, but I will never get rid of this ugly, painful scar.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I recently had Mohs surgery for a very tiny basal cell carcinoma. Even during the procedure, which only needed two passes, the physician's assistant told me the cancer wasn't at all wide. However, they sent me home for two hours after the second pass because the office was closing for lunch and the surgeon didn't have time to close the wound until afterwards. When I came back, he barely re-numbed the skin, hastily cut away to make an oval, and stitched a huge 1 1/2 inch line down the side of my face. The upper corner is all lumpy and twisted. This is for a barely 1/8 inch non-life threatening superficial spot on my face. I don't go out unless I have huge sunglasses or a ton of makeup. My husband is grossed out by the hideous scar. I wish I were dead.

Comment from: Jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

This is week 10 after having Mohs procedure done. The doctor left me with an open wound on my back, about a half inch deep and about a 3 inch diameter. I was told leaving the wound open was better than having it sutured. Wrong! Sutures would have been removed in 10 days or so. I still have about a one inch open wound and the pain and drainage continue. All of this for a small basal cell carcinoma. Before anyone even thinks of letting a doctor do this to them, look for an alternative procedure.

Comment from: nanindc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had Mohs surgery almost a month ago on the tip of my nose. The surgeon got all the basal cell carcinoma in one cut. I went to a plastic surgeon the next day and since it was fairly small he just stitched it up. After the stitches were taken out, the wound opened up a little bit so the surgeon put in a couple of stitches to close it. It has now been two weeks since then and those two stitches are out. The scar looks pretty good straight on but my profile needs to improve. Right above the stitches is a bump. I will start massaging it with coconut oil next week. I am hoping that time, massaging and silicone sheeting will improve the bump. Most people don't even notice it, but of course, I do.

Mohs Surgery - Experience Question: Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.
Mohs Surgery - Recovery Time Question: What was the recovery time for your Mohs procedure?