Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: katy 57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse 30 years ago. I am 57 now. I had just given birth to my second child and kept feeling tired. A 24 hour Holter monitor and an echocardiogram confirmed it. I also had to get a pacemaker and a year ago received my third pacemaker.

Comment from: mritechn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) today. I have been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and anxiety attacks. My physician put me on blood pressure medications and put in me contact with an awesome cardiologist. My cardiologist immediately ordered a stress test, ultrasound and echocardiogram, all in the same day. She shared with me her findings and showed me there was a very, very small leakage. She stated I have had this all my life and it's congenital, thank goodness thanks all it is. She stated I can continue with exercise and watch my diet a little closer. Now I am on a low dose of anxiety medication when I need it.

Comment from: RXTech1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was diagnosed at 20 with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) with mild mitral regurgitation, by a cardiologist performing an ECG and an Echo. Symptoms included palpitations and tremors. I recently noticed an increase in symptoms such as chest pains, orthostatic hypotension, marked palpitations (heart pounds randomly without exertion), fatigue, and shortness of breath when walking up stairs. I had an ECG and Echo and both came back normal. ECHO only shows trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation.

Comment from: Sgeorge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am 42 and was diagnoised with MVP three years ago. Mine condition is not severe and may have gone undetected except that I went to the doctor after feeling an occasional flutter in my chest. To my it felt like butterflies and I would also get light-headed. MY PCP examined me and noticed a murmur. I was sent to the cardiologist for an ultrasound and a 24-hour Holter monitor which confirmed the MVP diagnosis.

Comment from: AmandaEmily, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when I was 8 years old. I would get stabbing chest pains and had an irregular heartbeat. I remember having an ultrasound of my heart and that confirmed the MVP. When I was born 3 months premature in 1985 I had open heart surgery to close a valve that did not do so on its own, the scar is now clear under my left shoulder blade I as have gown ALOT since birth. I still follow the diet that excludes caffeine and stimulants. Always pre medicated for dental visits (all though in the past few years they tell me that the standards have changed and I no longer need to take the antibiotics) I still get stabbing chest pain occasionally and/or anxiety, usually brought on by stress or a lot of physical activity. Fatigue had been a big problem for me since I have been a child. I am the only one in my family to have MVP. I have learned to live with it.

Comment from: Kel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with MVP 2 years ago after having a fluttering sensation in my chest. My mum had a valve replacement 4 years ago so I decided to get my fluttering checked out and after tests and examinations it was confirmed I have MVP. Since then my sister and my daughter have also been diagnosed with valve issues which according to my consultant is a fascinating find as usually it does not pass down generation to generation. Also it only seems to affect the females in our family as my son and nephew are fine. Although I generally coped well I have in the last year been affected badly with anxiety which can be a symptom apparently.

Comment from: Gardenlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My heart murmur was first diagnosed as MVP with a stethoscope and confirmed with an echogram. At the first echo, I was told it looked ok, but that they would want periodic repeat echos to make sure it didn't get worse. Well, 3 to 4 years went by and the doctor said maybe you should get an echo, it's been a while. So I did. He phoned me and said the cardiologist who read my echogram called it 'horrible.' I had severe regurgitation and my heart was enlarging. I went through a few more tests and was quickly scheduled for surgery. I was lucky to only have mitral valve repair and not replacement. I came out of the surgery fine and three-years post-surgery, I am well. I feel like I've never regained the physical stamina I once had, but the tests show everything looks normal once again.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?