Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 25

I am a 23 year old female that one day had severe chest pain. This was the day that changed my life. I was at work, like any other day, when suddenly I had a terrible pain in my chest, I felt very short of breath, with hot flashes. I thought I was just sick. I turned pale white and felt as though I was going to pass out. With in two hours of feeling this way I was in the hospital hooked up to different machines. They couldn't determine what was wrong with me. I went home and two days later another episode that brought me to tears. I started noticing how I was short of breath after doing little things, like walking to the restroom or even from the living room to the kitchen to make coffee. My Dr. was struggling but determined to find what was wrong. He mentioned at one of my exams an irregular heart beat. He ordered an echo when finding out my father passed away at a young age, 47, do to an undetected heart problem. The echo showed the signs and confirmed that I had MVP. I kept complaining of a pressure on my chest. It felt like 10 tons of bricks just sitting there. Even though I was breathing and getting oxygen it felt as though I wasn't. My Dr. ordered every test known to man kind, to find out that it is MVP. It's been 2 months since all of this has started, I still have the pressure in my chest, I get the palpitations every day, and I am ready for a nap at about 2:00pm every day. It's encouraging to know that this is common. I have learned to live with the complications as mine don't seem to subside very often. I have taken things out of my life, IE. Coffee, alcohol etc. As it makes me feel worse, and my palpitations worse when those things are in my blood stream. It's hard being so young as the doctors are afraid to do anything. Every day is a new day and a new experience. My doctor right now is working towards getting me the proper medication needed so I can maintain a normal life.

Published: July 09

I'm from Palestine, since 4 years ago, when I was 20 years old, I was feeling irregular pulse rhythm and some chest pain, I visited many doctors but none of them determined my case. For making me relax they advise me to take Beta Blocker, I used to take beta blocker all the last period every 2 days.2 years ago a doctor determined that I have MVP and ask me to continue in taking beta blocker. So I feel depressed because I have to deal with beta blocker all the rest of my life. but before 2 months I research about MVP on the net and I found many useful things and I realized that MVP is related directly to the nervous system which affected by many kinds of food. So I begin drinking 2 liters of water daily and avoid taking caffeine especially coffee, tea, and chocolate. Now I just want to tell you that I stop taking BETA BLOCKER, and didn't feel any of the last symptoms, but some time I feel irregular pulse but I take some relaxers and every thing is going fine.

Comment from: suneeta, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I have fatigue and shortness of breath occasionally, because of mitral valve prolapse (MVP).

Comment from: K.B., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm a 34-year-old mother of five with MVP. I've recently started having arm pain that my doctor says can be associated with MVP. I haven't read or heard of other having this symptom. It started with just the left arm but now both arms occasionally will ache and sometimes hurt to the point of tears.

Comment from: Caphewin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I first went to my doctor because I was having frequent choking episodes, and when they happened I had the worst pain shooting down my arms, like being jabbed with 1000 needles, and the pain would last for up to 30 minutes after I'd stopped choking. I was concerned with the pain in my arms, but doctor was concerned about the choking...so thyroid tests, GERD tests, nothing. Just got back from another follow and told doctor about the dizzy spells I've started having, as well as the palpitations. I was diagnosed with asthma as a child, but now when I describe the feeling when I'm having trouble breathing, it doesn't sound like asthma at all. This was a new doctor I saw today and she listened to my heart and said that I had a heart murmur, and very likely MVP as well. My question to others is, do you ever have sharp needle like pain going down your arms or across your chest or back from a bad coughing or sneezing fit?

Comment from: m wells, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was diagnosed with MVP during the pregnancy with my twins at age 38. I became very tired. anxious, and unmotivated. Although it did pass after their birth I have had continuing symptoms off and on. I am now 54 years old and have been going thru menopause and symptoms have worsened. Very tired anxious at times not motivated. Headaches and i feel not like myself at all. I have always been very energetic and my glass always half full. Now my energy level low and always down. My OB GYN says its horomones.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?