Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: random123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I was recently diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and had similar experiences of many of you here. It was helpful to see that others have the chest pain, palpitations, anxiety, dizzy spells, etc. Mine is worse during PMS (premenstrual syndrome) and are very episodic in nature. I've been struggling the last two months out of nowhere and hope to get a break soon!

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I am wondering if mitral valve prolapse (MVP) is what I could have. I have fatigue, headaches, pain and heaviness in chest, left arm, and shoulder. I had open heart surgery as a kid to repair a hole and have had several episodes of passing out over the years with the cause never determined.

Comment from: ebrady00, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and also fibromyalgia. I have a lot of fatigue, heart palpitations and pain/aching in my muscles. I have read that MVP and fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome are related, although my cardiologist swears up and down that my MVP should not affect me. However he wants to see me for an echocardiogram and stress test once a year. So I wonder why if my MVP is not a big deal. I believe MVP causes irregular and interrupted blood flow to the body and this contributes to my symptoms.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have been diagnosed with mild mitral valve prolapse (MVP). I often have sudden periods where my heart pounds really hard for no reason (but doesn't beat fast), shortness of breath and muscle weakness in my arms and legs. I have worn a Holter monitor and during these periods the doctor said everything was normal. She said I am probably overly sensitive to the MVP. It is stressful and I usually do take a Xanax and after laying down for a while it subsides. I also feel like I could have a heart attack but the doctor has no concerns. I may get a second opinion, because this is not normal!

Comment from: birdsrelaxme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Early on, in my twenties, I had palpitations and sudden chest pain, eventually controlled well with beta-blockers. I have occasionally pain on the left side when sleeping on that side. I have fatigue, and sometimes inability to concentrate. Over several years, I have had episodes of visual disturbances. I see colored patterns, vibrating lights, usually on one side, lasting 15 to 20 minutes. Doctors do not see the correlation between this and mitral valve prolapse (MVP) and have made me worried that I have multiple sclerosis. In general there is reluctance among doctors to see MVP as causing many different symptoms.

Comment from: hemizonia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had occasionally detected faint heart murmur since childhood. In 2009, I developed irregular heartbeat, sinus rhythm. I was dropping a lot of beats, down to a rate of 40/minute. My chest would shake with each beat. The doctor I went to has MVP (mitral valve prolapse), knew the symptoms, started me on Ativan for anxiety and to slow down CNS (central nervous system). It helps. I have had stress and echo tests in 2009, and cardiology tests found nothing. Now I have a murmur and click. Fatigue is a big issue for me; and I guess anxiety. Doctors say best thing for erratic heart beat is to get up and run, walk fast, do something to get heart rate and blood pressure up. They say it can 'snap' the valve back in place. It does help a lot. The MVP doctor keeps an exercise bike both at his office and at home to quell his irregular beats.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?