Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: mly1980, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My brother and I both have mitral valve prolapse (MVP). We were diagnosed as infants. Now I'm 30 and my brother is 27. My brother has high blood pressure. I have PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions or extra heartbeats) and suffer from migraine headaches. We both take beta blockers. I'm on Inderal to slow down my heartbeats and it works to prevent migraines. We see our cardiologist once a year for echo's and halter monitors. I can't drink anything with caffeine cause it makes my heart race. We're not sure how both of us ended up with MVP, as far as we know no one in our family had it, but who knows generations ago before we had the technology to detect it.

Comment from: charmed_one1206, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My mild MVP wasn't detected through ECG (perhaps because it is just "mild"). But because of the symptoms I often feel, including my fainting incidents, my doctor decided to refer me to a neurologist and a cardiologist. My neurologist said everything is normal, so my cardiologist wanted to be sure, and so she had me undergo 2D Echo test. That's the only time they found out of my mild MVP.

Comment from: Goliate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I'd gone to my doctor for a minor check when my blood pressure was noticed to be very high. This led to further tests which gave results of my mitral valve prolapsed and a further Rheumatic fever in remission.

Comment from: qwert y, 25-34 Male Published: February 14

I started hearing a whooshing sound around a dozen times a day, it was so loud people standing next to me could hear it. Went to the doctor and they think it may be MVP, I still have further tests to do. Problem only started when I moved to altitude (just over 1000 meters) and whenever I go back to sea level all symptoms disappear, and then re-appear when I get back to altitude. I think I need to move.

Comment from: suartel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

About 3 yrs ago I started feeling constant flutters and it would happen mostly when I was relaxed which worried me. I made an appointment to see a cardiologist and after wearing a holter for 24 hours, they did an echocardiogram and sure enough...it was mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Only a mild regurgitation though. He thought it best not to medicate and also advised said it is no longer necessary to take antibiotics prior to minor procedures like dental cleanings and such. I am 40 and do feel fatigued and my blood pressure is generally low, but I try to keep active. My worst symptom is the darn flutters and what feels like anxiety, but they have lessened significantly with acupuncture.

Comment from: Dee M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

My mitral valve prolapse (MVP) was noticed through a routine chest x-ray. I now have echocardiograms every 6 months. I visit my cardiologist every 3 to 6 months with extensive labs. I do have a long family history of heart problems.

Comment from: Anthy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My Sister was always extremely active but over the years she got tired more quickly whilst at the gym and ignored it thinking it was due to age. She was, however, also experiencing heart palpitations. When she was young she also had rheumatic fever and all this together encouraged her to go to the doctor. She had open-heart surgery to repair two valves. She is looking much better apart from the fact that she gets tired very easily and this is frustrating her. We have also recently heard of a woman who had 3 mitral valve operations and died on the 3rd. Why would someone who has had the first operation require a 2nd and a 3rd. The reason I am asking is because my sister is so stressed after reading that article and so worried that she would one day require a 2nd op that this is causing depression.

Comment from: Finch, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) 4 years ago. I took all the tests required for the heart, to make sure what exactly was the cause of the chest pains; X-ray, 2D-Echo, Treadmill. It was frustrating though because when I was diagnosed, the doctor gave me a medication that was never explained much what it was for. I found out from friends and relatives that the medication was for those who have high blood pressure. Therefore most of them were thinking that it was just a blood pressure related chest pain. Normally, I feel chest pains that would cause me difficulty in breathing and my left arm would start feeling numb. Because I have difficulty in breathing, it caused me successive coughing until I would vomit with fluids that I don't know where it came from. My colleagues would ask me to drink water sometimes, they would massage my left arm to feel something and ease the numbness. I could even remember, I collapsed several times at work because I tried to hide the pain however when I stood up, my legs were numb already and I can't move a single step. They rushed me to the hospital, and there you go. Nothing! I was just asked to rest for days in the hospital, taking medications like vitamins and all. I have been admitted several times already because of this, however they can't figure out exactly what to give me for a medication. When I was first diagnosed with MVP, the doctor even asked me to avoid eating oily foods and soft drinks. Today, it's still a question in me what to do, how my heart is. Even if I read so much of these articles about MVP, I still can't stop asking why, what and how. I'm getting tired of it actually, and I don't even know if emotions as well effects it because sometimes if I feel sad or happy, or stress out with work or family or girlfriend, I feel all the symptoms.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?