Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Stella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I've had mitral value prolapse (MVP) for 28 years, and the symptoms started after the birth of my second baby. I had problems with what I thought was a breast not feeling right during nursing. But then my heart really raced and felt like it was stuck on the first beat. I fell into a closet; I thought I was having a heart attack. I was originally prescribed Quinidine Sulfate, something they would not prescribe today. It made me depressed, so I stopped it and just tried to deal with my emotions and calm myself after the spells. I noticed my hormones had a lot to do with it. I also had some weird spells where on my right side, by my eye, I could feel my heart in the pulse of my vein and my sight went strange. I started having what was believed to be panic attacks at this time, and my mitral valve prolapse problems would happen. Sometimes I had to leave grocery stores without groceries. In my 30s and 40s it was better. But now in my 50s, it is worrying me. I have medication if they get bad. Over the years, I haven't been able to run without having a spell or walk up steep steps.

Comment from: Mojeesha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am fatigued most of the time (I also have hypothyroidism). When I am especially worn out, I feel "stress" in my chest near my heart. It's not really pain, more of an ache. If I lay down a while it goes away. I sometimes feel depressed or suffer from panic attacks. Lately I've been experiencing vertigo (not sure if this is part of the MVP). I tend to get headaches frequently also.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

After back and forth to gp and hospital now desperate thinking I am going nuts due to anxiety exhaustion breathlessness light headed and dizziness it seemed my coping mechanism wasn't there. All seemed focused on my slow heart rate and said no connection to my symptoms. I also have MVP this seemed to be ignored as the leak is minimal. I am going for 2nd opinion today and I came across this site.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have fainted intermittently since the age of 12 and always attributed the episodes to dehydration, fatigue, hunger, etc. When I was 25, I began fainting for no apparent reason. I also suffered from palpitations that left me dizzy and short of breath. After passing out twice during a rotation at the hospital where I was a medical student, a cardiologist performed an EKG and an echocardiogram and diagnosed me with MVP. I took beta blockers for a few years, but the fatigue from the medications was too debilitating. I discontinued them and really haven't had too many problems except for occasional palpitations. I haven't fainted in almost three years.

Published: July 18

I have always felt like my heart "skipped" a beat as long as I can remember but only a few times a year. I also am often fatigued. Now, at 40, I started having chest pain and these "skipped beats" were happening 20 to 30 times a day. I went to the cardiologist who did a sonogram and diagnosed me with MVP. He told me to avoid caffeine, and I go back in a month.

Published: July 15

It was my cardiologist who finally told me I wasn't crazy, there is a "syndrome" (MVP Syndrome) that is really a malfunction of the autonomic system that gives symptomatic MVP'ers all these weird symptoms. For me, it's migraines, exercise intolerance (headaches, raised BP and HR), light-headedness, sleep disturbance, palpations, and fatigue.

Published: July 11

I am 15 years old, and my symptoms are a bit different. Often I experience fainting, and I feel as though my heart skips beats, but I have never had chest pains. I was diagnosed about a year ago, and the only thing I was told is to drink more water. I always feel dizzy when I stand up, but I have gotten used to it.

Published: July 09

I was diagnosed with SVT while pregnant and had an ablation after giving birth to try and correct the problem. My SVT symptoms returned and lately I have experienced more fatigue lately and severe shortness of breath when I run. I also started having an aching in my chest with palpitations. I have always had headaches, depression, and anxiety all my life, but it wasn't until I was diagnosed with MVP 2 weeks ago that I realized they were all related. Now my husband believes me that no matter how often I run I still get short of breath, even though I am in great shape.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?