Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

After back and forth to gp and hospital now desperate thinking I am going nuts due to anxiety exhaustion breathlessness light headed and dizziness it seemed my coping mechanism wasn't there. All seemed focused on my slow heart rate and said no connection to my symptoms. I also have MVP this seemed to be ignored as the leak is minimal. I am going for 2nd opinion today and I came across this site.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have fainted intermittently since the age of 12 and always attributed the episodes to dehydration, fatigue, hunger, etc. When I was 25, I began fainting for no apparent reason. I also suffered from palpitations that left me dizzy and short of breath. After passing out twice during a rotation at the hospital where I was a medical student, a cardiologist performed an EKG and an echocardiogram and diagnosed me with MVP. I took beta blockers for a few years, but the fatigue from the medications was too debilitating. I discontinued them and really haven't had too many problems except for occasional palpitations. I haven't fainted in almost three years.

Published: July 18

I have always felt like my heart "skipped" a beat as long as I can remember but only a few times a year. I also am often fatigued. Now, at 40, I started having chest pain and these "skipped beats" were happening 20 to 30 times a day. I went to the cardiologist who did a sonogram and diagnosed me with MVP. He told me to avoid caffeine, and I go back in a month.

Published: July 15

It was my cardiologist who finally told me I wasn't crazy, there is a "syndrome" (MVP Syndrome) that is really a malfunction of the autonomic system that gives symptomatic MVP'ers all these weird symptoms. For me, it's migraines, exercise intolerance (headaches, raised BP and HR), light-headedness, sleep disturbance, palpations, and fatigue.

Published: July 11

I am 15 years old, and my symptoms are a bit different. Often I experience fainting, and I feel as though my heart skips beats, but I have never had chest pains. I was diagnosed about a year ago, and the only thing I was told is to drink more water. I always feel dizzy when I stand up, but I have gotten used to it.

Published: July 09

I was diagnosed with SVT while pregnant and had an ablation after giving birth to try and correct the problem. My SVT symptoms returned and lately I have experienced more fatigue lately and severe shortness of breath when I run. I also started having an aching in my chest with palpitations. I have always had headaches, depression, and anxiety all my life, but it wasn't until I was diagnosed with MVP 2 weeks ago that I realized they were all related. Now my husband believes me that no matter how often I run I still get short of breath, even though I am in great shape.

Published: July 01

I experience fatigue breathlessness and also irregular heart rhythm it almost feels as though my heart has had a blow or dropping out of its socket often accompanied by a cough. I am starting to experience dizziness.

Published: July 01

I was just diagnosed with MVP 3 weeks ago after experiencing many of the symptoms at work dizziness, sweats, sharp pains in my chest and rapid breathing. It took my primary care physician and a cardiologist to diagnose me with the condition after numerous tests and procedures. I never heard of the condition before but thankfully with the help of Inderal, I am able to sleep and work peacefully and with the peace of mind.

Published: June 24

I have frequently had problems with anxiety, depression, fatigue, migraines, and panic attacks. Recently, the above symptoms have worsened to an intolerable level. I am now on a cocktail of drugs, each of which seems to increase the severity of a different symptom treated by another drug! Essentially, I take one drug for depression and anxiety which causes migraines, fatigue and panic attacks. The drug I take for migraines causes fatigue and depression. Etc.....It was not until 10 seconds ago that I knew that all of my symptoms are related to my MVP. I also never was told to medicate before Ob/Gyn and Urological visits.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?