Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: hemizonia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had occasionally detected faint heart murmur since childhood. In 2009, I developed irregular heartbeat, sinus rhythm. I was dropping a lot of beats, down to a rate of 40/minute. My chest would shake with each beat. The doctor I went to has MVP (mitral valve prolapse), knew the symptoms, started me on Ativan for anxiety and to slow down CNS (central nervous system). It helps. I have had stress and echo tests in 2009, and cardiology tests found nothing. Now I have a murmur and click. Fatigue is a big issue for me; and I guess anxiety. Doctors say best thing for erratic heart beat is to get up and run, walk fast, do something to get heart rate and blood pressure up. They say it can 'snap' the valve back in place. It does help a lot. The MVP doctor keeps an exercise bike both at his office and at home to quell his irregular beats.

Comment from: dhey0225, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I experienced chest pain and palpitation with mitral valve prolapse.

Comment from: AnnieB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

To my fellow mitral valve prolapse (MVP) patients. I was diagnosed with MVP when I was 38. I was having crazy pain in my chest, sometimes radiating out down my left arm. It flares up when I am stressed or emotional. Then I saw an acupuncturist who put me on an herbal formula called Heavenly Water. I don't know if that is standard for the diagnosis or just the formula my body needed to balance out the symptoms. But either way it works like a charm. I felt like a normal person again! I took it continuously for a while and all symptoms disappeared. I had to go off of it when I was pregnant and some symptoms came back, but mostly lighter than before. I am still nursing but much less and when the pain and nightly panic attacks came back, I went back on it and once again it has helped tremendously. I hope this information can help some of you, especially if you, like me, are not in resonance with pharmaceutical drugs.

Comment from: abigail, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I had my 2D echo twice and diagnosis was mild mitral valve prolapse with mitral regurgitation. When I consulted the cardiologist, I was told that MVP is congenital. Symptoms I usually experience are shortness of breath and chest pain, even when sleeping.

Comment from: donna, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I'm 38 years old and have recently been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP). I firstly started out with broken sleep and thumping of the heart that was terrible and really bad headaches. I went to see my general physician who diagnosed me with anxiety and panic attacks. I didn't think this was right but they were the professionals. Well I then started having more attacks and even in everyday things like shopping, stair climbing etc. I went to hospital numerous times and really felt awful and no one believed me. Eventually I had an ECG which showed something was wrong with my pulse. I was sent for an echocardiogram and this found MVP. I'm now waiting to see at what level I'm at. I stopped smoking 3 months ago. I am also so glad I found this site to know other people and their symptoms.

Comment from: Maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

It has been so refreshing to find this site and read other's experiences. I was just diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse (MVP) a few months ago. I had been seeing a doctor for 3 years due to increasing symptoms of muscle weakness, heavy fatigue, some shortness of breath and an overall feeling of being unwell. I am usually a very energetic and active person, but I was finding myself frequently missing work and unable to just get through a regular day. It finally got to the point where just walking around my house exhausted me and caused my heart to race, and shortness of breath. My general physician sent me to a cardiologist who diagnosed the MVP through an echo. I started a beta blocker to control my racing pulse. This has helped quite a bit. I still have frequent episodes of exhaustion, muscle cramps, and some shortness of breath. Stress and running a hectic schedule makes it worse. I keep being told by doctors and specialists that I shouldn't have any symptoms with MVP, especially because my prolapse is so minor, but I feel so much better reading all of your posts. Nice to know others are experiencing similar things.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?