Patient Comments: Mohs Surgery - Experience

Did you undergo Mohs surgery? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I had Mohs surgery for a basal cell cancer on my lower left eyelid and had a plastic surgeon do the closure the day after Mohs. It has been three weeks and I'm very happy with the results. I was nervous before the surgery because it was so close to my eye but it actually was not that bad.

Comment from: sunny San Diego, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have recently had 2 Mohs surgeries. One was 3 months ago for a basal cell cancer on the bridge of my nose and the second surgery was 4 days ago on my forehead. Both times I had significant swelling and bruising around my eyes. I have a high tolerance for pain and was not given any pain medications either time. The surgery on my nose was extremely painful and I really could have used at least 2 pain pills. I wear glasses and the swelling was so bad that I couldn't wear my glasses, thus wasn't able to work for 3 days after each surgery. Despite my application of ice packs for 15 minutes every hour the swelling was totally out of control. I have had several basal cell and squamous cell cancers removed without Mohs surgery and never had this much pain and swelling. I am hoping that I don't need to have Mohs again.

Comment from: sharpmama, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a small sore/lesion on the tip of my nose. I noticed it about 1 1/2 years ago, thinking I must have scratched myself or something. It then would bleed and take forever to form a scab. It would eventually fall off but then it would start all over again. I had another lesion on my upper lip that my regular doctor tried to freeze off numerous times, but it came back over and over. About 3 months ago I saw a dermatologist, and they biopsied four areas, 3 of which were diagnosed as basal cell carcinoma. They scheduled two MOHS for the facial ones. The nose MOHS required four levels, the lip just one. The 3rd was on my arm and was excised normally. I found that the procedure was not painful at all (other than the initial numbing shots). Perhaps I am lucky to have seen a really good dermatologist, but my nose procedure was done just over a month ago and has been healing very quickly (despite my 65 years and other medical problems). The doctor was initially going to use a skin graft, but because it was healing so well on its own, we discussed and decided not to do the graft. With how well it was doing he thought it will look better healing on its own. And I agreed. I am now leaving it uncovered for part of the day, though I keep a film of an ointment /healing agent (Sonafine) on it, and expect it to be totally healed in a month or two. I do bandage it when I go out for now. As for nerves, I can tell there was probably a nerve or two cut on the top part of the nose as it feels totally numb, but it doesn't really bother me at all. I am very glad I took care of these. Basal cell carcinoma may not metastasize, but they can be invasive, and when you have them on your face, head, and neck areas, it's possible they could cause serious problems. You just don't know. I plan to have regular checks.

Comment from: Susiegale, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I had Mohs surgery on the side of my nose on June 24, 2015. It is still healing. The worst part of the whole experience was the shots to deaden the area. They are extremely painful. The doctor said the second round of shots wouldn't hurt as much because the area was already deadened. It would have been had they not made me wait two hours between the procedures. The area was not deadened and the second shots hurt just as much as the first. Right now the wound area looks as if it going to heal properly. I don't know about a scar at this time but it will be small if there is one.

Comment from: Mila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had Mohs surgery done last week on my left temple. It was really painless and my doctor was great and really straight with me so I knew where I was standing as he explained what could happen. I had to wear the bandage for 48 hours and then after that dress it every day. I was in a lot of pain once anesthetic worn off. I'm getting my stitches out tomorrow so look forward to have no bandage change routine every day. I am really happy the way doctor and two lovely nurses handled everything.

Comment from: Elvis S., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I had Mohs, on the right side of my face about one inch below my eye to remove a squamous cell carcinoma, in 2011. I was called back in for a second cut to clear it. It left a hole about fingertip wide. I went to a plastic surgeon a few days later, for closure. They made a triangle cut to my temple to create a flap, and then stitched all up. This was the most painful procedure. It took about one year to heal fairly well. I must go again for my temple now; when does it end!

Mohs Surgery - Scars Question: Did your surgery result in a scar? Please describe your experience.
Mohs Surgery - Recovery Time Question: What was the recovery time for your Mohs procedure?