Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: Martina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

When I was 16, I underwent a continuous fever, joint pains, and some abnormal things like chest pain and anxiety. My doctor confirmed that I have a rheumatic fever with mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Then I came to know that I became a MVP patient because of rheumatic fever.

Comment from: Gerard McGuirk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the normal symptoms, but then developed Endocarditis due to Streptococcus mitis which led to me being placed in hospital.

Comment from: AnonymousinNYC, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

2 days ago, my daughter who just turned 7 years old was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse and has a minor leak. I am extremely saddened and worried and looking for any answers I can find. She will be having some testing performed in 2 weeks to determine if she has Malfan's syndrome. I am praying that this is not the case. I would appreciate any information or experiences anyone would like to share. I am worried sick.

Comment from: millie jo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Hi all. I am currently in the process of finding out if I have MVP. I am 34 years old now, and for the last 4 weeks I have been getting palpitations. I brang the symptoms up to my family doctor and she ordered me to wear the 48 hour holter monitor. That came back negative. So now for the last 4 days or so I have been getting sharp chest pains in my left side. I decided to go into the ER and they performed another EKG. However, that was normal too. The doc suggested that I may have MVP and just today I went in for an echocardiogram. I will find out by mid next week if I do in fact have MVP. My symptoms are chest pain, palpitations, and shortness of breath at times. I also have a history of tia's, a blood clotting disorder, HTN., and panic anxiety. I recently read up on MVP and all my symptoms are pointing in this direction. So, I guess I will see what the cardiologist confirms about my condition and I will post again when I know for sure.

Comment from: Boots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My Mitral Valve Prolaspe was discovered when I had irregular heart beats, and anxiety, I went to the emergency, I felt pressure in the center of my chest, it felt like I was having a heart attack. Later was sent to see a Heart Specialist and discovered I have a heart murmur and was given medication to the name of the medication is metoprolol succin (toprol XL) 25 mg taken once a day.

Comment from: Tayderbug, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a female and 15 years old, I just got diagnosed with MVP about a month ago. Got diagnosed because for a week I had chest pains very badly and I have always have trouble breathing. When I got diagnosed the first thing they did was a chest x-ray and it came back fine, then they did an EKG and didn't really find anything except that my heart skipped a beat every once in a while. They put me on a 24 our heart monitor and found that at times my heart rate would jump up to 170. They then did an echocardiography test and found out that I have MVP. I am now on a beta-blocker and hoping that it's working.

Comment from: Stella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am 39 years old lady. I had several symptoms not very severe but annoying. I had chest pain like heartburn, palpitations very often, extra systoles, fainting. I went to many other doctors including psychologist - because I thought I had panic disorder - but finally a cardiologist find that I had a leaking mitral valve due to prolapse. I also have medium tricuspid regurgitation. I am almost perfect and I have already given birth to a girl. My daughter is now 15 months old.

Comment from: rairai, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been experiencing chest pains several times before. I have also experienced difficulty in breathing but everything was under control and tolerable. Until last friday. I was brought to the ER that night because of "hypertension". My doctor requested me to undergo 2D Echo. The result showed that I have MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE. It is primary cause of my "hypertension". I was told that I must not be stressed --- may it be physical or emotional.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?