Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: AmandaEmily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 8 years old. I would get stabbing chest pains and had an irregular heartbeat. I remember having an ultrasound of my heart and that confirmed the MVP. When I was born 3 months premature in 1985 I had open heart surgery to close a valve that did not do so on its own, the scar is now clear under my left shoulder blade I as have gown ALOT since birth. I still follow the diet that excludes caffeine and stimulants. Always pre medicated for dental visits (all though in the past few years they tell me that the standards have changed and I no longer need to take the antibiotics) I still get stabbing chest pain occasionally and/or anxiety, usually brought on by stress or a lot of physical activity. Fatigue had been a big problem for me since I have been a child. I am the only one in my family to have MVP. I have learned to live with it.

Comment from: Kel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with MVP 2 years ago after having a fluttering sensation in my chest. My mum had a valve replacement 4 years ago so I decided to get my fluttering checked out and after tests and examinations it was confirmed I have MVP. Since then my sister and my daughter have also been diagnosed with valve issues which according to my consultant is a fascinating find as usually it does not pass down generation to generation. Also it only seems to affect the females in our family as my son and nephew are fine. Although I generally coped well I have in the last year been affected badly with anxiety which can be a symptom apparently.

Comment from: Gardenlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My heart murmur was first diagnosed as MVP with a stethoscope and confirmed with an echogram. At the first echo, I was told it looked ok, but that they would want periodic repeat echos to make sure it didn't get worse. Well, 3 to 4 years went by and the doctor said maybe you should get an echo, it's been a while. So I did. He phoned me and said the cardiologist who read my echogram called it 'horrible.' I had severe regurgitation and my heart was enlarging. I went through a few more tests and was quickly scheduled for surgery. I was lucky to only have mitral valve repair and not replacement. I came out of the surgery fine and three-years post-surgery, I am well. I feel like I've never regained the physical stamina I once had, but the tests show everything looks normal once again.

Comment from: Kimberly, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was 16 years old when I started to have MVP, now I'm 18, just a few years after it started. At first I thought it was just some heart burn or something, but when I went to a doctor, she said I have to take the ECG test to know how my heart is doing. To make sure what's my problem, so then it was confirmed that I had MVP, she gave me Propanolol to take 3x a day. It causes to have low blood pressure and it's the cause of my dizziness and just a week ago. I experienced something really painful sort of a pinch poking through my heart, it lasted for like 3 minutes or so, I was just lying in my bed. I didn't know what to do until now. I can take some advice.

Comment from: Guitarist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 56 year old female who has had mitral valve prolapse (MVP) since I was a teen. A young doctor who was giving me a physical exam to play sports picked up the "click" when listening to my heart. After that, I had echocardiograms with a specialist every year. Eventually, this turned into once every 3 years, then every 5 years. I have experienced the fluttering heart, extreme fatigue, migraines, anxiety, panic, and even infertility. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I realized that it was related to MVP and that I wasn't alone.

Comment from: stephanieG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 26 years old and I was diagnosed a couple of months ago. It was very scary at first considering I had seen so many doctors and they would all say it was nothing I thought I was going crazy at some points in my life and then finally I switched family docs and he sent me to a heart specialist that figured it out. I also have two small boys so the sensation of my heart palpating was very scary. For the past three years I've felt them and was freaking out and knowing now what I have has given me a piece of mind also reading all of these as well has help a ton. I think the best advice I got was if you feel that something is wrong with you don't give up. You know your body better than anyone.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?