- Causes of Fatigue Slideshow Pictures
- Sleep Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Sleep Slideshow: Foods That Help or Harm Your Sleep
- What is modafinil, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for modafinil?
- Is modafinil available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for modafinil?
- What are the uses for modafinil?
- What are the side effects of modafinil?
- What is the dosage for modafinil?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with modafinil?
- Is modafinil safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about modafinil?
What is modafinil, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Modafinil is an oral drug that is used for improving wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness. It is similar to armodafinil (Nuvigil). Like amphetamines, modafinil promotes wakefulness by stimulatIng the brain. The exact mechanism of action of modafinil is unknown. It may work by increasing the amount of dopamine (a chemical neurotransmitter that nerves use to communicate with each other) in the brain by reducing the reuptake of dopamine into nerves. Modafinil was approved by the FDA in December 1998.
What brand names are available for modafinil?
Is modafinil available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for modafinil?
What are the uses for modafinil?
Modafinil is used to promote wakefulness in patients with excessive sleepiness associated with narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea (in addition to treatment of the underlying obstruction), and shift work sleep disorder. Narcolepsy is a chronic disease of the brain and spinal cord characterized most commonly by a recurrent, uncontrollable desire to sleep. Shift work sleep disorder is a condition in which the normal rhythm of sleep is disturbed, often as a result of working at night. Sleep apnea is a condition where sleep is constantly interrupted at night because of pauses in breathing or shallow breathing usually due to obstruction of the upper airway.
What are the side effects of modafinil?
The most common side effects of modafinil include:
Quick GuideSleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.