Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: lyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am a 16 year old female and I was diagnosed with MVP. I was having chest pain, palpitation and irregular heart beats as well as occasional loss of breath.

Comment from: Leslie3223, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I recently turned 43 years old and was diagnosed with MVP about a week ago. I periodically had chest pain that felt like a burning sensation and sometimes a stabbing pain in my ribs under my left breast. Since I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux I thought it was heart burn or something related to Reflux. In January of this year the pain got bad enough for me to go to the ER. I was diagnosed as having something called costochondritis. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and sent home since my EKG was normal. I was recently in the ER again for the same pain and it was again diagnosed as costochondritis. After following up with my own doctor she decided to do a battery of tests which included an EKG, stress test and an echocardigram. All blood work and test results were normal except for the echo which showed MVP. I was again prescribed anti inflammatory drugs for a week and if this doesn't help then my doctor said she would try me on a low dose beta blocker which should eliminate my main symptom which is chest pain.

Comment from: bebe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was in the sixth grade I ran track in Dublin California. It was very hot but it was nothing new to me. After I ran around the track one time I sat on the bench and when I was in the process of catching my breath I felt a very strong heartbeat and as I kept breathing it got faster and stronger. The coaches saw that I looked as if I was going to faint so they rushed me to the nurses office. The nurse recorded my heartbeat until it was back to a steady pace. The pain was bad and if I bent forward or if I was standing I would get a sharp pain in the middle of my chest. My heartbeat raced for an hour before it went back to the normal pace and I had to quit track. After that incident it stopped for a while, and at the end of the school year we moved back to our hometown and my mom took me to the hospital. The doctor performed an EKG on me and a few other tests. Later he diagnosed me with mitral valve prolapse. I actually just had what they call a "palpitation" right before i wrote this .

Comment from: Ariel Santa Catarina, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 14. My only symptom is chest pain. When it occurs it makes me think that I will have a heart attack, then I have panic attacks and a lot of anxiety, It's disgusting, but my cardiologist said that my MVP is without hemodynamic repercussion (no regurgitation), and he also said that I will live normally.

Comment from: REBECCA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a heart attack caused blood clot from the mitral valve.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with MVPS at 25 after a doctor told me I had an irregular heartbeat during an exam. I've always had an anxious personality but, over the course of the last six months, I got progressively more fatigued, had lasting dizzy spells, and an increased shortness of breath. I went to a general physician and had to wear a Holter monitor, then get an echocardiogram. I learned my lesson early: The first cardiologist I was sent to told me nothing and was unable to diagnose me without "running more tests." I found a renowned cardiologist through a friend and was diagnosed with MVPS after a stress-echo. I am currently on Metoprolol to decrease my symptoms, and things are improving. The key with MVPS is to find a doctor who will listen to you: Most want quantity over quality. The doctor I have now listens to and answers all of my questions, which is the best kind of doctor to have.

Comment from: Jcardenas77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) since birth. I am a 35 year old female, and I have not had a problem with it. Once in a while I feel the fluttering and chest tightness, but other than that I have lived a normal life.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?