Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: shan, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been suffering many symptoms over the past 12 months it began with headaches then depression anxiety, panic attacks and palpitations. I also experience other symptoms including chest pain, stinging in veins and shaking inside which must be my nerves. I have been to my GP on numerous occasions and have even visited AE! No one has diagnosed anything even after many tests. Basically, I felt like I was going crazy until I tap into this site and can't wait until tomorrow to contact my GP and basically diagnose myself. If it wasn't for finding this I probably would have cracked up. All I can say is don't suffer in silence.

Published: July 28

I was diagnosed with MVP about 3 years ago. I was having dizzy spells and palpitations a lot. I have also felt like I couldn't take a deep breath a lot of the time. I also suffer from feeling tired a lot of the time. I went to see the Cardiologist were they found MVP. I am relieved that I wasn't crazy. I also suffered with panic attacks that left me in the emergency room three different times thinking that something really bad was happening to me. My doctor put me on a Beta Blocker and an anxiety medication. Together the two have seemed to help the palpitations and extra beats or fluttering. I also have not suffered from a panic attack in a long while. I still suffer from feeling like I can not get a good breath a lot of the time, but over all I think I am more relaxed that I know what it is that is causing these crazy symptoms. I do notice that I have a much harder time maintaining and taking off weight now that I have been taking this medication. I wish everyone luck with MVP it is a very tricky problem and also scary at times. We just have to take each day at a time.

Published: July 25

I am a 23 year old female that one day had severe chest pain. This was the day that changed my life. I was at work, like any other day, when suddenly I had a terrible pain in my chest, I felt very short of breath, with hot flashes. I thought I was just sick. I turned pale white and felt as though I was going to pass out. With in two hours of feeling this way I was in the hospital hooked up to different machines. They couldn't determine what was wrong with me. I went home and two days later another episode that brought me to tears. I started noticing how I was short of breath after doing little things, like walking to the restroom or even from the living room to the kitchen to make coffee. My Dr. was struggling but determined to find what was wrong. He mentioned at one of my exams an irregular heart beat. He ordered an echo when finding out my father passed away at a young age, 47, do to an undetected heart problem. The echo showed the signs and confirmed that I had MVP. I kept complaining of a pressure on my chest. It felt like 10 tons of bricks just sitting there. Even though I was breathing and getting oxygen it felt as though I wasn't. My Dr. ordered every test known to man kind, to find out that it is MVP. It's been 2 months since all of this has started, I still have the pressure in my chest, I get the palpitations every day, and I am ready for a nap at about 2:00pm every day. It's encouraging to know that this is common. I have learned to live with the complications as mine don't seem to subside very often. I have taken things out of my life, IE. Coffee, alcohol etc. As it makes me feel worse, and my palpitations worse when those things are in my blood stream. It's hard being so young as the doctors are afraid to do anything. Every day is a new day and a new experience. My doctor right now is working towards getting me the proper medication needed so I can maintain a normal life.

Published: July 09

I'm from Palestine, since 4 years ago, when I was 20 years old, I was feeling irregular pulse rhythm and some chest pain, I visited many doctors but none of them determined my case. For making me relax they advise me to take Beta Blocker, I used to take beta blocker all the last period every 2 days.2 years ago a doctor determined that I have MVP and ask me to continue in taking beta blocker. So I feel depressed because I have to deal with beta blocker all the rest of my life. but before 2 months I research about MVP on the net and I found many useful things and I realized that MVP is related directly to the nervous system which affected by many kinds of food. So I begin drinking 2 liters of water daily and avoid taking caffeine especially coffee, tea, and chocolate. Now I just want to tell you that I stop taking BETA BLOCKER, and didn't feel any of the last symptoms, but some time I feel irregular pulse but I take some relaxers and every thing is going fine.

Comment from: suneeta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I have fatigue and shortness of breath occasionally, because of mitral valve prolapse (MVP).

Comment from: K.B., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm a 34-year-old mother of five with MVP. I've recently started having arm pain that my doctor says can be associated with MVP. I haven't read or heard of other having this symptom. It started with just the left arm but now both arms occasionally will ache and sometimes hurt to the point of tears.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?