Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: birdsrelaxme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Early on, in my twenties, I had palpitations and sudden chest pain, eventually controlled well with beta-blockers. I have occasionally pain on the left side when sleeping on that side. I have fatigue, and sometimes inability to concentrate. Over several years, I have had episodes of visual disturbances. I see colored patterns, vibrating lights, usually on one side, lasting 15 to 20 minutes. Doctors do not see the correlation between this and mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and have made me worried that I have multiple sclerosis. In general there is reluctance among doctors to see MVP as causing many different symptoms.

Comment from: hemizonia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had occasionally detected faint heart murmur since childhood. In 2009, I developed irregular heartbeat, sinus rhythm. I was dropping a lot of beats, down to a rate of 40/minute. My chest would shake with each beat. The doctor I went to has MVP (mitral valve prolapse), knew the symptoms, started me on Ativan for anxiety and to slow down CNS (central nervous system). It helps. I have had stress and echo tests in 2009, and cardiology tests found nothing. Now I have a murmur and click. Fatigue is a big issue for me; and I guess anxiety. Doctors say best thing for erratic heart beat is to get up and run, walk fast, do something to get heart rate and blood pressure up. They say it can 'snap' the valve back in place. It does help a lot. The MVP doctor keeps an exercise bike both at his office and at home to quell his irregular beats.

Comment from: dhey0225, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I experienced chest pain and palpitation with mitral valve prolapse.

Comment from: AnnieB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

To my fellow mitral valve prolapse (MVP) patients. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 38. I was having crazy pain in my chest, sometimes radiating out down my left arm. It flares up when I am stressed or emotional. Then I saw an acupuncturist who put me on an herbal formula called Heavenly Water. I don't know if that is standard for the diagnosis or just the formula my body needed to balance out the symptoms. But either way it works like a charm. I felt like a normal person again! I took it continuously for a while and all symptoms disappeared. I had to go off of it when I was pregnant and some symptoms came back, but mostly lighter than before. I am still nursing but much less and when the pain and nightly panic attacks came back, I went back on it and once again it has helped tremendously. I hope this information can help some of you, especially if you, like me, are not in resonance with pharmaceutical drugs.

Comment from: abigail, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had my 2D echo twice and diagnosis was mild mitral valve prolapse with mitral regurgitation. When I consulted the cardiologist, I was told that MVP is congenital. Symptoms I usually experience are shortness of breath and chest pain, even when sleeping.

Comment from: donna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 38 years old and have recently been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP). I firstly started out with broken sleep and thumping of the heart that was terrible and really bad headaches. I went to see my general physician who diagnosed me with anxiety and panic attacks. I didn't think this was right but they were the professionals. Well I then started having more attacks and even in everyday things like shopping, stair climbing etc. I went to hospital numerous times and really felt awful and no one believed me. Eventually I had an ECG which showed something was wrong with my pulse. I was sent for an echocardiogram and this found MVP. I'm now waiting to see at what level I'm at. I stopped smoking 3 months ago. I am also so glad I found this site to know other people and their symptoms.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?