Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: Rowan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in my 30s. I have had scarlet fever, don"t know if this has anything to do with MVP. My mother had a murmur as do I. I mainly feel tired and have anxiety with tightness in my chest. I usually have the worst flutters when I bend over at the waist and stand up. Sometimes feel faint. Also, the muscles in my upper back get tight also making me feel as if I can"t take a deep breath.

Comment from: DHem3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was 13. Doc heard the classic click sound. Since, i have been told through sonagrams of the heart that it was one of the worst ones the tech had ever seen. My heart skips beats and I almost pass out. So I am on Lopressor/ aka topril to regulate my heart beat.

Comment from: BB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My husband died suddenly in 2005 at the age of 29.The cause of death is myxomatous degeneration of the mitral valve. After my husband passed away, my son was diagnosed with MVP. I do take my son yearly to a cardiologist, but I am concerned. My husband only had one symptom and that was anxiety and heart palpitations. He did not exhibit any other symptoms like fatigue or depression.

Comment from: lyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am a 16 year old female and I was diagnosed with MVP. I was having chest pain, palpitation and irregular heart beats as well as occasional loss of breath.

Comment from: Leslie3223, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I recently turned 43 years old and was diagnosed with MVP about a week ago. I periodically had chest pain that felt like a burning sensation and sometimes a stabbing pain in my ribs under my left breast. Since I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux I thought it was heart burn or something related to Reflux. In January of this year the pain got bad enough for me to go to the ER. I was diagnosed as having something called costochondritis. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and sent home since my EKG was normal. I was recently in the ER again for the same pain and it was again diagnosed as costochondritis. After following up with my own doctor she decided to do a battery of tests which included an EKG, stress test and an echocardigram. All blood work and test results were normal except for the echo which showed MVP. I was again prescribed anti inflammatory drugs for a week and if this doesn't help then my doctor said she would try me on a low dose beta blocker which should eliminate my main symptom which is chest pain.

Comment from: bebe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was in the sixth grade I ran track in Dublin California. It was very hot but it was nothing new to me. After I ran around the track one time I sat on the bench and when I was in the process of catching my breath I felt a very strong heartbeat and as I kept breathing it got faster and stronger. The coaches saw that I looked as if I was going to faint so they rushed me to the nurses office. The nurse recorded my heartbeat until it was back to a steady pace. The pain was bad and if I bent forward or if I was standing I would get a sharp pain in the middle of my chest. My heartbeat raced for an hour before it went back to the normal pace and I had to quit track. After that incident it stopped for a while, and at the end of the school year we moved back to our hometown and my mom took me to the hospital. The doctor performed an EKG on me and a few other tests. Later he diagnosed me with mitral valve prolapse. I actually just had what they call a "palpitation" right before i wrote this .

Comment from: Ariel Santa Catarina, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 14. My only symptom is chest pain. When it occurs it makes me think that I will have a heart attack, then I have panic attacks and a lot of anxiety, It's disgusting, but my cardiologist said that my MVP is without hemodynamic repercussion (no regurgitation), and he also said that I will live normally.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?