Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: sabrina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm 24 years old. I was told I had mitral valve prolapse when I was 14. My heart races all the time and I had a lot of chest pains. It got really scary sometimes. I could be sitting down for an hour or so and my heart begins to races out of control and I start getting light headed a lot. At least I know I'm not alone in this. The doctors here say it's not deadly or nothing and I'll be just fine.

Comment from: bill g, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I was being checked at the plant hospital for another problem when the nurse heard the clicking. I was put on a 24 hour monitor and diagnosed with MVP. I had no symptoms except I was tired a lot. I've had a few echocardiograms and stress tests. The valve starts to work perfectly after two minutes into the test so I just live with it. I do fall asleep for a few minutes when I get home from work but not sure that is a result from MVP. I was diagnosed 23 years ago and am a 59 year old male now.

Comment from: mayzie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was 19 when my doctor notices a murmur in a checkup and referred me to a cardiologist. He ran a series of test, stress test, echo, stress echo and a tilt table. It came back that I had a mild MVP and a mild Regurgitation and I had neurocardiogenic syncope. He prescribed Atenolol, I think I only took it for a few weeks. I'm not a fan of drugs so I avoid them, besides I really didn't have symptoms, but as I got older I did start experiencing symptoms, little things the irregular heart beat (usually a fluttering in the heart)with a little chest pain, I do get dehydrated very easily and tired. Now I'm 31 my symptoms have gotten worse, the irregular heartbeats are happening more often, chest pain, fatigue, dizziness, and headaches. I went to the doctor and he did prescribe metoprolol and as much as I dislike taking pills, I have been taking them every day for the last month and half and honestly it has only made me feel a little better. The cardiologist also sent me to do another stress test and stress echo done last week (I get echoes and stress test every year) and my cardiologist told me the leaflet in my mitral valve was thicker and that I had a true prolapse and I have arrhythmia. Let's see what happens. I just hope this doesn't get any worse.

Comment from: scared in oh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am a 41 year old woman. I was officially diagnosed in January of 2005! I have always had a murmur since age 4. I have a scary problem that I live with. When, I guess, my MVP acts up I feel like a fish out of water. You know, you can't get a deep breath to save your life, you have to make yourself yawn, and don't even try to listen to anyone around you, because that just scares you more into thinking you are going to die! I would like to know if there is anyone else out there like me? Please, I'm so scared! It happened yesterday in the ER. I wasn't there for that, no one would help me, they just kept taking me to x-ray, then did the x-ray while I was like that. I finally got myself calmed down, alone in my ER room! Please I need to know I'm not alone! Thank you!

Comment from: Rowan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in my 30s. I have had scarlet fever, don"t know if this has anything to do with MVP. My mother had a murmur as do I. I mainly feel tired and have anxiety with tightness in my chest. I usually have the worst flutters when I bend over at the waist and stand up. Sometimes feel faint. Also, the muscles in my upper back get tight also making me feel as if I can"t take a deep breath.

Comment from: DHem3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was 13. Doc heard the classic click sound. Since, i have been told through sonagrams of the heart that it was one of the worst ones the tech had ever seen. My heart skips beats and I almost pass out. So I am on Lopressor/ aka topril to regulate my heart beat.

Comment from: BB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My husband died suddenly in 2005 at the age of 29.The cause of death is myxomatous degeneration of the mitral valve. After my husband passed away, my son was diagnosed with MVP. I do take my son yearly to a cardiologist, but I am concerned. My husband only had one symptom and that was anxiety and heart palpitations. He did not exhibit any other symptoms like fatigue or depression.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?