Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 31

Sometimes, I can't breathe and have to hold my breath. Otherwise, my heart hurts and I feel like my heart will burst. It usually lasts from a few seconds to a minute. Other times, I get an uncomfortable chest pain and have to take short breaths. This usually lasts for a few minutes.

Published: July 16

It seems to always begin with a little cough, not the usual cough but a flutter and then my heart starts beating very fast. I usually sit and try to relax, I feel weak and when I stand up to walk I feel weak like I could faint, so I usually stay seated until it passes. It seems to last a lot longer now than it used to. I have had it for 10 years, with only occasional times when I experience these symptoms. When I went to the doctor 10 years ago, I was pregnant and did not want to take beta blockers.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?