Patient Comments: Mohs Surgery - Scars

Did your surgery result in a scar? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

This is week 10 after having Mohs procedure done. The doctor left me with an open wound on my back, about a half inch deep and about a 3 inch diameter. I was told leaving the wound open was better than having it sutured. Wrong! Sutures would have been removed in 10 days or so. I still have about a one inch open wound and the pain and drainage continue. All of this for a small basal cell carcinoma. Before anyone even thinks of letting a doctor do this to them, look for an alternative procedure.

Comment from: nanindc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had Mohs surgery almost a month ago on the tip of my nose. The surgeon got all the basal cell carcinoma in one cut. I went to a plastic surgeon the next day and since it was fairly small he just stitched it up. After the stitches were taken out, the wound opened up a little bit so the surgeon put in a couple of stitches to close it. It has now been two weeks since then and those two stitches are out. The scar looks pretty good straight on but my profile needs to improve. Right above the stitches is a bump. I will start massaging it with coconut oil next week. I am hoping that time, massaging and silicone sheeting will improve the bump. Most people don't even notice it, but of course, I do.

Comment from: suesudeo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had Mohs surgery above my lip about one week ago. I had the stitches removed today and they asked me to look at the scar before the Steri-Strip was placed. I was surprised how big the scar was when the mole was small. I hope it shrinks and is less noticeable. I have to keep the Steri-Strip on for 3 weeks and see the doctor again in 2 weeks. The price really shocked me too! I'm kind of disappointed; I should've left it the way it was.

Comment from: Happy With Mohs!, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had Mohs surgery to remove a cancer on the right side of my nose, in the crease above my nostril. I had a great surgeon, who was very meticulous, leaving me with no scar! Mine must have been caught early, because I had no huge hole, just a small incision to remove the tissue and it healed perfectly! I'm scheduled to have more surgery on my shoulder and back next week and anticipate the same results! Getting checked often can ultimately result in minor surgery, before the cancers get too large, therefore causing a larger incision and scar.

Comment from: Finn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had Mohs surgery about a year and a half ago on the left side of my nose. The surgery took close to three hours. I wish I had done my homework before the surgery, but I just went with what the doctor said I needed. Surgeon was very good, I healed well, but would never opt for this procedure again; my cancer was a basal cell, slow growing. What was not told to me was the post operation recovery, and the fact that the skin removed from behind my ear and used for a skin graft had hair. Now I have hair growing on the side of my nose. My brother who had the same surgery on his nose has the same problem. Patients should be advised that this is a side effect!

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had basal skin cancer in the very corner of my right eye. I had 2nd level and the freezing throughout the day was painful. I also did not like the soldering. It took 15 stitches to close, I was given Tylenol 3 for pain but did not need them. It was very swollen for a few days but the scar looks really good one week post-surgery.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had Mohs surgery on my forehead close to my eyebrow 3.5 weeks ago. I have 2 deep, vertical, red scars that run parallel to one another and are about 2 inches long. All this for a superficial basal cell carcinoma. And just above my eyebrow a round raised bump. Granted it is only one month and of course healing takes time, but this is so unsightly. I knew I would have one scar but 2! I will never go through this again for a superficial basal cell, never.

Mohs Surgery - Experience Question: Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.
Mohs Surgery - Recovery Time Question: What was the recovery time for your Mohs procedure?