Patient Comments: Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Symptoms

For mitral valve prolapse (MVP), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I feel that I have had this condition since I was 13 or 14. At that time, I would only have an occasional glub or flutter of the heart. At the age of 22 or 23, I mentioned this to my doctor and they did an EKG, which I thought was stupid because my symptoms were occasional. The EKG found nothing. They said I had anxiety instead and put me on Paxil. My heart continued to do the occasional flutter where it feels like it's pausing then making up for beats right away. Not one time that I have been to the doctor have they heard anything in the stethoscope. I am now 30 and for the past month, I have been experiencing more and more palpitations. Walking up a hill seems to make me out of breath. My mother has had mitral valve prolapse since her 20s, so I'm pretty sure I have it as well. I have no confidence in doctors and am terrified to go see one. Plus it seems to me that the medications they give me don't really help.

Comment from: Stella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I've had mitral value prolapse (MVP) for 28 years, and the symptoms started after the birth of my second baby. I had problems with what I thought was a breast not feeling right during nursing. But then my heart really raced and felt like it was stuck on the first beat. I fell into a closet; I thought I was having a heart attack. I was originally prescribed Quinidine Sulfate, something they would not prescribe today. It made me depressed, so I stopped it and just tried to deal with my emotions and calm myself after the spells. I noticed my hormones had a lot to do with it. I also had some weird spells where on my right side, by my eye, I could feel my heart in the pulse of my vein and my sight went strange. I started having what was believed to be panic attacks at this time, and my mitral valve prolapse problems would happen. Sometimes I had to leave grocery stores without groceries. In my 30s and 40s it was better. But now in my 50s, it is worrying me. I have medication if they get bad. Over the years, I haven't been able to run without having a spell or walk up steep steps.

Comment from: Mojeesha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am fatigued most of the time (I also have hypothyroidism). When I am especially worn out, I feel "stress" in my chest near my heart. It's not really pain, more of an ache. If I lay down a while it goes away. I sometimes feel depressed or suffer from panic attacks. Lately I've been experiencing vertigo (not sure if this is part of the MVP). I tend to get headaches frequently also.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

After back and forth to gp and hospital now desperate thinking I am going nuts due to anxiety exhaustion breathlessness light headed and dizziness it seemed my coping mechanism wasn't there. All seemed focused on my slow heart rate and said no connection to my symptoms. I also have MVP this seemed to be ignored as the leak is minimal. I am going for 2nd opinion today and I came across this site.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have fainted intermittently since the age of 12 and always attributed the episodes to dehydration, fatigue, hunger, etc. When I was 25, I began fainting for no apparent reason. I also suffered from palpitations that left me dizzy and short of breath. After passing out twice during a rotation at the hospital where I was a medical student, a cardiologist performed an EKG and an echocardiogram and diagnosed me with MVP. I took beta blockers for a few years, but the fatigue from the medications was too debilitating. I discontinued them and really haven't had too many problems except for occasional palpitations. I haven't fainted in almost three years.

Published: July 18

I have always felt like my heart "skipped" a beat as long as I can remember but only a few times a year. I also am often fatigued. Now, at 40, I started having chest pain and these "skipped beats" were happening 20 to 30 times a day. I went to the cardiologist who did a sonogram and diagnosed me with MVP. He told me to avoid caffeine, and I go back in a month.

Published: July 15

It was my cardiologist who finally told me I wasn't crazy, there is a "syndrome" (MVP Syndrome) that is really a malfunction of the autonomic system that gives symptomatic MVP'ers all these weird symptoms. For me, it's migraines, exercise intolerance (headaches, raised BP and HR), light-headedness, sleep disturbance, palpations, and fatigue.

Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) - Diagnosis Question: How was your mitral valve prolapse (MVP) diagnosed?
Mitral Valve Prolapse - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your mitral valve prolapse (MVP)?