Patient Comments: Mohs Surgery - Experience

Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.

Comment from: patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had 2 Mohs surgeries and they were horrible. The 2nd one took 3 cuts to come back negative. It was on my nose. It was so deep that I had 2 skin grafts, one artificial skin and for the 2nd, they took skin from behind my ear. It has been a year and it is still red and very noticeable. Plastic surgeon did 5 laser treatments. Did not work. I wish I never had the surgery and found another less invasive way for treatment for basal cell cancer.

Comment from: nisi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

The whole procedure of Mohs surgery was no more traumatizing than a trip to the dentist office. I had no stitches, and I have had the wound under a Band-Aid (side of my nose) for two weeks now. It lightens up every day, and though I have very pale skin, I am not at all concerned that the scarring will be noticeable. I don't doubt that as a red-head I will be back for this procedure sometime again in the future, I will be as calm as the others I met in the waiting room. I will also pay close attention to any dots on my skin that seem not quite right, and get them looked at before they can develop any more than this one did. Best thing of all, I am overjoyed that my basal cell cancer is gone!

Comment from: Kagy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I had basal cell on left cheek midline between lower eye and upper lip. The doctor initially carved out a piece, about 1/4 inch long and circular for biopsy. After basal cell diagnosis, I went in for Mohs surgery. Shots to numb the area are always a pain and there were at least three, maybe a couple more. The doctor did his excision and sent to the lab. About 50 minutes later he returned and said he got it all. I assume he meant margins were clear. He closed with 6 to 8 stiches that run diagonal from under eye to lower cheek, probably 1 to 1/2 inches long. Pressure bandage was applied and I was sent on my way. Whole time in doctor's office was about 2 hours. I am scheduled for stich removal 7 days later. He will put Steri-Strips on at that time that I think will just fall off at some point. He gave me antibiotic to take for 5 days and Tylenol with codeine for pain. I have avoided the pain medicines so far (day 2 now). I removed the pressure bandage on day two and jury rigged Band-Aid to cover. I clean with hydrogen peroxide and put on Polysporin. I will need to get new Band-Aids that I can trim to fit the wound area since it is in an odd space in an odd direction. No smoking or drinking beer (boo) for 7 days post-surgery. Keep site dry for first 48 hours. Follow-up with the doctor for regular check in 6 months. My wife had one on her nose earlier this year and it was squamous and Mohs took four hours so I am happy about my process so far. Will see how next two weeks roll out.

Comment from: Red, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had Mohs surgery to remove a small basal cell carcinoma that was between my nose and upper lip. It took 3 1/2 hours and three passes to remove the cancer. At that point, I was ready to leave and did not stay for the repair that is normally done to 'put your face back together,' as the physician's assistant said to me. The numbing shots were extremely painful and I could smell them cauterizing my skin, and could hear them snipping bits of my face away with what sounded like nail clippers. (I was waiting for the water boarding to start.) So, while I do not have cancer, I have a huge, painful hypertrophic scar in the middle of my face. Without the repair, my procedure still cost almost USD 10,000. I wish I had done my homework and not settled for Mohs surgery. I wish I would have found someone to remove it with a simple excision and use sutures to close the wound. I know other people have good results, but my Mohs surgery experience was a disaster.

Comment from: Wade, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 05

Unfortunately the doctor did not tell me to stay calm and keep my head up with little strain. I did the exact opposite and strained at a project on my knees with head down the day after my Mohs surgery. Don't do that. One side of the cut puffed up significantly and the following day it was very bruised looking all around the cut. I saw what looked like some dried blood in my mustache which was two inches from the cut. Two days later that turned into a mark about an inch wide that went halfway down my throat. So far (fifth day) I feel ok but am not inclined to much activity. This showed up bad on New Year's Day and now it is the weekend so the doctor is problematic.

Mohs Surgery - Scars Question: Did your surgery result in a scar? Please describe your experience.
Mohs Surgery - Recovery Time Question: What was the recovery time for your Mohs procedure?