Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: novascotiagal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have had sciatica over the years but worse this year than ever before. Mine is not caused by a disc or back issue but due to the muscle that runs deep in the behind; so I am told. The pain was excruciating. I took naproxen and Tylenol and got some relief. Occasionally I took an anti-anxiety pill as it relaxes muscles and I had spasms at times in the muscles that would almost cause me to fall. I had severe pain and a feeling that that my leg was being hit with a hammer causing sudden loss of balance. I went to see the doctor and she prescribed gabapentin 100 mg to take 3 times a day. And I could increase to 200 mg in 4 days if it didn't work. I took one and it was like a miracle. Pain stopped, I slept soundly all night and in any position; I was so tired of sleeping fitfully on my back! Now I take naproxen as well and the two seem to do the trick. The doctor felt that this might be only a short episode and I should be able to function without medication in 3 to 4 weeks. I am told this medication is dangerous with bad side effects but so far I am only a bit drowsy and hopefully I will be one of the lucky ones as it is making my life so much better.

Comment from: Birdlegs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Tuesday, October 27 I was given a flu shot at 11:30 and that night I vomited, had diarrhea, chills and fever. There was swelling and redness at and around the injection site and it got progressively worse. By Saturday 31, 50 percent of my upper arm was swollen and red with a 3 inch diameter patch of blisters at the injection site. My doctor's office is closed on weekends but I was able to get help at a walk-in clinic. Now I'm seriously wondering if I may have been given a tetanus shot by mistake. I had similar reactions when given a TDAP shot 3 years ago. I have felt exhausted in addition.

Comment from: Jrilo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

One day I was getting ready for work. I sat down to put socks on and felt that my buttock cheeks were sore. Not something you go around talking about. Next morning I couldn't stand up all the way. The pain I felt was ridiculous. My mom told me to soak for a while in a hot bath. After soaking a few times the pilonidal cyst came to a head and was ready to be popped. I just couldn't see it to get it. Last thing I wanted to ask my girlfriend to do was pop it. The pain was too much and I had to do something. I lay on the bed face down. I gave her a razor and told her to pop it and squeeze it till nothing but blood came out. After it was drained I was able to stand up straight and walk normal and the pain was gone pretty much. Popping and the cyst returning happened back and forth for years. I had surgery, about a 6 inch incision down the cleft. Surgery was awful. I ended up ripping stitches and bleeding for about 4 months straight. Finally after going to the doctor every day and getting my bike painted with silver nitrate, the incision finally healed.

Comment from: wendon, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I have always had some arthritis pain in my hips, but tolerable pain. I used to walk 2 miles per day and my hips would hurt for maybe the first mile, then it would ease up. For the last month I can't walk for 200 feet without a severe burning pain in the front area of my hips/top of my legs. I can't even continue walking at all it hurts so badly. I just have to stand still for 1 to 2 minutes until the burning pain subsides, then walk for another 100 to 200 feet and stop again. I've had MRIs and x-rays on my hips and am told that I am not a candidate for any hip replacements.

Comment from: dhey0225, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Ever since I was still in high school, I already experienced chest pains and palpitations. Due to fear, I did not go to the doctor for consultation. Until one night, while having shower, I suddenly experienced chest pain that was not relieved by rest. Immediately after I report for work, I asked a colleague to do an ECG for me. I'm a nurse, by the way. My ECG showed early ventricular repolarization. I got scared this time so I consulted with a cardiologist. He ordered a series of lab tests and an echocardiogram. The echocardiogram revealed that I have anterior mitral valve prolapse. I took propranolol two times a day for 1 month for my chest pain and palpitation as prescribed by my doctor. I was also advised to engage myself in sports and to avoid any forms of stimulants. I was 23 when I was diagnosed with it. Now, I am 26 but still living a normal life just like others!

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?