Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kirsti, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was diagnosed with (mitral valve prolapse) MVP when I was 20. I was experiencing some chest pain so I went to a cardiologist. Upon having an EKG, it was diagnosed. It causes very few problems for me other than the occasional flittering of the valve which I can feel and with that, some feelings of anxiety. I still exercise regularly and without any difficulty.

Comment from: Doug, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with MVP (mitral valve prolapse) when I was 20. Other than dental procedures I never gave it another thought. When I was 45 I awoke one day unable to breath or stand. Paramedics were called and I was rushed to the hospital. My mitral valve had snapped and my lungs were filling with fluid. I was in surgery the next day and my valve was repaired. The repair lasted about a year when it slipped and started leaking again. It's been 5 years. I get an echo every 6 months. Just waiting to hear the news that I have to replace the valve. If you have MVP pay attention to it.

Comment from: Mythili, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed to have MVP (mitral valve prolapse) when I was 18 years. I used to have very bad shortness of breath and palpitations. I was in the emergency room most of the nights and finally echocardiogram helped the doctors in diagnosing it. I was on medications for a few months and slowly I started practicing my dance and other normal activities. Now I'm able to lead a healthy and asymptomatic life. Sometimes doctors really scare us but still we need to continue with our physical activities.

Comment from: Govender 27, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 07

About 3 years ago I started feeling a tingling feeling in my left arm and the left side of my chest. Then one night I felt shortness of breath, dizziness and felt as if my heart was racing. I was rushed to the emergency room just for them to tell me everything was fine. I was rushed again 3 times after that with no conclusive answer. Then my general physician diagnosed it as anxiety and I was put on Xanor. This actually helped for a couple months but I started getting sharp pains in my left arm. So I went to see a cardiologist and he diagnosed me with MVP (mitral valve prolapse) and put me on Lanoxin. I am so glad that I haven't been going mad and there is really an issue with me as over the past 3 years it was worrying to have all these symptoms.

Comment from: Starwars, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 34 year old and last year I found out that I had a prolapsed heart valve. My heart would feel like it skipped a few beats then feel like it was going to burst out of my chest. I would have stabbing chest pain and could not lay on my left side when trying to sleep. My heart doctor did all the tests, EKG, echo ND blood work and found the prolapse. I am now on atenolol which helps with the palpitations and the chest pains. I also suffer from panic attacks but have been put on medications for that too.

Comment from: Shelley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

With mitral valve prolapse my heart was racing, and sometimes it felt like there was an extra beat, especially when I was sitting quietly.

Comment from: Dailydaisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) 17 years ago, although I've had symptoms much longer than that. I was put on Inderal for a while but stopped it because my heart rate decreased too much. I get exhausted easily and get frequent migraines and occasional vertigo.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?