Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am a 20 year old girl from NJ. I have been having fainting spells, chest pain, trouble breathing, palpitations of the heart and a fast heartbeat. I would just collapse very suddenly without warning from it. I had to be rushed to the hospital by EMS 7 times in February of 2011, 4 times in May and June of 2011 and 9 times just from Sept 3 to October 2nd of 2011. The doctors did chest x-rays, ct scans and EKGs and all came back okay except for a fast heartbeat. I went for an echocardiogram on Sept 29 of 2011. The cardiologist discovered that I have MVP and a small leak in my left ventricle of my heart with a fast heartbeat. The doctor put me on Lopressor and I been fine since without any sudden episodes.

Comment from: Boots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My Mitral Valve Prolaspe was discovered when I had irregular heart beats, and anxiety, I went to the emergency, I felt pressure in the center of my chest, it felt like I was having a heart attack. Later was sent to see a Heart Specialist and discovered I have a heart murmur and was given medication to the name of the medication is metoprolol succin (toprol XL) 25 mg taken once a day.

Comment from: laughtergodess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I went to the emergency room with chest pains. I had been having these pains for over an hour when I decided to go. I live in a rural area so by the time I got to the ER it had been over two hours since this pain in my chest started. I didn't know what was happening. I knew it wasn't normal and I knew it hurt. After chest x-rays, blood being taken, an ekg and other tests this is what they decided was wrong. Now reading about it, it makes sense. I am a woman, 30 years old. I am thin, have long arms and fingers. I also suffer from depression, anxiety and have been seeming to have more headaches lately than in the past.

Comment from: Tayderbug, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am a female and 15 years old, I just got diagnosed with MVP about a month ago. Got diagnosed because for a week I had chest pains very badly and I have always have trouble breathing. When I got diagnosed the first thing they did was a chest x-ray and it came back fine, then they did an EKG and didn't really find anything except that my heart skipped a beat every once in a while. They put me on a 24 our heart monitor and found that at times my heart rate would jump up to 170. They then did an echocardiography test and found out that I have MVP. I am now on a beta-blocker and hoping that it's working.

Comment from: Stella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am 39 years old lady. I had several symptoms not very severe but annoying. I had chest pain like heartburn, palpitations very often, extra systoles, fainting. I went to many other doctors including psychologist - because I thought I had panic disorder - but finally a cardiologist find that I had a leaking mitral valve due to prolapse. I also have medium tricuspid regurgitation. I am almost perfect and I have already given birth to a girl. My daughter is now 15 months old.

Comment from: rairai, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been experiencing chest pains several times before. I have also experienced difficulty in breathing but everything was under control and tolerable. Until last friday. I was brought to the ER that night because of "hypertension". My doctor requested me to undergo 2D Echo. The result showed that I have MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE. It is primary cause of my "hypertension". I was told that I must not be stressed --- may it be physical or emotional.

Comment from: xtia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I was just diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) today. I'm turning 18 on March 11. At first, I only felt chest pains, but then I started to feel fatigue and headache episodes. That prompted me to see the doctor. I hope I will be able to live long.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?