Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: April&me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I am 55 years old. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 26. I ran two miles a day and lifted weights six days a week. I noticed that my heart skipped beats, and I started getting chest pains and fatigue. One night, our two dogs got in a fight and while breaking it up, I had a huge palpitation. My heart seemed to stop for several seconds. The episode scared me, and I fainted. A short time later, I found myself in my brother-in-law's pick-up truck and on my way to the emergency room (ER). I was diagnosed at the ER. I stopped all caffeine. I am currently not on any medication. I exercise lightly with weights and I ride my horse several times a week. I still occasionally have symptoms, especially when under stress. My closest friend has severe regurgitation and is going in for MVP surgery soon.

Comment from: REBECCA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I had a heart attack caused blood clot from the mitral valve.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with MVPS at 25 after a doctor told me I had an irregular heartbeat during an exam. I've always had an anxious personality but, over the course of the last six months, I got progressively more fatigued, had lasting dizzy spells, and an increased shortness of breath. I went to a general physician and had to wear a Holter monitor, then get an echocardiogram. I learned my lesson early: The first cardiologist I was sent to told me nothing and was unable to diagnose me without "running more tests." I found a renowned cardiologist through a friend and was diagnosed with MVPS after a stress-echo. I am currently on Metoprolol to decrease my symptoms, and things are improving. The key with MVPS is to find a doctor who will listen to you: Most want quantity over quality. The doctor I have now listens to and answers all of my questions, which is the best kind of doctor to have.

Comment from: Jcardenas77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I've had a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) since birth. I am a 35 year old female, and I have not had a problem with it. Once in a while I feel the fluttering and chest tightness, but other than that I have lived a normal life.

Comment from: Martina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

When I was 16, I underwent a continuous fever, joint pains, and some abnormal things like chest pain and anxiety. My doctor confirmed that I have a rheumatic fever with mitral valve prolapse (MVP). Then I came to know that I became a MVP patient because of rheumatic fever.

Comment from: Gerard McGuirk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I had the normal symptoms, but then developed Endocarditis due to Streptococcus mitis which led to me being placed in hospital.

Comment from: AnonymousinNYC, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 20

2 days ago, my daughter who just turned 7 years old was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse and has a minor leak. I am extremely saddened and worried and looking for any answers I can find. She will be having some testing performed in 2 weeks to determine if she has Malfan's syndrome. I am praying that this is not the case. I would appreciate any information or experiences anyone would like to share. I am worried sick.

Comment from: millie jo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Hi all. I am currently in the process of finding out if I have MVP. I am 34 years old now, and for the last 4 weeks I have been getting palpitations. I brang the symptoms up to my family doctor and she ordered me to wear the 48 hour holter monitor. That came back negative. So now for the last 4 days or so I have been getting sharp chest pains in my left side. I decided to go into the ER and they performed another EKG. However, that was normal too. The doc suggested that I may have MVP and just today I went in for an echocardiogram. I will find out by mid next week if I do in fact have MVP. My symptoms are chest pain, palpitations, and shortness of breath at times. I also have a history of tia's, a blood clotting disorder, HTN., and panic anxiety. I recently read up on MVP and all my symptoms are pointing in this direction. So, I guess I will see what the cardiologist confirms about my condition and I will post again when I know for sure.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?