Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: Becca0204, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was 26 when I had my first child. The day I got out of the hospital from having her, I ended up back in the ER for shortness of breath. I was diagnosed with a murmur and after being back in the hospital for a week and extensive testing I was diagnosed with MVP. I was told to have it checked every 5 years but that I was fine. Jump to 9 years later I have moved to another state and I started having palpitations and anxiety attacks. I went back to the doctor and we did testing to determine that I still had MVP but that now I have to be checked every 3 years. The palpitations have subsided without treatment and now it's just every few months here and there. I am not on any medication, but I started having a lot of fatigue.

Comment from: sabrina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm 24 years old. I was told I had mitral valve prolapse when I was 14. My heart races all the time and I had a lot of chest pains. It got really scary sometimes. I could be sitting down for an hour or so and my heart begins to races out of control and I start getting light headed a lot. At least I know I'm not alone in this. The doctors here say it's not deadly or nothing and I'll be just fine.

Comment from: bill g, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I was being checked at the plant hospital for another problem when the nurse heard the clicking. I was put on a 24 hour monitor and diagnosed with MVP. I had no symptoms except I was tired a lot. I've had a few echocardiograms and stress tests. The valve starts to work perfectly after two minutes into the test so I just live with it. I do fall asleep for a few minutes when I get home from work but not sure that is a result from MVP. I was diagnosed 23 years ago and am a 59 year old male now.

Comment from: mayzie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was 19 when my doctor notices a murmur in a checkup and referred me to a cardiologist. He ran a series of test, stress test, echo, stress echo and a tilt table. It came back that I had a mild MVP and a mild Regurgitation and I had neurocardiogenic syncope. He prescribed Atenolol, I think I only took it for a few weeks. I'm not a fan of drugs so I avoid them, besides I really didn't have symptoms, but as I got older I did start experiencing symptoms, little things the irregular heart beat (usually a fluttering in the heart)with a little chest pain, I do get dehydrated very easily and tired. Now I'm 31 my symptoms have gotten worse, the irregular heartbeats are happening more often, chest pain, fatigue, dizziness, and headaches. I went to the doctor and he did prescribe metoprolol and as much as I dislike taking pills, I have been taking them every day for the last month and half and honestly it has only made me feel a little better. The cardiologist also sent me to do another stress test and stress echo done last week (I get echoes and stress test every year) and my cardiologist told me the leaflet in my mitral valve was thicker and that I had a true prolapse and I have arrhythmia. Let's see what happens. I just hope this doesn't get any worse.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

As a teenager, I suffered from chest pains and occasional dizziness. Doctors ran an EKG on me and listened to my heart and decided that it was just stress. I knew that was not right because the chest pains would occur at times when I was under no stress. I never had much energy, and my parents just thought I was lazy. Fast forward 15 years, around the age of 23, I applied for a job that required a physical. A physician's assistant listened to my heart and immediately sent me over to see a cardiologist. It scared me to death. The cardiologist said that the PA had picked up on the fact that I had MVP. The PA said he was surprised that I could swim the length of a pool. Fortunately, my case was not severe enough to treat except for getting additional antibiotics for dental work and surgeries. Many doctors had listened to my heart over the years and none had picked up the flutter. The EKG had not shown any problem either. Yay for physicians' assistants who do a great job!

Comment from: scared in oh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am a 41 year old woman. I was officially diagnosed in January of 2005! I have always had a murmur since age 4. I have a scary problem that I live with. When, I guess, my MVP acts up I feel like a fish out of water. You know, you can't get a deep breath to save your life, you have to make yourself yawn, and don't even try to listen to anyone around you, because that just scares you more into thinking you are going to die! I would like to know if there is anyone else out there like me? Please, I'm so scared! It happened yesterday in the ER. I wasn't there for that, no one would help me, they just kept taking me to x-ray, then did the x-ray while I was like that. I finally got myself calmed down, alone in my ER room! Please I need to know I'm not alone! Thank you!

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?