Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 01

I experience fatigue breathlessness and also irregular heart rhythm it almost feels as though my heart has had a blow or dropping out of its socket often accompanied by a cough. I am starting to experience dizziness.

Published: July 01

I was just diagnosed with MVP 3 weeks ago after experiencing many of the symptoms at work dizziness, sweats, sharp pains in my chest and rapid breathing. It took my primary care physician and a cardiologist to diagnose me with the condition after numerous tests and procedures. I never heard of the condition before but thankfully with the help of Inderal, I am able to sleep and work peacefully and with the peace of mind.

Published: June 24

I have frequently had problems with anxiety, depression, fatigue, migraines, and panic attacks. Recently, the above symptoms have worsened to an intolerable level. I am now on a cocktail of drugs, each of which seems to increase the severity of a different symptom treated by another drug! Essentially, I take one drug for depression and anxiety which causes migraines, fatigue and panic attacks. The drug I take for migraines causes fatigue and depression. Etc.....It was not until 10 seconds ago that I knew that all of my symptoms are related to my MVP. I also never was told to medicate before Ob/Gyn and Urological visits.

Published: June 16

My first symptoms of mvp came about while working. It also came about during a very stressful time in my life. First I felt a sharp pain in my chest and then my heart started pounding and racing. Afterwards I started having these symptoms more frequently and at night while sleeping. The worst came about while sleeping and I was awakened from a sound sleep. The palpitations lasted for about 20 minutes. Throughout all of the palpitations I was also experiencing a feeling that my heart was cutting flips. I later found out that this was actually a skipped beat. Along with these symptoms I was also experiencing fatigue and feeling out of breath.

Comment from: Nathan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed 10 years ago with MVP. I had not had a check up for 3 years and had one the other day to find out that it has to be operated on at once, hopefully they can repair it, better than a mechanical one. The moral of the story is get it checked out yearly.

Comment from: butterfly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was diagnosed with MTV many years ago. I was told it was mild and have totally ignored it. I have always been into exercise, and it has not affected me other than skipped beats. It seems lately I am getting these skipped beats more often at night. I still don't let it effect my life. I am on Toprol, a beta blocker, but was put on it because my blood pressure rises when I get upset.

Comment from: Tiff5500, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am a 14 year old female and just today I was diagnosed with MVP. I was having small chest pains and heart palpitations. It only happened a couple times but it scared me, so I had an EKG and chest x-rays done and they both came back normal. Then I had to wear a holter monitor for 24-hours and get an echo done. The echo results show I had MVP, my doctor said it is nothing to really worry about as of now, but it is good to know that I have it. As for the results of the holter, I am not sure and will get them in a couple weeks. But right now I am just happy that I got a diagnosed, and now know that I am not a hypochondriac !! :]

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed in 1983 with MVP. I remember suffering from skipped heart beats and what I describe as the blood rushing to my head and then rushing to my feet. I have always suffered from dizziness and loss of breath.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?