Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis

How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?

Comment from: DHem3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was 13. Doc heard the classic click sound. Since, i have been told through sonagrams of the heart that it was one of the worst ones the tech had ever seen. My heart skips beats and I almost pass out. So I am on Lopressor/ aka topril to regulate my heart beat.

Comment from: BB, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My husband died suddenly in 2005 at the age of 29.The cause of death is myxomatous degeneration of the mitral valve. After my husband passed away, my son was diagnosed with MVP. I do take my son yearly to a cardiologist, but I am concerned. My husband only had one symptom and that was anxiety and heart palpitations. He did not exhibit any other symptoms like fatigue or depression.

Comment from: Guitarist, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 56 year old female who has had mitral valve prolapse (MVP) since I was a teen. A young doctor who was giving me a physical exam to play sports picked up the "click" when listening to my heart. After that, I had echocardiograms with a specialist every year. Eventually, this turned into once every 3 years, then every 5 years. I have experienced the fluttering heart, extreme fatigue, migraines, anxiety, panic, and even infertility. It wasn't until 2 years ago that I realized that it was related to MVP and that I wasn't alone.

Comment from: stephanieG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 26 years old and I was diagnosed a couple of months ago. It was very scary at first considering I had seen so many doctors and they would all say it was nothing I thought I was going crazy at some points in my life and then finally I switched family docs and he sent me to a heart specialist that figured it out. I also have two small boys so the sensation of my heart palpating was very scary. For the past three years I've felt them and was freaking out and knowing now what I have has given me a piece of mind also reading all of these as well has help a ton. I think the best advice I got was if you feel that something is wrong with you don't give up. You know your body better than anyone.

Comment from: Becca0204, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I was 26 when I had my first child. The day I got out of the hospital from having her, I ended up back in the ER for shortness of breath. I was diagnosed with a murmur and after being back in the hospital for a week and extensive testing I was diagnosed with MVP. I was told to have it checked every 5 years but that I was fine. Jump to 9 years later I have moved to another state and I started having palpitations and anxiety attacks. I went back to the doctor and we did testing to determine that I still had MVP but that now I have to be checked every 3 years. The palpitations have subsided without treatment and now it's just every few months here and there. I am not on any medication, but I started having a lot of fatigue.

Comment from: sabrina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm 24 years old. I was told I had mitral valve prolapse when I was 14. My heart races all the time and I had a lot of chest pains. It got really scary sometimes. I could be sitting down for an hour or so and my heart begins to races out of control and I start getting light headed a lot. At least I know I'm not alone in this. The doctors here say it's not deadly or nothing and I'll be just fine.

Comment from: bill g, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I was being checked at the plant hospital for another problem when the nurse heard the clicking. I was put on a 24 hour monitor and diagnosed with MVP. I had no symptoms except I was tired a lot. I've had a few echocardiograms and stress tests. The valve starts to work perfectly after two minutes into the test so I just live with it. I do fall asleep for a few minutes when I get home from work but not sure that is a result from MVP. I was diagnosed 23 years ago and am a 59 year old male now.

Comment from: mayzie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was 19 when my doctor notices a murmur in a checkup and referred me to a cardiologist. He ran a series of test, stress test, echo, stress echo and a tilt table. It came back that I had a mild MVP and a mild Regurgitation and I had neurocardiogenic syncope. He prescribed Atenolol, I think I only took it for a few weeks. I'm not a fan of drugs so I avoid them, besides I really didn't have symptoms, but as I got older I did start experiencing symptoms, little things the irregular heart beat (usually a fluttering in the heart)with a little chest pain, I do get dehydrated very easily and tired. Now I'm 31 my symptoms have gotten worse, the irregular heartbeats are happening more often, chest pain, fatigue, dizziness, and headaches. I went to the doctor and he did prescribe metoprolol and as much as I dislike taking pills, I have been taking them every day for the last month and half and honestly it has only made me feel a little better. The cardiologist also sent me to do another stress test and stress echo done last week (I get echoes and stress test every year) and my cardiologist told me the leaflet in my mitral valve was thicker and that I had a true prolapse and I have arrhythmia. Let's see what happens. I just hope this doesn't get any worse.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms Question: For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?