Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

As a teenager, I suffered from chest pains and occasional dizziness. Doctors ran an EKG on me and listened to my heart and decided that it was just stress. I knew that was not right because the chest pains would occur at times when I was under no stress. I never had much energy, and my parents just thought I was lazy. Fast forward 15 years, around the age of 23, I applied for a job that required a physical. A physician's assistant listened to my heart and immediately sent me over to see a cardiologist. It scared me to death. The cardiologist said that the PA had picked up on the fact that I had MVP. The PA said he was surprised that I could swim the length of a pool. Fortunately, my case was not severe enough to treat except for getting additional antibiotics for dental work and surgeries. Many doctors had listened to my heart over the years and none had picked up the flutter. The EKG had not shown any problem either. Yay for physicians' assistants who do a great job!

Comment from: scared in oh, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I am a 41 year old woman. I was officially diagnosed in January of 2005! I have always had a murmur since age 4. I have a scary problem that I live with. When, I guess, my MVP acts up I feel like a fish out of water. You know, you can't get a deep breath to save your life, you have to make yourself yawn, and don't even try to listen to anyone around you, because that just scares you more into thinking you are going to die! I would like to know if there is anyone else out there like me? Please, I'm so scared! It happened yesterday in the ER. I wasn't there for that, no one would help me, they just kept taking me to x-ray, then did the x-ray while I was like that. I finally got myself calmed down, alone in my ER room! Please I need to know I'm not alone! Thank you!

Comment from: lyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I am a 16 year old female and I was diagnosed with MVP. I was having chest pain, palpitation and irregular heart beats as well as occasional loss of breath.

Comment from: Leslie3223, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I recently turned 43 years old and was diagnosed with MVP about a week ago. I periodically had chest pain that felt like a burning sensation and sometimes a stabbing pain in my ribs under my left breast. Since I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux I thought it was heart burn or something related to Reflux. In January of this year the pain got bad enough for me to go to the ER. I was diagnosed as having something called costochondritis. I was prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and sent home since my EKG was normal. I was recently in the ER again for the same pain and it was again diagnosed as costochondritis. After following up with my own doctor she decided to do a battery of tests which included an EKG, stress test and an echocardigram. All blood work and test results were normal except for the echo which showed MVP. I was again prescribed anti inflammatory drugs for a week and if this doesn't help then my doctor said she would try me on a low dose beta blocker which should eliminate my main symptom which is chest pain.

Comment from: bebe, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

When I was in the sixth grade I ran track in Dublin California. It was very hot but it was nothing new to me. After I ran around the track one time I sat on the bench and when I was in the process of catching my breath I felt a very strong heartbeat and as I kept breathing it got faster and stronger. The coaches saw that I looked as if I was going to faint so they rushed me to the nurses office. The nurse recorded my heartbeat until it was back to a steady pace. The pain was bad and if I bent forward or if I was standing I would get a sharp pain in the middle of my chest. My heartbeat raced for an hour before it went back to the normal pace and I had to quit track. After that incident it stopped for a while, and at the end of the school year we moved back to our hometown and my mom took me to the hospital. The doctor performed an EKG on me and a few other tests. Later he diagnosed me with mitral valve prolapse. I actually just had what they call a "palpitation" right before i wrote this .

Comment from: Ariel Santa Catarina, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I'm 20 years old. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 14. My only symptom is chest pain. When it occurs it makes me think that I will have a heart attack, then I have panic attacks and a lot of anxiety, It's disgusting, but my cardiologist said that my MVP is without hemodynamic repercussion (no regurgitation), and he also said that I will live normally.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?