Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: wendon, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I have always had some arthritis pain in my hips, but tolerable pain. I used to walk 2 miles per day and my hips would hurt for maybe the first mile, then it would ease up. For the last month I can't walk for 200 feet without a severe burning pain in the front area of my hips/top of my legs. I can't even continue walking at all it hurts so badly. I just have to stand still for 1 to 2 minutes until the burning pain subsides, then walk for another 100 to 200 feet and stop again. I've had MRIs and x-rays on my hips and am told that I am not a candidate for any hip replacements.

Comment from: dhey0225, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Ever since I was still in high school, I already experienced chest pains and palpitations. Due to fear, I did not go to the doctor for consultation. Until one night, while having shower, I suddenly experienced chest pain that was not relieved by rest. Immediately after I report for work, I asked a colleague to do an ECG for me. I'm a nurse, by the way. My ECG showed early ventricular repolarization. I got scared this time so I consulted with a cardiologist. He ordered a series of lab tests and an echocardiogram. The echocardiogram revealed that I have anterior mitral valve prolapse. I took propranolol two times a day for 1 month for my chest pain and palpitation as prescribed by my doctor. I was also advised to engage myself in sports and to avoid any forms of stimulants. I was 23 when I was diagnosed with it. Now, I am 26 but still living a normal life just like others!

Comment from: katy 57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 30 years ago. I am 57 now. I had just given birth to my second child and kept feeling tired. A 24 hour Holter monitor and an echocardiogram confirmed it. I also had to get a pacemaker and a year ago received my third pacemaker.

Comment from: mritechn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) today. I have been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and anxiety attacks. My physician put me on blood pressure medications and put in me contact with an awesome cardiologist. My cardiologist immediately ordered a stress test, ultrasound and echocardiogram, all in the same day. She shared with me her findings and showed me there was a very, very small leakage. She stated I have had this all my life and it's congenital, thank goodness thanks all it is. She stated I can continue with exercise and watch my diet a little closer. Now I am on a low dose of anxiety medication when I need it.

Comment from: RXTech1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed at 20 with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) with mild mitral regurgitation, by a cardiologist performing an ECG and an Echo. Symptoms included palpitations and tremors. I recently noticed an increase in symptoms such as chest pains, orthostatic hypotension, marked palpitations (heart pounds randomly without exertion), fatigue, and shortness of breath when walking up stairs. I had an ECG and Echo and both came back normal. ECHO only shows trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation.

Comment from: Sgeorge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 42 and was diagnoised with MVP three years ago. Mine condition is not severe and may have gone undetected except that I went to the doctor after feeling an occasional flutter in my chest. To my it felt like butterflies and I would also get light-headed. MY PCP examined me and noticed a murmur. I was sent to the cardiologist for an ultrasound and a 24-hour Holter monitor which confirmed the MVP diagnosis.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?