Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: dhey0225, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Ever since I was still in high school, I already experienced chest pains and palpitations. Due to fear, I did not go to the doctor for consultation. Until one night, while having shower, I suddenly experienced chest pain that was not relieved by rest. Immediately after I report for work, I asked a colleague to do an ECG for me. I'm a nurse, by the way. My ECG showed early ventricular repolarization. I got scared this time so I consulted with a cardiologist. He ordered a series of lab tests and an echocardiogram. The echocardiogram revealed that I have anterior mitral valve prolapse. I took propranolol two times a day for 1 month for my chest pain and palpitation as prescribed by my doctor. I was also advised to engage myself in sports and to avoid any forms of stimulants. I was 23 when I was diagnosed with it. Now, I am 26 but still living a normal life just like others!

Comment from: katy 57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 30 years ago. I am 57 now. I had just given birth to my second child and kept feeling tired. A 24 hour Holter monitor and an echocardiogram confirmed it. I also had to get a pacemaker and a year ago received my third pacemaker.

Comment from: mritechn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) today. I have been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and anxiety attacks. My physician put me on blood pressure medications and put in me contact with an awesome cardiologist. My cardiologist immediately ordered a stress test, ultrasound and echocardiogram, all in the same day. She shared with me her findings and showed me there was a very, very small leakage. She stated I have had this all my life and it's congenital, thank goodness thanks all it is. She stated I can continue with exercise and watch my diet a little closer. Now I am on a low dose of anxiety medication when I need it.

Comment from: RXTech1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed at 20 with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) with mild mitral regurgitation, by a cardiologist performing an ECG and an Echo. Symptoms included palpitations and tremors. I recently noticed an increase in symptoms such as chest pains, orthostatic hypotension, marked palpitations (heart pounds randomly without exertion), fatigue, and shortness of breath when walking up stairs. I had an ECG and Echo and both came back normal. ECHO only shows trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation.

Comment from: Sgeorge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 42 and was diagnoised with MVP three years ago. Mine condition is not severe and may have gone undetected except that I went to the doctor after feeling an occasional flutter in my chest. To my it felt like butterflies and I would also get light-headed. MY PCP examined me and noticed a murmur. I was sent to the cardiologist for an ultrasound and a 24-hour Holter monitor which confirmed the MVP diagnosis.

Comment from: AmandaEmily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 8 years old. I would get stabbing chest pains and had an irregular heartbeat. I remember having an ultrasound of my heart and that confirmed the MVP. When I was born 3 months premature in 1985 I had open heart surgery to close a valve that did not do so on its own, the scar is now clear under my left shoulder blade I as have gown ALOT since birth. I still follow the diet that excludes caffeine and stimulants. Always pre medicated for dental visits (all though in the past few years they tell me that the standards have changed and I no longer need to take the antibiotics) I still get stabbing chest pain occasionally and/or anxiety, usually brought on by stress or a lot of physical activity. Fatigue had been a big problem for me since I have been a child. I am the only one in my family to have MVP. I have learned to live with it.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?