Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: Sgeorge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 42 and was diagnoised with MVP three years ago. Mine condition is not severe and may have gone undetected except that I went to the doctor after feeling an occasional flutter in my chest. To my it felt like butterflies and I would also get light-headed. MY PCP examined me and noticed a murmur. I was sent to the cardiologist for an ultrasound and a 24-hour Holter monitor which confirmed the MVP diagnosis.

Comment from: AmandaEmily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 8 years old. I would get stabbing chest pains and had an irregular heartbeat. I remember having an ultrasound of my heart and that confirmed the MVP. When I was born 3 months premature in 1985 I had open heart surgery to close a valve that did not do so on its own, the scar is now clear under my left shoulder blade I as have gown ALOT since birth. I still follow the diet that excludes caffeine and stimulants. Always pre medicated for dental visits (all though in the past few years they tell me that the standards have changed and I no longer need to take the antibiotics) I still get stabbing chest pain occasionally and/or anxiety, usually brought on by stress or a lot of physical activity. Fatigue had been a big problem for me since I have been a child. I am the only one in my family to have MVP. I have learned to live with it.

Comment from: Kel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with MVP 2 years ago after having a fluttering sensation in my chest. My mum had a valve replacement 4 years ago so I decided to get my fluttering checked out and after tests and examinations it was confirmed I have MVP. Since then my sister and my daughter have also been diagnosed with valve issues which according to my consultant is a fascinating find as usually it does not pass down generation to generation. Also it only seems to affect the females in our family as my son and nephew are fine. Although I generally coped well I have in the last year been affected badly with anxiety which can be a symptom apparently.

Comment from: Gardenlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My heart murmur was first diagnosed as MVP with a stethoscope and confirmed with an echogram. At the first echo, I was told it looked ok, but that they would want periodic repeat echos to make sure it didn't get worse. Well, 3 to 4 years went by and the doctor said maybe you should get an echo, it's been a while. So I did. He phoned me and said the cardiologist who read my echogram called it 'horrible.' I had severe regurgitation and my heart was enlarging. I went through a few more tests and was quickly scheduled for surgery. I was lucky to only have mitral valve repair and not replacement. I came out of the surgery fine and three-years post-surgery, I am well. I feel like I've never regained the physical stamina I once had, but the tests show everything looks normal once again.

Comment from: Kimberly, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was 16 years old when I started to have MVP, now I'm 18, just a few years after it started. At first I thought it was just some heart burn or something, but when I went to a doctor, she said I have to take the ECG test to know how my heart is doing. To make sure what's my problem, so then it was confirmed that I had MVP, she gave me Propanolol to take 3x a day. It causes to have low blood pressure and it's the cause of my dizziness and just a week ago. I experienced something really painful sort of a pinch poking through my heart, it lasted for like 3 minutes or so, I was just lying in my bed. I didn't know what to do until now. I can take some advice.

Comment from: Rowan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in my 30s. I have had scarlet fever, don"t know if this has anything to do with MVP. My mother had a murmur as do I. I mainly feel tired and have anxiety with tightness in my chest. I usually have the worst flutters when I bend over at the waist and stand up. Sometimes feel faint. Also, the muscles in my upper back get tight also making me feel as if I can"t take a deep breath.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?