Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Divarie, Published: May 20

I was diagnosed when I was 14. My doctor didn't prescribe any medications, just to have an echo once every two years. I went to another doctor just to make sure – they say I should be careful because there's a possibility of having a stroke. It's been seven years since I was diagnosed with MVP. Before, I only felt palpitations, tingling of my left hand, headaches, and sudden chest pain, which goes away in a few minutes. Sometimes when I'm short of breath, my back hurts. My cardiologist said that I just need to exercise the muscles on my back by stretching. Lately, I've been feeling this bruise-like pain that feels heavy. It's really bothersome and I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: BermyGee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I am in Bermuda. I also have MVP. I was told last year when I did a full physical. But before that, I was having complications such as coughing and sharp pinches around the heart and sternum and also an irregular heartbeat. Almost a year has passed since I was told of MVP, and things have gotten somewhat worse. Today, I am getting fatigued, my eyes look tired and red a lot, and I'm still coughing and having more and more pinches in the chest. My breathing is getting worse when I sit or lie down. My doctor told me if the breathing gets worse to go to the emergency room. I am 39 years old.

Comment from: Mare, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I was diagnosed with MVP more than 24 years ago. I am 46 now. I took beta blockers (for two months), and they made me so tired and out of it I stopped taking them. I get the flutters/palpitations all the time. I have never passed out. I have had only two electrocardiograms since the diagnosis. I have been told to basically ignore it. Do not breathe any differently when you get an attack or you can pass out due to hyperventilation rather than the MVP. Stress plays a major role in MVP, so try not to let that happen. Most of all, do not worry about it! If something changes, see your doctor and then discuss your options. This is a very livable condition. The nurse and I get a chuckle every time she takes my pulse as it does skip a beat very often!

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I feel that I have had this condition since I was 13 or 14. At that time, I would only have an occasional glub or flutter of the heart. At the age of 22 or 23, I mentioned this to my doctor and they did an EKG, which I thought was stupid because my symptoms were occasional. The EKG found nothing. They said I had anxiety instead and put me on Paxil. My heart continued to do the occasional flutter where it feels like it's pausing then making up for beats right away. Not one time that I have been to the doctor have they heard anything in the stethoscope. I am now 30 and for the past month, I have been experiencing more and more palpitations. Walking up a hill seems to make me out of breath. My mother has had mitral valve prolapse since her 20s, so I'm pretty sure I have it as well. I have no confidence in doctors and am terrified to go see one. Plus it seems to me that the medications they give me don't really help.

Comment from: Stella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I've had mitral value prolapse (MVP) for 28 years, and the symptoms started after the birth of my second baby. I had problems with what I thought was a breast not feeling right during nursing. But then my heart really raced and felt like it was stuck on the first beat. I fell into a closet; I thought I was having a heart attack. I was originally prescribed Quinidine Sulfate, something they would not prescribe today. It made me depressed, so I stopped it and just tried to deal with my emotions and calm myself after the spells. I noticed my hormones had a lot to do with it. I also had some weird spells where on my right side, by my eye, I could feel my heart in the pulse of my vein and my sight went strange. I started having what was believed to be panic attacks at this time, and my mitral valve prolapse problems would happen. Sometimes I had to leave grocery stores without groceries. In my 30s and 40s it was better. But now in my 50s, it is worrying me. I have medication if they get bad. Over the years, I haven't been able to run without having a spell or walk up steep steps.

Comment from: Mojeesha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am fatigued most of the time (I also have hypothyroidism). When I am especially worn out, I feel "stress" in my chest near my heart. It's not really pain, more of an ache. If I lay down a while it goes away. I sometimes feel depressed or suffer from panic attacks. Lately I've been experiencing vertigo (not sure if this is part of the MVP). I tend to get headaches frequently also.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?